Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 3 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 3 — Ask Questions Here

Please use this Topic to ask questions about Month 3
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

This may be a dumb question. But what does the back of good hand applique
    suppose to look like? I am trying my very best, but I do not know what I am working up to. I love this app and I am learning so much, but it does not take place of onsite learning for me.
    Sandie T.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      I am out of town for 5 days so don’t have mine with me. My answer would be “neat”. Someone can post a photo of their back to show you.

• Sandie T commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

Is it possible to use the actual fabric names from the color chart in the monthly instructions? I have found that I am doing a lot of detective work prior to each month just to figure out which fabric to use. Sarah’s fabric descriptions in the monthly written instructions do not match the color chart. I would ordinarily not care about such a thing and just use the fabrics I like, but since these are all pre-cuts, I don’t want to use too much of one fabric and not have enough of another. I have made makeshift chart of my own (it is the best I could figure without knowing what months 4-12 fabrics will be called)

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      No, that will not be possible. There is ample fabric, especially for the many small pieces. Use the chart which shows the fabric for each month to plan your blocks.

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Kris, Your fabric chart reminds me of the charts that I make doing Judy Neimeyer patterns.
      They do come in handy. I am doing Rainbow of Jewels by Jason Yenter and there are a lot
      of very similar colored fabrics, and to get the look created by the color placement you need to get the
      correct one. I made a chart like yours for that. I think you have done a great job just by using
      the pictures of the fabrics to place the swatches. HelenW

Continuation from my last post: Color Chart Photos pages 10-14

Comment

• Donna M. commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not agree with your choice of Dark Purple Stripe, Medium Purple Stripe. I do agree with your Light Purple Stripe being the Tiny Stripes-Honesty.
      I have the Dark Purple Stripe as Tiny Stripes-Aster and the Medium Purple Stripe as Tiny Stripes Mystic.

• commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I too have struggled with the fabric names from the descriptions. I will refer to your chart going forward,

Continuation: Color Chart pages 15-16 I found it helpful to clip a snip of each fabric and attach to the color chart. Then I yellow highlighted the fabric name and wrote in the description that is given in the monthly instructions. This is if you want to follow the instructions exactly as written. I might just throw caution to the wind and ‘wing it’ with my favorite fabrics….but that will be a bigger struggle for me; I love them all! This has helped me keep things a bit more organized.

Comment

• Ann W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for this. I was doing the same. Since I bought the kit I was hoping that there would be a bit more detail about which fabrics to use were. This is the 1st BOM that I have bought a kit for so I guess I learned a little lesson.

• Marilyn W. commented
      Editing a comment
      I sure agree that it would be helpful if the fabric names were consistent. The detective work to figure it out took a long time. Thanks for doing the chart. I’ll certainly refer to it as we go forward.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    suppose to look like? I am trying my very best, but I do not know what I am working up to. I love this app and I am learning so much, but it does not take place of onsite learning for me.
    Sandie, I am doing machine edge stitching, but your question is a good one. I googled hand embroidery backside, what should
    it look like and looked at Images. There are plenty, and plenty of opinions. Some say it should be as neat as the front side and
    some say it doesn't matter if it is a mess, unless it shadows thru to the front. A couple tips would be not to travel from one
    circle to the next if you have a light colored background because you might see the thread color shadowing thru. Another
    would be to do the knots under the applique so it does not show in the background. Here are a couple screen shots. HelenW

PS On TQS search hand embroidery. There are plenty of shows. Becky Goldsmith is one of my favorite for hand embroidery.

Comment

• Sandie T commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Helen, I didn't even think about googling.
      I am trying to make mine neat looking, trying. llol

• Donna M. commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what the back of embroidery looks like. The back of hand applique is different. If you watch Sarah Fielke's video for Month Three, she is showing the needle-turn applique technique. Little stitches that you should only see a tiny dash on the backside.

• Sandie T commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Donna. I will rewatch that video. And I agree with you , I thought maybe I could google the back of applique.

You have made reference several times to your Month 2 blog where you talk about why you have a leaf in an odd position. I can't find Month 2 Blog--where do I look?

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Barbara Black's blog is not on The Quilt Show website. If you google her name and My Joyful Journey you will get it. If you have not accessed before take the time to look thru all the blogs.
      It is a wealth of free quilter tips, tricks, and advice. I spent a month reading and still did not get thru all of the blogs. HelenW

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a direct link on the Introduction page for the BOM.

I did not realize you could not post a picture to a Comment, so here is a picture of the Home Screen for Barbara Blacks
    website. This is what you are looking for. HelenW
    Click on the picture to enlarge it.

Comment

Not a question, rather a comment. "Blue Spot" is listed in Month 3 cutting instructions. It was not listed on the Fabric Requirements document as being used in Month 3. "Blue Spot" is the Tiny Dots Bluebell. It was used in Month 2 to make four D circles. Month 3 is asking for four B circles.
      I know you are advising us all to not be so worried about which fabrics we use for what because we have plenty of all of it. I can not help myself though! LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Hi Sandy, I grabbed some dark fabric from my stash to take a few stitches to show you what the backside would look like. Tiny stitches. But it will be hidden from view when you make the quilt sandwich at the end.

Comment

• Sandie T commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to do this!
          I LOVE the quilt show, but I do miss looking at these details when you take an in-person class. I am a newbie and have Lots to learn. I really love doing this hand work.

• NinaMarie commented
          Editing a comment
          I second this...the back of my hand applique looks like small running stitches and small little knots. I would have taken a picture but my background fabric is dark eggplant and I used grey 100wt thread so you can barely see it on the back.

So this question is about Roxanne Glue Baste-it ... this is the first time I've used it and I think it's the bomb BUT is there a way that I can keep the long needle nozzle from clogging up? All I'm doing is putting a drop where it's needed, then recapping. After a while, the long nozzle gets clogged and I have to rinse it in hot water and clean it all out. Am I doing something wrong?
        Nina-Marie
        Albion, PA
        ninamariesayre.blogspot.com
        "Make it Work", Tim Gunn

Comment

• NinaMarie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks - I'll try the long pin first and if that doesn't work - I'll try the toothpick!

• NinaMarie commented
          Editing a comment
          I did end up just blowing out the access glue in the nozzle by using the air in the bottle, like the youtube video suggested. I liked the pin idea - but get this - it rusted the pin. I did 3- A circles before I realized that the glue was rust-brown and showing through the fabric!! GRRRR So I had to take them out - make sure all the rust glue was gone from the bottle and re-do the three little circles. (somylife!)

• Marilyn W. commented
          Editing a comment
          To keep your glue applicator from clogging, use a plastic tag that you get on the price tag of new clothing. Cut off the tag leaving the “tail” as long as possible. Then insert it into the nozzle on the bottle of glue. I hope this makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Watch this video to see how to care for Roxanne Glue Baste it and the needle point syringe.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

Where can i find the pattern for month 3? I have it for the center, the stems and the triangles, and the circles, but not the big blue flowers

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            The coneflowers are published in Month 4.

Does anyone remember the American brand name of the silver gel pen in our kit? I love this pen for marking but can’t afford Sarah’s price from Australia. I remember hearing this info but can’t find where it was. Sorry
          Thanks for help
          Susan
          Susan Skeel
          Des Moines Iowa

Comment

• Norma H. commented
            Editing a comment
            I ordered from JetPens.com, 2050 Gateway Pl, Ste 100-184, San Jose CA 95110

Originally posted by NinaMarie View Post
          I did end up just blowing out the access glue in the nozzle by using the air in the bottle, like the youtube video suggested. I liked the pin idea - but get this - it rusted the pin. I did 3- A circles before I realized that the glue was rust-brown and showing through the fabric!! GRRRR So I had to take them out - make sure all the rust glue was gone from the bottle and re-do the three little circles. (somylife!)
          The video I watched said to NOT put a pin in the nozzle because it will rust.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

• NinaMarie commented
            Editing a comment
            andddddd they would be right - lol!! I like the idea of a plastic tag but I just haven't found one yet! Blowing out the air has worked great, but then you're wasting just about as much glue as you put used!

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1585 users online. 186 members and 1399 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,774   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,497  
        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Best batting for art quilting.
          Helen W. Thank you so very much for you messages! Wow they are so helpful. Some answers. The quilt is due May 4. The finished...
          Susan D. Do you know how to do any hand embroidery stitches. If you look at my coloring book
          page hanging above your...
          Susan D, I do use warm and natural batting most of the time. Whether to quilt first or after the applique is on depends...
        • MONTH 3 -- Show Your Progress Here
          Alice I love your ideas here. It gives a whole different look to the quilt.
          I have also been experimenting with some alternate choices. if you enlarge the photo there are 2 pictures to see. They aren't...
          Helen I am sorry for jumping on this post. I tried to send you a private message but I couldn't. I am working on this wall...
        • MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here
          I think you mean the Month 2 Block 1 blocks. There are 3 things we can do wrong when piecing blocks: the cutting, sewing,...
          Jennifer, Could you post a picture of your 4 blocks that make up the center star? This was discussed in month 1 several...
          Help! My Block 1 blocks are all too small by about 1/2". Any suggestions to correct the sizing? I can not bear to...
          An alternate block idea...
        • COLORING PAGE Available
          Hi. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, have been doing some travelling. I would love to share but the drawing is...
        • Need advice re: bobbin quilting
          Kati, Is the picture on your posting name the parrot? Pretty bird. Glad you got your quilt basted. I am using
          Invisafil...
        • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X