Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 6--TALL BUILDING #1--Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 6--TALL BUILDING #1--Ask Questions Here

A day early--get your Tall Buildings #1 pattern! Be sure to watch the VIDEO as well as reading the directions.

The blog is also ready:

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/20...uilding-1.html

This is the place to ask questions about Tall Building #1.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

I am having some issues printing. It is cutting off the lower portion of the building. My square 1” is correct. I am using a laptop as I know there were issues with other devices with small houses. Suggestions?
    Linda H
    Happy Quilting 

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Try setting the printer for A4 paper. That works for some with the Small Houses earlier

• Nancy Lee. commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a pdf file of the patterns to scale for the Tall buildings. Not sure if you will have the same issue printing from these but it might be worth a try.  I am not able to upload the files to this message (I keep getting an error message) but I would be happy to email them to you if you'd like.
      ~Nancy

Hi Barbara, So continue to have issues even with A4. I went back and tried printing my small houses and they came out fine. Same settings with large houses and still is cutting off the bottom. Any other suggestions??? From. Others as well. Would have been nice to split these pages up more as it is so critical to get them accurate.
    I have it 1/16 but I know that is not good enough!
    Last edited by lholzhu; 06-01-2021, 04:32 PM.
    Linda H
    Happy Quilting 

Comment

• iris w. commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to rotate my page and then i got the entire building. i don't know if it matters but i have a really old printer.

Hello Barbara, Thank you for the blog info on measuring the sides to see if we're on the right track. I am ready to stitch the shadow on the side of the four TB #1 RS. Taking the freezer paper template as the size to cut the shadow (and my 1" scale is just right for printing), The shadow piece is too short to fit the full length/side of the 4 sections. The side measures 7" and the shadow piece measures 6.25". I believe all my seam allowances are accurate. Thoughts on how to correct this? Thank you.

Comment

• Paola B. commented
      Editing a comment
      I too had the same problem. Did measure every seam and the 1" scale. I believed that the pattern was off so I cut another piece and extended it. The completed house measurement was off by 1/8 ".

Originally posted by DebbiG View Post
    Hello Barbara, Thank you for the blog info on measuring the sides to see if we're on the right track. I am ready to stitch the shadow on the side of the four TB #1 RS. Taking the freezer paper template as the size to cut the shadow (and my 1" scale is just right for printing), The shadow piece is too short to fit the full length/side of the 4 sections. The side measures 7" and the shadow piece measures 6.25". I believe all my seam allowances are accurate. Thoughts on how to correct this? Thank you.
    I just checked my patterns and both RS and LS are correct, both the building parts and the shadow.
    The RS shadow is 6.25" finished so is cut a bit longer than 6.75"--because of the angle on the shadow.

The 4 building parts of RS measure 6.25" finished--exactly the same as the shadow.

Are you saying you sewed the 4 parts of the lower part of RS together and they are 7" long on the Shadow side? That's only slightly longer than it should be to fit the RS Shadow.

Another thought--the two Shadows are two different sizes. Be sure you have the RS Shadow to sew on the RS TB#1.

If your patterns are printed accurately with the 1" scale box, the parts should all be the correct size.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL

Comment

• Deb G. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I am only working with the RS building thus far. If I skimp a little on the top edge, not coming all the way to the top of my building, the shadow piece will nearly fit. Alternatively, I think I might just cut the future shadows a bit longer. Do you see any reason NOT to do that? I think, also, my seams to put the building pieces together may be a little scant, but the finished side does just about measure (within an 1/8") what you had mentioned earlier...Thanks.

• Sally W. commented
      Editing a comment
      My first shadow piece for the left handed houses proved to be about 1/8” short after cutting out. This might be explained by the fact that freezer paper shrinks slightly when you iron on it. Not really a problem, I just added a little on the bottom end when I cut more of those pieces out.

Originally posted by lholzhu View Post
    Hi Barbara, So continue to have issues even with A4. I went back and tried printing my small houses and they came out fine. Same settings with large houses and still is cutting off the bottom. Any other suggestions??? From. Others as well. Would have been nice to split these pages up more as it is so critical to get them accurate.
    I have it 1/16 but I know that is not good enough!
    I am sorry you are having printing problems. Most of us have not. Mine printed correctly on standard 8.5" x 11" copy paper, all parts on the pages with nothing cut off.

We get the patterns from the designer and do not change those patterns.

Some people have printing problems when printing from a phone or tablet. Some cannot print accurately from the View File copy--only the Download copy on a computer seems to work for some. Others suggest they get the most accurate printing in Adobe.

For Tall Building #1 you are the first to ask about printing problems. Perhaps if someone else has had your issue, they can make another suggestion.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL

Comment

Could you explain how you attach the long shadow. Presume I put it on the right side of the house but with the paper facing up or down on the shadow if you know what I mean

Comment

Originally posted by skipbj View Post
        Could you explain how you attach the long shadow. Presume I put it on the right side of the house but with the paper facing up or down on the shadow if you know what I mean
        Be sure you are only working on one TB at a time. The shadow is sewn on the LEFT side of TB #1 LS. It is sewn on the RIGHT SIDE OF TB#1 RS. The Shadows are two different sizes so don't mix them up.

I discuss the Shadows on the Video, at about 1:30.

And the paper is only used as a CUTTING TEMPLATE. When you are ready to sew it to the side of the TB, remove the paper--be sure the narrow end is down at the bottom of the TB.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

I have finished my first Tall Building 1 Right Side. I made sure my scale was correct both on the printed copies of the templates and the copies on to the freezer paper. Every think came together very well except the top piece that is attached to the roof. It is about 1/8th of an inch off. I'm going to try taking it apart and moving that piece over so it lines up. If it looks too off, I'll try making another one. I thought I did it correctly. Any thoughts on what I could have done wrong? Thanks
          Beth Palluzi

Comment

• moonglow2017 commented
            Editing a comment
            I did not like unmatched shadow so I did the left and right buildings the same way eliminatiing the small row on top of the roof

Originally posted by DebbiG View Post
          Thank you. I am only working with the RS building thus far. If I skimp a little on the top edge, not coming all the way to the top of my building, the shadow piece will nearly fit. Alternatively, I think I might just cut the future shadows a bit longer. Do you see any reason NOT to do that? I think, also, my seams to put the building pieces together may be a little scant, but the finished side does just about measure (within an 1/8") what you had mentioned earlier...Thanks.
          Cutting the shadow a little longer can't hurt. You will be able to even it up at the top and bottom of the TB as you complete it.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

Originally posted by bpalluzi View Post
            I have finished my first Tall Building 1 Right Side. I made sure my scale was correct both on the printed copies of the templates and the copies on to the freezer paper. Every think came together very well except the top piece that is attached to the roof. It is about 1/8th of an inch off. I'm going to try taking it apart and moving that piece over so it lines up. If it looks too off, I'll try making another one. I thought I did it correctly. Any thoughts on what I could have done wrong? Thanks
            If you are using freezer paper, it could be how you folded the line back to sew beside. If sewing through paper, it can be how close to perfectly you hit the line. Put it on a wall, stand back 6 feet, and see if you can see the slight amount that is "off". Bet you can't. I wouldn't worry about it. I had to stare at your photo a bit to understand the "issue". Make the next TB and see if you hit it perfectly. You get to decide how perfect this all has to be.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Black View Post

If you are using freezer paper, it could be how you folded the line back to sew beside. If sewing through paper, it can be how close to perfectly you hit the line. Put it on a wall, stand back 6 feet, and see if you can see the slight amount that is "off". Bet you can't. I wouldn't worry about it. I had to stare at your photo a bit to understand the "issue". Make the next TB and see if you hit it perfectly. You get to decide how perfect this all has to be.
              Thanks Barbara. I like your idea better than my idea of taking it apart. I will use a new freezer paper template for that piece and pay a lot of attention to how I fold it.
              Another question. In the cutting directions for Tall Building 1 Right side, it says to cut 1 piece j (1 1/2 inch square). I needed 2 which was not a problem since I have a tremendous amount of background scraps. I was just surprised and wondered if I missed something. Thanks again. I really enjoy working on this quilt. I was so excited to see the June pattern come out a day early.
              Beth Palluzi
              Beth Palluzi

Comment

Originally posted by bpalluzi View Post

Thanks Barbara. I like your idea better than my idea of taking it apart. I will use a new freezer paper template for that piece and pay a lot of attention to how I fold it.
                Another question. In the cutting directions for Tall Building 1 Right side, it says to cut 1 piece j (1 1/2 inch square). I needed 2 which was not a problem since I have a tremendous amount of background scraps. I was just surprised and wondered if I missed something. Thanks again. I really enjoy working on this quilt. I was so excited to see the June pattern come out a day early.
                Beth Palluzi
                It does take TWO pieces for "j", 1.5" square. That got missed in the proofreading. I figure we all have plenty of little bits of background that it won't be a problem.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

We were able to mix up the houses in the small house circle and not follow the 1,2,3,4 order. I'm guessing because of the top angle of each tall building that we won't be able to mix them up as we did in the small house circle. Correct?
                  Laceflower

Time you enjoy wasting is not a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Laceflower View Post
                    We were able to mix up the houses in the small house circle and not follow the 1,2,3,4 order. I'm guessing because of the top angle of each tall building that we won't be able to mix them up as we did in the small house circle. Correct?
                    That is correct. All Tall buildings will be arranged TB Left sides, 1,2,3,4. And TB Right sides, 1,2,3,4.
                    Barbara Black
                    Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1121 users online. 193 members and 928 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X