Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 7 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patsquilts View Post
    I think I've read all the instructions and viewed the videos -
    However I'm struggling with the placement of the long vines.

What would help me would be if I could strike a line on the patterns that I could line up with the seam that will join this unit to the existing center unit.

I understand that I need the center circle to be 1/2" to 3/4" from that imaginary line.
    What I need is the other end - the low dip of the arc.

How far up from the sewing line is the low dip of the arc????
    could you measure that for me???

Thanks, I appreciate all of your advice.
    My vine sits about 1" from the bottom seam of the completed border at the LOW dip. One of them is only 1/2", one is 1.125", most are about 1". I think it is more important they criss cross at about the middle. The photo with the red arrow is from the Month 9 blog and I will talk more about it then.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• Pat D. commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, this is helpful

With your help I decided to try to draw this out. Looking at that diagonal line was helpful. Thanks again I think this might work.

Comment

Thank you, Barbara, for all the great tips. I used the photos of the finished quilt to line up my placement sheets and appliqué pieces and it worked fine. I like that there is some freedom in the design and we don’t all have to use the same specific measurements.
      Deb B
      Minnesota

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly right.

Did you sew the 6 petals to medium circle first then medium circle to larger circle?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that is how I did it. And in the Month7 video Sarah shows adding the petals to the medium background circle first.

I am way behind and just started listening to Barbara's video which is excellent! I wouldn't be able to do this quilt without her videos and blogs as I am a newbie to needle-turn applique. This month's blog is next then I will attempt to catch up. Month 6 was really hard for me with lots of mistakes in my calculations so I had too many stars! Guess I will try to use them on the back.

Comment

I am ready to cut and prepare the long vines however when I measure out my green fabric at the 45-degree angle the length is not 25 inches but rather 23 inches. If I am to cut four of these long vines, each cut will be shorter that the previous one, and therefore none will be the required 25 inches as per the instructions. Should I sew some of the strips together in order to arrive at the 25-inch mark? If so, won't this look awkward? Please, I need some advice before cutting.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          Piece the green bias strips as needed to get the required length needed. Use a diagonal seam and press the seam open.

What is the best way to remove the marks from the silver pen we got in the kit? I marked the placement of the vines, then realized they ended in the wrong place. I lined up the placement papers on the correct angles and watched Sarah's video . Mine looked just like hers. But when I read the latest posts on the Forum I realized the lines were ending with the wrong curve and in the wrong place. Luckily, I had not sewn the vines! But now I have the silver lines on the fabric.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t understand what you mean about Forum posts making you think your vine placement is wrong if it looked like Sarah’s.
          Use the photo of the finished quilt to see how the vines are placed.
          Can you post a picture to show how you think you are off?

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Melanie H. I did not buy the kit, and I could not find the name of the pencil in the shop here at TQS. If it has a name on it, google it and
          you should be able to find the manufacturer. Go to their website and search FAQ or a lot of times they say on the
          site where it is sold, how to remove the marks. HelenW

Helen, I checked the website for Pentel Metallic pens and there is no mention of how to remove marks from fabric. Not even in the FAQ's. Has anyone else had success removing the marks?

Comment

• lehab375 commented
          Editing a comment
          I googled how to remove metallic pen marks from fabric and got several ideas, one of which was from Crayola. It says to use liquid dish soap to pre treat & run water over it until no more color is being removed. Then to use pads of paper towels underneath & rubbing alcohol with a cotton ball to daub until the stain is removed. Replace paper towels & cotton balls as needed. Another suggestion for not using the alcohol was sprinkling with baking soda & rubbing it in circles.

I used the metallic pen for the first round of circles, then went back to my tried & true method of using Clover brand fine white marking pen. I hated that I could see the metallic pen when I turned under the edges, so I won't use that method ever again. Sort of like how I tried Sarah's method of using aluminum foil to make the circles, but I ended up back with Karen Kay Buckley perfect circles.

Linda

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2572 users online. 349 members and 2223 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,314  
      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X