Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 5 — Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 5 — Show Your Progress Here

Please use this TOPIC to share your progress.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Month 5 is done for me. Time to start thinking about month 6. I love to use
    the BOM's as a time to tweak my creativity by going off in a different direction.
    HelenW

Comment

• Donna M. commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazing! I have managed to get the first set of 8 large triangles done...

• Suzanne F. commented
      Editing a comment
      Barbara, as always, I love how you "make it your own." What kind of stitch are you using? I assume I am seeing machine applique?

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Suzanne, I am Helen. The stitch I used to cover the raw edge applique is what Ricky Tims called
      the Twisted Chain stitch. It is couching by machine but as slow as hand stitching. You cross the
      thread in front of the needle then take 2 stitches and cross it again. I use #8 pearl cotton threads
      and DMC embroidery thread for the colors I did not have in pearl cotton. I am using flannel and
      raw edge gets a little ugly if not cover, and is really bulky when I used glued turned edge. I got the idea of just appliquéing everything from the Australian designers that TQS has had for a few BOM's.
      Wendy Williams and Irene Blanck both did applique in place of some of their piecing. I thought
      it odd, but with flannel thickness it is really wonderfully better in my opinion.Making it my own, is
      the most fun. I followed patterns exactly for decades, but after I learned to use EQ8 software
      I feel I can adapt anything I want to. It is all so much fun. HelenW

Is there a video on how to make the cabin, month 1? I couldn't understand the instructions.

Comment

• Donna M. commented
      Editing a comment
      Barbara Black answered your question in the Month 5 Ask Questions Forum. Are you all set?

Making sure all my ducks (geese) are all in a row. I have a definite light side.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Renee, You are right, the geese are all in a row. The ducks on our lake (Lake Coeur d Alene) are never in a row. The little ones scatter here there and every where. Your geese look great. HelenW

Just a start to see if I like it. I'm doing flying geese instead of 2 color hst's.
    Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Carol, I like the one color geese. How about that beautiful purple you have for the star. A little
      more contrast and it is nice to put the center of attention in a couple different places in the quilt. HelenW

• Holly M. commented
      Editing a comment
      Still working on month 4. Just a lot going on for me but I, too, am considering "full" flying geese vs HST flying geese. I think it will work to highlight the dense appliqué sections.

• Carol G. commented
      Editing a comment
      Helen I was going to try one of the blues. I see what the purple looks like with the yellow as well. Thank you

I have decided not to use the Unicorn Poop colors in the HST's. I think they disappear on the background fabric too much. So those will be the same colors. I didn't think about doing the full flying geese until I had already made my subcuts. I have the applique pieces cut and the stems in progress.

Comment

• Carol G. commented
      Editing a comment
      Donna - I agree with you about the light color triangles disappearing, I'm using my own stash so I'm auditioning different colors now

Month 5 plus 4 star blocks. I really love the light side/dark side HST's.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Renee, What a beautiful quilt you are creating. Never would have used green for the flowers but it looks great. The green sprigs after the geese tone down that area so your eye attention goes to stars
      and geese. You have great talent for picking colors. Very, Very Pretty!!! HelenW

• Deb B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Renee, lovely work!
      I’m curious - how did you know sizes to make the stars? Did I miss something?

I decided to create a pattern for the leaves and stem when I realized I had not allowed enough room for the berry if the stem is only 3.5 “….. may make the stem longer to accommodate the berry
    Elizabeth Anderson
    Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Elizabeth, You could just move the leaves down so you have the spacing you want. HelenW

• NinaMarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Officially love this idea of making a pattern. I will be doing this as well! Thank you!

Caught up for now
    Susan Skeel
    Des Moines Iowa

Comment

Beyond month five and working ahead, 20 star blocks and the rest of the geese. I LOVE this quilt.
      Last edited by Renee M.; 05-07-2023, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Marilyn M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Goodness! What a fast worker! Looking great.

• Pat D. commented
        Editing a comment
        wow you are doing great

• GypsyBobbin commented
        Editing a comment
        WoW!!! I love your work
        You’re a PRO

I got my first petals & berry done. I did what I saw someone here did...I drew a pattern based on this one. Hope that makes them all consistent. I also made my stem 4". I took Helen W up on her suggestion to use purple in my triangles. I think it toned down the yellow, which I had done first. Thank you Helen!
      Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking real good Carol!!!! What color sawtooth stars are you going to make?
        I just started making my next applique border to go around this one. Will post it when
        I get one set up and ready to stitch. HelenW
        Last edited by Helen W.; 05-09-2023, 07:52 AM.

Next border on my version of Homeward Bound is coming from one of Lori Smith's applique patterns.
      I was thinking my quilt has a bit of the folk art look to it. Lori's pattern Aunt Minnie's Best had a border
      that works great. I am always open to combining any thing that gives me the look, I am looking for.
      CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE THE BORDER ON THE RIGHT.
      HelenW
      Last edited by Helen W.; 05-09-2023, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Linda M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Helen, your work is beautiful. I did some appliqué using flannel years ago. It was very challenging. Yours is turning out to be beautiful. I wonder if you would mind sharing where you got the pattern for your cat and dog? I would like to steal the idea from you if you don't mind. I am making this quilt for my daughter who has 2 black cats and a big black dog! Thank you and can't wait to see what you come up with next. I love love love Aunt Minnie's Best border you used. Really nice.

Comment

• NinaMarie commented
        Editing a comment
        ohhhh I love your HST choices!! The stripes give it a lot of movement!

• Pat D. commented
        Editing a comment
        so pretty, looks great!

GQL

Comment

• Pat D. commented
        Editing a comment
        very nice with rich colors

Hi - I've finished this month and I think I will quilt it at this point. I hope to be able to join the borders after they are quilted.
      It's not easy for me to quilt a large piece on my small machine, so I think this will work - but it may turn out to be a baby quilt
      I used many scraps and most of the applique is sewn by machine with blanket stitch variations.
      I've enjoyed the process.

Comment

• Carol G. commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful! This design allows for a couple different stopping points.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1584 users online. 356 members and 1228 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,778   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,497  
    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
    X