Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Tall buildings--show your progress here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s my tall bldgs#1. I’m enjoying seeing the pics but only show 3 pages under this topic, surely there are more I’m loving making the quilt but this website is very frustrating

Comment

Originally posted by midnight33 View Post
      Here’s my tall bldgs#1. I’m enjoying seeing the pics but only show 3 pages under this topic, surely there are more I’m loving making the quilt but this website is very frustrating
      There are only 3 pages so far, that’s it. You have great TB #1’s.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• midnight33 commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you Barbara......I just received a new laptop this morning (thanks to Amazon Prime Days) everything makes much more sense on the laptop than on my iph12 or even my new Ipad. So weird that things are so different on different electronics, its challenging to keep up with tech stuff at my age

My Tall Buildings #1. I have identified a couple to add addresses for places my son has lived. Not sure how I will do this yet. Thinking writing with a pen as the embroidery sample I tried didn't turn out as I had hoped. I welcome any ideas!
      ~Nancy

Comment

We are half way in this QAL. Some maybe busy with Summer. I continue to love these buildings now tall ones. As we will not be able to move them around like first row, trying to make sure my colors are spread around. I continue to pull my scraps for this project.Thank you Barbara for all your tips and guidance on this quilt. Have learned a great deal.
        Linda H
        Happy Quilting 

Comment

Originally posted by lholzhu View Post
          We are half way in this QAL. Some maybe busy with Summer. I continue to love these buildings now tall ones. As we will not be able to move them around like first row, trying to make sure my colors are spread around. I continue to pull my scraps for this project.Thank you Barbara for all your tips and guidance on this quilt. Have learned a great deal.
          You are most welcome. This is a great scrap buster project.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL
          https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Lee-luv2craft54 View Post
            My Tall Buildings #1. I have identified a couple to add addresses for places my son has lived. Not sure how I will do this yet. Thinking writing with a pen as the embroidery sample I tried didn't turn out as I had hoped. I welcome any ideas!
            Not sure if you were trying to do machine or hand embroidery in your samples. I'm doing wool applique on wholecloth linen and have added house numbers on family houses on the small houses, as well as business names on the several of the tall buildings. When not done freehand, I sometimes use press and seal (from the grocery store) applied to the quilt, then draw out what I want to embroider. I'm using Valdani perle cotton for the embroidery. Just remove the press and seal (very carefully) once done. Give it a try on a sample!
            Last edited by Carole B.; 06-27-2021, 11:03 AM.
            Carole Berry

Comment

• Helen W. commented
              Editing a comment
              Carole B, Love the flying geese applique. It looks great. Are you going to use about 8 colors or just alternate the two in the picture?
              I have been floating in the lake, too hot here in North Idaho to do summer outside projects and/or sew the past few days. We have temps that are supposed to be around 107 for several days and then 90's for the foreseeable future. Just getting my Glacier Star quilt back from
              a friend in Colorado that did the longarm quilting on it. Can't wait to get it next week.I will need to cut off the excess batting, square up, bind it and put a label on it. It might move to the top of the Finish This List. It is queen size. It is a Judy Neimeyer pattern that I modified and put bird blocks in the setting squares around the star.
              I made blocks with birds we have here in North Idaho. HelenW
              Last edited by Helen W.; 06-27-2021, 07:06 AM.

• Karen J. commented
              Editing a comment
              Your hand embroidered trees are great. Are the houses on the upper road your designs?
              If not, were are you getting the patterns? thanks

My TB1 set is completed.
            Lower Mainland, British Columbia, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by HelenW View Post
              Carole B, Love the flying geese applique. It looks great. Are you going to use about 8 colors or just alternate the two in the picture? HelenW
              Before working on more tall buildings, I’ve been auditioning various ideas for my outside road. This has been a real struggle, as nothing has really spoken to me. I’m warming up to the flying geese and would use the 8 colors in my center compass going around the road. Yesterday I saw a quilt posted by Wendy Williams that she had just finished which has given me some inspiration for what to do under the little houses in the city.

Hot weather has made its way into my corner of the world in seacoast New Hampshire. Thank goodness for AC. Stay cool and have a good week!
              Carole Berry

Comment

Originally posted by nhbaskets View Post

Before working on more tall buildings, I’ve been auditioning various ideas for my outside road. This has been a real struggle, as nothing has really spoken to me. I’m warming up to the flying geese and would use the 8 colors in my center compass going around the road. Yesterday I saw a quilt posted by Wendy Williams that she had just finished which has given me some inspiration for what to do under the little houses in the city.

Hot weather has made its way into my corner of the world in seacoast New Hampshire. Thank goodness for AC. Stay cool and have a good week!
                Carole B, You might want to audition various layouts of flying geese. I was thinking maybe shorter color sections, like maybe
                3 of a color and then switch to another color. Or audition changing the color in a uniform layout of 1 goose of each of the colors you plan to use. If you don't want to cut up your wool not knowing if you would use the pieces, I have laid my fabric on the printer glass
                and made a page copy in color and then just cut the geese out of printer paper. I know the cost of color ink is a lot now days, but it is just another idea. When I designed a quilt layout for a friends quilt, Seasonal Silhouettes, we used flying geese in a variety of batik colors and it turned out great. I mentored her through the quilt, it was her first quilt. And like you she wanted to jump in the deep end. The other one using
                color sequence with flying geese is my Glacier Star. I just kept the rotation of colors the same. HelenW
                Last edited by Helen W.; 06-27-2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I am trying to post Patty Henry's Tall buildings. I have her permission.

Comment

Carole B, You might want to audition various layouts of flying geese. I was thinking maybe shorter color sections, like maybe
                    3 of a color and then switch to another color. Or audition changing the color in a uniform layout of 1 goose of each of the colors you plan to use. HelenW
                    Oh my, these are gorgeous! I can’t wait to get into quilting. Finding it rather intimidating, which may be due to the new machine I bought. Haven’t touched it since the day it came home. Need to get over that—soon!

I had start out with the various colors, then moved onto grouping them with same colors. Need to sleep on it some more.
                    Carole Berry

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Carole B. I was just looking at your post from 6/10/2021 to get an overall feel for your quilt when considering the outside road. A lot of times repetition is a good thing in a quilt. I think it would look really good if you just repeated what you did in the inside road. I think it would be a little more resting place for the eye than to go with a bunch of other shapes. Since you mentioned you find your new sewing machine a little intimidating, and you love hand work, maybe you should follow in the foot steps of Jinny Beyer and make your first pieced quilt a hand pieced quilt. If you have not seen her fabulous hand pieced and hand quilted quilts
                      you are missing something. Back in the days of VHS tapes I had her hand quilting tape. She is a fabulous teacher and her color
                      theory is my way of thinking about color. She has a ton of free quilt patterns on her website and lots of tutorials.She sells a book on how to hand piece on her website. The title is Quiltmaking By Hand. HelenW
                      Last edited by Helen W.; 06-28-2021, 07:17 AM.

• Karen J. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I love your buildings on the outside road, are they your own designs, or are they from the quilt we are doing now?

• kay graap. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your embroidery stitching is fantastic!!!

Here are my tall buildings #1 - same color pallet as the small houses. I really like this quilt! -Mike

Comment

Carole B. I was just looking at your post from 6/10/2021 to get an overall feel for your quilt when considering the outside road. A lot of times repetition is a good thing in a quilt. I think it would look really good if you just repeated what you did in the inside road. I think it would be a little more resting place for the eye than to go with a bunch of other shapes. Since you mentioned you find your new sewing machine a little intimidating, and you love hand work, maybe you should follow in the foot steps of Jinny Beyer and make your first pieced quilt a hand pieced quilt. If you have not seen her fabulous hand pieced and hand quilted quilts
                      you are missing something. Back in the days of VHS tapes I had her hand quilting tape. She is a fabulous teacher and her color
                      theory is my way of thinking about color. She has a ton of free quilt patterns on her website and lots of tutorials.She sells a book on how to hand piece on her website. The title is Quiltmaking By Hand. HelenW
                      HelenW, thank you for making the suggestion on repeating my garden from the inner road. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders! And I will definitely check out Jinny Beyer. Love this amazing group! Carole B.
                      Carole Berry

Comment

I am so happy Next lot of tall buildings all set to go as we are lockdown in Queensland Australia thank you so much

Comment

I haven't t had a chance to start the month #6 tall buildings and now #7 is here! I'm having a problem getting the templates to print out in the 1" scale. Anyone else? This wasn't an issue with any of the previous months.

Here's my progress so far.
                          Attached Files

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2870 users online. 558 members and 2312 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X