Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

OFFICIAL—Month 4. The trees

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OFFICIAL—Month 4. The trees

The trees pattern is up today. Be sure to watch the Supplement video, then the longer video before beginning. My blog will post tomorrow, April 1, with words and photos.

Tomorrow is also the LIVE for the month, noon Central time.

BARBARA BLACK
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

My wool felt trees thus far. Four more to go at NSEW positions. Went with seasons theme in each quarter.
    Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

• brigitte.wieser commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, Wow, Wow !!! That's the only I can say, love your quilt so much, I'm looking forward to see how you create the further buildings.

• Bonnie E. commented
      Editing a comment
      Your handwork is amazing. You will definitely have the most unique interpretation of the original. Those trees are so fun as they represent the season.

• Mary L. commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! I love everything that you have done, so creative!

For the tree tops, I just made a pattern that includes the extra 1/4" at the bottom. I cut 4 layers of fabric at a time. Much faster and didn't have to use freezer paper.

Comment

Why do we need to have a double template for the trees?

Comment

• Pegi C. commented
        Editing a comment
        I think she was saving paper by printing them on one page two at a time. [Unless you are referring to the double freezer paper, that's for a stronger template.]

I'm thinking of using fusible web for the trees and will have a raw edge. I want to do a scribble stitch along that raw edge. Will I add the 1/4" to the basic pattern?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Why not use only a narrow strip of fusible along the lower edge of the tree top, not the entire tree top? That will allow the top edge to remain soft and easy to attach to the Outer road.

BARBARA BLACK

• Lisa E. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a great idea Karen. I was also planning on trying scribble stitch. It looks like fun and will add movement to the trees. I'm still debating on using black or green thread. Thoughts?

• Karen commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Barbara for the suggestion.

Where do we go to get the patterns? I have not been able to find the BOM patterns since the website changed.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Rosemary, At the top of the page Click on LEARN, on the left side of screen Click on BLOCK OF THE MONTH, Color My World comes up, scroll down to bottom and click on VIEW, then scroll down
        past Barbara Blacks picture and the rest of the months including Introduction will be there. Click on each one, and when you see DOCUMENTS that is the pattern, you can download it or view it. HelenW

Originally posted by jester9 View Post
      Why do we need to have a double template for the trees?
      Jester9, Applique with freezer paper normally uses double layers to give a crisp edge. Besides using your fingers to fold
      over the edge. Lots of appliqué quilters put starch on the seam allowance with a small paint brush and then use the iron
      to fold the edge over the freezer paper for a crisp edge to sew on. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by ziprose View Post
        Where do we go to get the patterns? I have not been able to find the BOM patterns since the website changed.
        Be sure you are logged in, go to LEARN, BOM, 2021 BOM, and under each month there is a tab for VIDEOS and a tab for DOCUMENTS. All patterns are under DOCUMENTS

BARBARA BLACK
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

Originally posted by Box2wood View Post
          I'm thinking of using fusible web for the trees and will have a raw edge. I want to do a scribble stitch along that raw edge. Will I add the 1/4" to the basic pattern?
          If you want a raw edge on the bottom of the tree top, you won't add the 1/4" seam allowance along the bottom.

BARBARA BLACK
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

Originally posted by HelenW View Post
            Are the large basting threads in the linen so you can get placement of your pieces?
            Thanks Helen for the kind words. The basting is to help keep the fusible pellon on the back of the linen wholecloth in place. When I first started attaching the compass, I found I was constantly battling with it. Basting has made that less of an issue. I’ve also switched to stitching sitting at a table, as there’s too much volume sitting in my wing chair. ~Carole B.
            Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

Carole B. Here is my early attempt at a little hand embroidery. When I get done with the hummingbird, I will cut 1/4 inch away from
              the bird and use it as an applique on another background. My stylist of hand stitching leave a lot to be desire right now, but it is is fun. HelenW

Comment

• Carole B. commented
                Editing a comment
                Helen, don’t sell yourself short. Wonderful job!

• alma c. commented
                Editing a comment
                outstanding you win an oscar in my book!

Enjoying this project so much. I’m learning so much. Thank you Barbara and Wendy for the wonderful instruction!

Comment

Editing a comment
                I like the colors of your quilt, they are looking great !

• Bonnie E. commented
                Editing a comment
                This is great, love the colors and your trees are so great.

• iris w. commented
                Editing a comment
                so pretty! i was thinking about shaping the bottom of the trees as well, great idea!

This is my finished circle.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent, you should be proud!

BARBARA BLACK

Editing a comment
                So nice !!

• iris w. commented
                Editing a comment
                pretty pretty pretty!

Originally posted by Happy-Grits View Post
              Is your project felt or wool? beautiful seasons idea.
              Thanks! I’m using 100% marino wool felt on linen. From what I understand, Wendy Williams uses this often.
              Carole B. aka nhbaskets

Comment

Do we press the house seams open, or just when the two houses are joined together? Thank you!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I only pressed the joining seams open, not the small seams when adding sections of house together. Do whichever you prefer.

BARBARA BLACK

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1033 users online. 142 members and 891 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X