Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 9 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 9 — Ask Questions Here

Please use this TOPIC to ask questions.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Barbara, in the video today you referenced a Sue Garmin float border technique. I'm glad you have it your instructions, but it occurs to me that I might want to get her instructions on this as well. Did it come from a particular book or pattern?

Comment

[QUOTE=PatinNC;n894002]Barbara, in the video today you referenced a Sue Garmin float border technique. I'm glad you have it your instructions, but it occurs to me that I might want to get her instructions on this as well. Did it come from a particular book or pattern?[/QUOTE]

Pat, I am glad you asked. Yes, almost every pattern Sue wrote has her "floater border" instructions. I learned it with her Washington Medallion quilt, and Stars for a New Day, and Ruffled Roses--the last two were BOMs for The Quilt Show and are still available from her shop, [url]www.comequilt.com[/url]

Because I wanted to keep the info readily available, and with her permission, I created a Tutorial on my blog for "Floater Borders". Find it here:

[url]https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/2016/04/tutorial-magic-of-floater-borders.html[/url]

It is the one technique I am most happy I learned because I love pieced borders, make them often, but want then to FIT. The Floater makes that happen. It is also called a "coping border"--because it lets us "cope" with odd size borders.

I hope this helps.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL

Comment

• Pat A. commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect! I've read your blog post and it makes sense. Exactly what I wanted to know.

I'm afraid my personal quilting and piecing style falls into the category of "fudge quilting." So I'm always looking for ways to get back on track. Pieced borders are something I want to do more in the future so this helps a bunch.

Barbara, Great month 9 video and information! I especially liked the outer border advice on fabric choice/construction method. Thank you. I am woefully behind, I am just starting May block seven, an am hand stitching using Apliquick tools and QS print and piece fuse lite and QS pre-wound multi-color bobbins. (Love how stitches disappear!)

My question: is it possible to have the rough cut sizes of blocks for months 10 and 11? I want to make sure I have large enough background pieces set aside before I start the monkey wrench blocks.
      UPDATE, please disregard my question, I found the answer in your June 3rd post. Thank you.
      Last edited by Terri S.; 09-03-2022, 12:16 PM. Reason: Found the answer in the Forum!
      terri s.
      Quilting is my daily fiber therapy!

Comment

Barbara, I would like to have my GPDU quilt a little larger all around so it will fit the top of a queen-sized bed. I am thinking of adding an applique border similar to the one in Month 2. Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas you have to accomplish this. This is my first attempt at BOM and am appreciating all your instruction and advice. Amy

Comment

[QUOTE=98Amy;n894071]Barbara, I would like to have my GPDU quilt a little larger all around so it will fit the top of a queen-sized bed. I am thinking of adding an applique border similar to the one in Month 2. Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas you have to accomplish this. This is my first attempt at BOM and am appreciating all your instruction and advice. Amy[/QUOTE]

Amy, you can certainly add an additional border or two. Applique beyond the Diamond borders would be perfectly fine.

Figure out what size you want and start drawing. Work with paper half the length you want and design from the center out to the edge, so you only have to draw half of the border--flip it over for the other half. Center is where the design really shows so put some element you like there.

There are many shows here on TQS about applique and borders. Use the SEARCH box at the very top of each page to find them. You can also look at quilts in the Gallery that show lots of borders too, to give you ideas. And there is always Pinterest to look at Applique Borders--you will get tons of ideas there.

I look forward to seeing what you do.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

Hi Barbara, how do I find your GPDU sample quilt, I really like your colors. Your sample helped me figure out last months colors. Thanks Pam

Comment

[[email protected];n894074]Hi Barbara, how do I find your GPDU sample quilt, I really like your colors. Your sample helped me figure out last months colors. Thanks Pam[/QUOTE]

Here is mine in the Studio in Dallas August 2021. My blog always shows my blocks for that month's information too.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

Hi Barbara I haven't been available to work along with Garden Party Down Under but wonder.... Will the videos be available after 2022 even though the pattern will no longer be available?

Comment

[[email protected];n894421]Hi Barbara I haven't been available to work along with Garden Party Down Under but wonder.... Will the videos be available after 2022 even though the pattern will no longer be available?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the videos remain. And my blog posts remain at my blog, providing lots of information.
                  Barbara Black
                  Huntsville AL

Comment

what is everyone using for a backing for garden party down under I was thinking of this? what do you think?

Comment

I was offline for the last three months....how can I get Month 11 and 12 of this pattern?

Comment

[QUOTE=SimoniQuilts;n895410]I was offline for the last three months....how can I get Month 11 and 12 of this pattern?
                        [/QUOTE]

Contact Irene Blanck through her website to ask about buying them from her. After December 31, 2022 we no longer have the rights to provide them. It is also copyright violation for anyone to give them to you. We want to honor and protect the rights of our designers.
                        Barbara Black
                        Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1066 users online. 160 members and 906 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X