Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Tall buildings--show your progress here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DebbiG View Post
    A couple more to go. I had a similar issue to bpaluzzi on the RS buildings - getting the roof shadows to match up. From a distance it probably won't be noticeable, but I'm paying more attention to my 1/4" seams. Thanks for the tip, Barbara.
    Accurate 1/4" seams are the key. During 2020 I completed "Little Amsterdam" (posted in my photos) that was pieced and not paper pieced. About a zillion points that had to match up. My method is difficult to explain. I learned to take a single straight pin and poke it through the exact spot the pieces had to match. Then slide the two pieces up to the glass top bead to fix the spot. Then pin on both side the first pin. Soon I learned that using thinner thread and my most accurate 1/4" guide, accurate pressing of the pieces needing to match, the easier it became to have the best match up. In my case it was practice, practice, practice on Little Amsterdam that made the CMW shadows match first time.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

• pmoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your tip, it has helped me a great deal!

Originally posted by Libbi View Post

Accurate 1/4" seams are the key. During 2020 I completed "Little Amsterdam" (posted in my photos) that was pieced and not paper pieced. About a zillion points that had to match up. My method is difficult to explain. I learned to take a single straight pin and poke it through the exact spot the pieces had to match. Then slide the two pieces up to the glass top bead to fix the spot. Then pin on both side the first pin. Soon I learned that using thinner thread and my most accurate 1/4" guide, accurate pressing of the pieces needing to match, the easier it became to have the best match up. In my case it was practice, practice, practice on Little Amsterdam that made the CMW shadows match first time.
    Libbi, I looked up your Little Amsterdam in member quilts. It is amazing. It has a lot of similiarities to this project. Really like the blue and white color palette with the accents of red and green. I am surprised that it is not a paper pieced block technique. You certainly did a great job at matching points. HelenW

Comment

Such fun! Can't wait for the next round of tall buildings.

Comment

Finished my month 6 tall buildings last week. I’ve been using Acorn Precision Piecing glue to glue baste the seams for putting the sections together. Just a few dots of glue really holds the seam in place so that there’s no shifting or distortion from pinning when I sew the seams. Really handy.

I’ve been having issues posting to the forum… I know they are still working out some of the kinks.
        Beth Bell Lavoie

Comment

Originally posted by nhbaskets View Post

I was thinking about making my wool buildings the colors of the real life structures. After doing a mock-up on paper, I’ve decided to stick with the same color palette as what has already been done. This is my mock-up. I think these are too dull.
          Update: I've built some tall buildings, a skyscraper and a little house in the city over the past week. Glad I decided to keep with the same color palette as used in the small houses. Buildings are restaurants and shop close to our home. The corner skyscraper is City Hall in our town and the little house is our current home. Our dog, Bingo will probably be added looking out of one of the windows, but holding off until I determine the road. Since I'm designing these from scratch, my plan is to work in eight sections to complete the outer circle. I plan on having 24 buildings (3 in each of the 8 section) rather than 32 buildings. There will probably be a few bridges thrown into the mix. Having too much fun!
          Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

• Lori commented
            Editing a comment
            This is amazing! You are inspiring me to try felt applique!

• brigitte.wieser commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Wow! Wow! So amazing !!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tall houses.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	885477 My tall houses Click image for larger version

Name:	Tall houses.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	885476

Comment

my tall buildings
            Last edited by moonglow2017; 06-11-2021, 09:35 PM. Reason: Sorry I have posted sideways- do not know how to rotate,posting pictures for me is very difficult

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t know how to rotate photos either, no worries. Yours look great!

Originally posted by nhbaskets View Post

Update: I've built some tall buildings, a skyscraper and a little house in the city over the past week. Glad I decided to keep with the same color palette as used in the small houses. Buildings are restaurants and shop close to our home. The corner skyscraper is City Hall in our town and the little house is our current home. Our dog, Bingo will probably be added looking out of one of the windows, but holding off until I determine the road. Since I'm designing these from scratch, my plan is to work in eight sections to complete the outer circle. I plan on having 24 buildings (3 in each of the 8 section) rather than 32 buildings. There will probably be a few bridges thrown into the mix. Having too much fun!
            Carole,
            Your details are so, so cute. Love how you can translate your ideas into stitches. The tiny flowers in the window, the clock on
            your city hall building. I was looking at your home picture. I was hoping to see you in the window looking out at the beautiful world you have created. Not too late to add that little detail. Thank you for all the inspiration you have given everyone on the BOM.
            Like you, I am having too much fun watching you have too much fun. Go Carole Go!!! Your personal cheerleader. HelenW

I have quilted the main section of my Hook Line and Sinker quilt and when I get the borders done, I will back to working on my flannel version of Color My World. I am getting lots of great ideas from you and other TQS members so it is not a bad thing that I needed to get this other quilting done first.

Comment

• Carole B. commented
              Editing a comment
              HelenW--You are too kind. I hope some day we can meet, as I would love to give you a big hug! Our fur baby, Bingo, will be looking out the window of this house and will be somewhere in our previous home (maybe digging a hole looking for chimpmunks!) Funny that you mention me adding myself. I've though about adding people, but have decided that only animals will be depicted on this quilt. And the time on the City Hall clock is when our my son was born. I had intended to put the time I was born, but would you believe I messed up the minute and hour hand! That's what the digital world has done to us! I might end up changing it and putting my son's birth time on the clock of another building that is more relevant to him. Please do post a photo of your Hook Line and Sinker quilt when it's done! Best, Carole B.

My second set of Tall buildings
            Susan Skeel
            Des Moines Iowa

Comment

Here are my Tall Building 1 RS & LS blocks. I was more careful as I made the rest of the LS blocks and the shadow came out much better. I especially was careful to have the segments in the right order. I didn't take them off the freezer paper until I was about to sew them together. I am wondering if on the first one I did if I mixed up the segments. The RS blocks just came together. Not having the second piece to the top I think helped. I love the colors in the kit, but I have to say that I am seeing so many really beautiful buildings with the creative choices in fabric and design. I'll have to think about doing this project again and branching out a bit. Thanks everyone for such wonderful inspiration. And thanks Barbara for your inspiration and guidance.

Beth Palluzi
              Beth Palluzi

Comment

I’ve completed my 8 tall houses #1. Not every one is perfect x a shadow off by a little here, a window skewed there, but overall very happy so far….using a lot of Cherrywood hand dyes .
                Sally Gould Wright

Comment

My completed Tall Buildings.....eagerly awaiting some neighbours!

Comment

Here are my tall buildings and my completed centre. I had to play catchup this month as I was away from home some of April and all of May. My centre is not perfect but quilting should hide the imperfections. I changed my mariners compass as the original looked a little bland. Looking forward to next month.
                    Queensland Australia

Comment

• Joyce O. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      love your progress!!

I completed my June buildings. July will be here shortly!
                    I had trouble using the freezer paper for matching the tops of the building shadows. Instead I used Perfect Piecing foundation sheets just for the tops. Then it was easy to match and remove. I also used the acorn product instead of pins. Neat little dots of the product on the top on one side did the trick.
                    I have been adding fabric from my other quilt show projects. My shadows on some of these buildings are Kaleidescope by Alison glass from the spinning spools project.
                    Last edited by Carol M.; 06-23-2021, 06:27 AM. Reason: More info on how I did it.

Comment

• Marti O. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for the hint to use paper piecing for the top of the buildings. I have tried 3 times to get back at this project (between travel and other quilts) but every time I did the shadows would not line up and I just couldn’t find the time to search out the answer on the forum. Finally sat down this morning. I had not thought to use paper. Thanks.

A little bit late, but not too late, I did my tall buildings. What a fun after two months of trees and roads to mix and match colors again
                    Quilting forever, Housework whenever! 

Comment

• alma c. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I love your comment "a little bit late but not too late". It stopped me in my tracks. I have been a member since the beginning. I am now cutting my small houses 1&2!!! Coloring my world with much love! much appreciation for all the beautiful sharing everyone has done and continue to share Here.
                      After much Forum gazing for inspiration It time to begin my first BOM!! THANK YOU ALEX, RICKY
                      and Barbara.b, "construction manager" !!!!! this title stopped me in my tracks as well. Laughed a hardy life knowing I needed to thank many Members, worker bees, teachers editors camera people, quilters, artist. amazing ! THE QUILT SHOW is beyond my wildest dreams and it still knocks my socks off!! I am 77 next month started my quilt journey in 90 something log cabin class and watched simply quilts faithfully. Love my journey with everyone of you!!!!!!!

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1598 users online. 169 members and 1429 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,774   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,497  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Best batting for art quilting.
                    Helen W. Thank you so very much for you messages! Wow they are so helpful. Some answers. The quilt is due May 4. The finished...
                    Susan D. Do you know how to do any hand embroidery stitches. If you look at my coloring book
                    page hanging above your...
                    Susan D, I do use warm and natural batting most of the time. Whether to quilt first or after the applique is on depends...
                  • MONTH 3 -- Show Your Progress Here
                    Alice I love your ideas here. It gives a whole different look to the quilt.
                    I have also been experimenting with some alternate choices. if you enlarge the photo there are 2 pictures to see. They aren't...
                    Helen I am sorry for jumping on this post. I tried to send you a private message but I couldn't. I am working on this wall...
                  • MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here
                    I think you mean the Month 2 Block 1 blocks. There are 3 things we can do wrong when piecing blocks: the cutting, sewing,...
                    Jennifer, Could you post a picture of your 4 blocks that make up the center star? This was discussed in month 1 several...
                    Help! My Block 1 blocks are all too small by about 1/2". Any suggestions to correct the sizing? I can not bear to...
                    An alternate block idea...
                  • COLORING PAGE Available
                    Hi. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, have been doing some travelling. I would love to share but the drawing is...
                  • Need advice re: bobbin quilting
                    Kati, Is the picture on your posting name the parrot? Pretty bird. Glad you got your quilt basted. I am using
                    Invisafil...
                  • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X