Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Ring of small houses—show yours here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring of small houses—show yours here

Use this Topic to show your completed ring of small houses. I am eager to see them.

BARBARA BLACK
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

I'm not sure I'm posting this to the right place on the forum. Please forgive me if it's not! I have a question about sewing the pairs of houses together. I am relatively new to patchwork and the BOM is going well so far - I think because of the freezer paper to help with accuracy. I'm nervous about sewing the houses together accurately without the foundation paper. Would it help to spray them with starch before sewing? I have not used any starch on my fabrics (or ever before for that matter) - not for cutting or piecing. Would it mess things up to starch now? I have practiced sewing an accurate 1/4" seam and used tape to mark 1/4" on my machine. Just wondering if that's enough. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Comment

• Patricia B. commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn’t starch now as you run the risk of the houses shrinking when the starch dampens the materials. They will sew together fine as they are, just use a 1/4” seam and like Barbara said in her video start from the bottom as the top will be evened up by the trees.

• leahg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Patricia!

Comment

• Anita W. commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel like an ARCHITECT.
      I broke my leg in December and could not bear weight on it for 3.5 months. So I worked on my small houses and compass during March. If was SO MUCH FUN!!!

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your background fabric.

BARBARA BLACK

• Quilting2021 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice colors and I like the background as well.

Just finished the ring and i am so glad that ist is flat. So much fun with this lovely BOM. Greetings from germany

Comment

• Lynn K. commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Primera. Could you please tell me what is the diameter of your center ring... the open space where you have placed the Mariners compass? Yours is lovely. Mine came out a little “wonky” so I am adjusting it and looking for a measurement to shoot for..

• Primera commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Lynn....the Center messures 18 inch

• RiaDE commented
      Editing a comment
      sieht wirklich super aus -prima gemacht !

Originally posted by leahg View Post
    I'm not sure I'm posting this to the right place on the forum. Please forgive me if it's not! I have a question about sewing the pairs of houses together. I am relatively new to patchwork and the BOM is going well so far - I think because of the freezer paper to help with accuracy. I'm nervous about sewing the houses together accurately without the foundation paper. Would it help to spray them with starch before sewing? I have not used any starch on my fabrics (or ever before for that matter) - not for cutting or piecing. Would it mess things up to starch now? I have practiced sewing an accurate 1/4" seam and used tape to mark 1/4" on my machine. Just wondering if that's enough. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
    Generally, use starch on fabrics before cutting out pieces. You could try it on one seam to see if it helps.it sounds like you are set for accurate 1/4” sewing already. Be sure to sew accurately all the way down the seam. I discussed this in the LIVE broadcast yesterday. That video is available under LEARN.

BARBARA BLACK

Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL

Comment

• leahg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Barbara!

Greetings from Australia. What you can get done on a windy wet Easter when avoiding the holiday crowds. I put a little variety in my trees.
    Queensland Australia

Comment

• Bonnie E. commented
      Editing a comment
      That's so great, I hope mine will be a flat circle like yours. I like the variety of greens in your treetops.

Here is my ring of houses. I have no design wall, so it looks a little bit wonky.

Comment

Great way to spend Easter, in my sewing room. I have put all my houses together. The outside sits nice and flat but the inside is a little big. Will I be able to ease it in when the road is attached?

Comment

Originally posted by mazza1625 View Post
        Great way to spend Easter, in my sewing room. I have put all my houses together. The outside sits nice and flat but the inside is a little big. Will I be able to ease it in when the road is attached?
        Probably. Check the seam allowances along the inside to see if you can find those that are a bit narrow and tighten those up.

BARBARA BLACK
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

Finished with treetops! Thank goodness it’s flat enough. Thank you, Barbara, for the great instructions! Onward.....
          Jackie

Comment

• Robin H. commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the Tula Pink Lemur Me Alone for your background. How did you stitch down your trees? By hand or machine? What thread did you use to sew the trees down? Looks stunning!

• Kathleen H. commented
            Editing a comment
            Love your compass!!!

• jptousley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your kind comments. Except for one, the treetops were hand appliqued . The trunks were done by machine. Thread was some old that I had....unfortunately, I don’t know name, number, or brand.

Here are my houses.

Comment

• jstack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for showing your ring of houses. I love the way you have graduated the colours for the background.

All the houses look wonderful. I am wondering, did you press seams open on all the seams when putting the houses together in pairs and then into the circle?
          Deborah W

Comment

• Cindy P. commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I pressed all the seams open between the houses.

Primera. Thank you so much ! I hope mine end up looking as good as yours Everyone is doing such a great job. Lots of creativity.

Comment

Here's a photo after Month 4 is completed. I'm a little concerned about having too much fabric at the bottom of the houses, but hope this problem will be rectified with the insertion of the road. Fingers crossed. Loving this project! Thanks Barbara and Wendy!!

Comment

• Cindy P. commented
              Editing a comment
              If you can pin it to a design wall or a bed top, you can mist the inner circle with water and the fabric may draw up a bit. That’s what I did to mine and it helped tremendously!

My photo of the ring. It was not flat but I tightened up some of the seams and now it is flat enough. However my inner ring diameter is 17" not 18" as someone else measured. I do wish we had more measurements to compare with a finished quilt top to doublecheck our progress.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

• Cindy P. commented
              Editing a comment
              I saw where Barbara said it should be 17-1/2” raw edge to raw eagle. It will be 18”” after we sew the the street and compass in.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1242 users online. 245 members and 997 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25246   Active Members: 1,500  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X