Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Size for two small houses sewn together

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size for two small houses sewn together

I have been asked repeatedly for size measurements of two small houses sewn together. This is hard to do and explain in a way everyone will understand so this is how I choose to explain it:

Place two houses sewn together on an ACCURATE cutting mat--not all mats are accurate. This is Quilters Select. Place the center seam on any inch mark.

The bottom edge, from outside to outside, should be about 4". Do not take the curve into consideration.

The top edge, from outside to outside, should be about 8", without any thought to the curve.

I say "about" because I can't give you a mathematical answer like a 4" finished square should be exactly 4.5" before being sewn into the quilt.

Seam allowances and pressing the seam OPEN and flat will be the important issue here.

I did ask Wendy to provide a finished size template for use in comparing the sewn houses but that was not to be.

You could cut out the paper templates, tape them together exactly on the sewing line to see what that looks like. I haven't done that. And if you don't tape them perfectly--well, that won't be right.

These photos are of small houses 1 and 2, I don't have any extra 3 and 4 houses made and am out of town teaching for a week so can't make them. But they should be "about" the same as 1 and 2.

All I know for sure is: my 1" scale line was accurate and all the circles were round and all the rings fit together as they should.

BARBARA BLACK
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Barbara, That is a great explanation. I did tape paper together to see if I would get a circle, and much to my dismay I did not.
    I blame my printer. Never did get the perfect 1 inch. There will be challenges for put the circles rings together for many of us,
    but they just need to be open to creative ways to fix any problems. I am just amazed at the number of people jumping on board
    to make this fabulous pattern. It is all so much fun!!! HelenW

Comment

When joining two house tohgether, do we put them in numerical order, 1,2,3,4 or does it make any difference?

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Hdroke, Barbara said a while back, that Wendy has you go 1,2,3,4 because the doors and windows are different. Barbara said she did her layout more by which colors she wanted next to each other. So it is up to you. HelenW

Trying to move this up toward the top. It shows the size for two small houses sewn together. Sew the tree top to each pair of the small houses. The top of the tree top is even with the top of the Small House backgrounds. The seam allowance is included in the tree top--it says that in the pattern instructions. The lower edge of the tree top template does not include the seam allowance--you need to add it before cutting out the tree top.

See both Videos and the Month 4 Blog for more information.

BARBARA BLACK
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL

Comment

Could I ask for one additional measurement? What is the length of the seam between the houses? I am struggling a bit with my trees and I think this measurement will help. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbmom1989 View Post
          Could I ask for one additional measurement? What is the length of the seam between the houses? I am struggling a bit with my trees and I think this measurement will help. Thank you!
          It is about 11”

Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2269 users online. 251 members and 2018 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,300  
          Welcome to our newest member, Vicki Robles-csadrbls80.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X