Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Bad, bad freezer paper

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad, bad freezer paper

?? About freezer paper cutting
    Watched the video, lost count how many times, can’t really see lines on freezer paper, barb, your hands move too fast for me,lol.

Small hse #2 Dotted lines are seam allowance lines, those are the lines on the inner side ? Correct ?
    When we trim away excess fabric, the inner line is left barely showing? Correct ?
    My small hs #2 , bottom piece, with the door, measures 3” and 1/8 Approx. as curve is at bottom, tall
    Is that correct?

My outer lines are completely cut off, is that correct?
    I folded back paper, used the 1/4 ruler with lip,cut excess off.
    This is very small, not sure if I should of cut or all of the paper past inner seam line.
    Agh. Just can’t see videos clear enough as paper is laying down on table.
    Tried paper piecing one time bef, kicked my butt. Am using 10d foot, helps greatly.
    Need answers to above, if I am doing this correctly, bef I mess up a 2nd block.
    Thank You

callmetam, I don't understand your questions. Here is a photo of Small House 2 as printed and after being used.

Fold back on the seam line, use the Add-A-Quarter ruler to trim 1/4" from the seam line, sew, flip, trim, etc. When the pattern is all sewn, use a ruler to trim exactly 1/4" away from the dashed lines on the outer edges--that is the seam line. The pattern is now ready to use again--the one shown here has been used many times.

You said your bottom half measures 3 1/8" tall---that is too small if you are measuring from top to bottom. at the center. It is about 3 3/8" tall, in the center, before it is sewn to the top half.
    This photo shows how to use the ruler to trim 1/4" away from the seam line that is next to be sewn:

Lastly, and most importantly, have you watched the Show, #2801? It is the primary place to learn how to make Small Houses--the videos are only supplements to the main event--this Show:
    https://thequiltshow.com/component/allvideoshare/video/show-2801-barbara-black-lilo-bowman-tqs-bom-2021-quot-color-my-world-quot

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

ok I tried the freezer paper method, whil I like it ,it shifts when I am sewing uhhhh I will just paper piece as I can not make it stop....I think the wax catches and send everythig asque

Comment

Thank you very much Barbara, saved me from a melt down, I cut off too much paper and fabric, had ruler on dotted line , I will make Houses like crazy now !!
        Congrats on quilts that will be shown at IQF. Mariners quilt, esp. beautiful
        Callmetam

Comment

Try hotter iron, or one of those clover irons or similar ones.
          Using those tiny clips work well too.
          Good luck

Comment

I use a piece of baking parchment on top of, or under, the freezer paper (make sure the parchment is next to the wax side of the freezer paper), then you can press the whole piece without it sticking and can use a very hot iron. I tried using my clover mini iron but it didn't get hot enough to stick the fabric on easily.

Comment

I found the freezer paper that I ordered from the Quilt Show has very little wax. It does not hold at all. I end up using glue more than freezer paper. I am still struggling put determined that I am going to get this. Try again today.

Comment

What I discovered is that with my regular iron, the fabric did not stick very well and the pieces fell off. When I switched to a small iron (like clover) it stuck and I was able to iron a specific area of the pattern to the Fabric. Not having a small iron and using a dab of glue sounds like a good solution.

Marti

Comment

I like my heavy Black and Decker Classic iron for most tasks but am finding the little Steamfast Iron really nice for this project. The small size makes it easy to avoid putting the iron on the paper.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Steamfast-SF-727-Travel-Mini-Steam-Iron/186719139?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid =22222222222117538430&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl 1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74904294621602&wl4=pla-4578503863597720:aud-807615483&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&+wl10=Walmart&wl12=186719 139_0&wl14=steamfast%20iron&veh=sem&msclkid=74ad74 3536ab1c6deae91430a5682868

I do not put water in it. It is also great for using starch to make circles, with Appli-Pops or Karen Buckley’s Perfect Circles. The starch wipes right off the bottom with warm water on a washcloth.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Originally posted by "bbquiltmaker" post=153808
                    I like my heavy Black and Decker Classic iron for most tasks but am finding the little Steamfast Iron really nice for this project. The small size makes it easy to avoid putting the iron on the paper.
                    I have this little iron and second the recommendation! I do use it both dry and with steam. Works perfectly with my wool felt.
                    Carole Berry

Comment

Originally posted by "bbquiltmaker" post=153808

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Steamfast-SF-727-Travel-Mini-Steam-Iron/186719139?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid =22222222222117538430&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl 1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74904294621602&wl4=pla-4578503863597720:aud-807615483&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&+wl10=Walmart&wl12=186719 139_0&wl14=steamfast%20iron&veh=sem&msclkid=74ad74 3536ab1c6deae91430a5682868

I do not put water in it. It is also great for using starch to make circles, with Appli-Pops or Karen Buckley’s Perfect Circles. The starch wipes right off the bottom with warm water on a washcloth.
                      I just bought this little iron to use on this project.. What should I set the temperature too? Thanks

Comment

Start with medium heat, increase a little if you need more to adhere the fabric to the freezer paper.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Just discovered that if I put freezer paper shiny side to shiny side and run it through my printer using the cardstock tray (I pop the regular paper drawer open so it doesn't use that paper)--i can print using my laser printer. I print one side and then flipped it to do the other side. The two pieces separated nicely and the freezer paper is good to go. I tried running it through as a single and the first sheet was fine--the second sheet got stuck because the heat roller was hotter. I'm using Kim Diel's freezer sheets.

Update: there is a small amount of transfer of the toner to the iron and then, of course, anything that the iron presses. It does come off; but it should be tested with your fabric to make sure it works for you.

Comment

I have been using freezer paper for 2 years now, it’s my favorite method. I also use the Steamfast iron. I set the temperature one click below the setting for cotton, and I find it adheres the fabric to the paper best at that temperature. I don’t ever use steam with freezer paper. And I buy the precut sheets C. Jenkins brand.

I also put a piece of parchment on my wool mat so that I can press with the shiny side down if needed, and also use a smaller piece of parchment as a pressing cloth so I can press with the shiny side up,

I use a wooden clapper to help flatten bulky seams.

I think in the last 2 years, I’ve used more freezer paper, parchment and Glad Press n Seal in my quilting than I ever have in my kitchen!
                            Beth Bell Lavoie

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2359 users online. 185 members and 2174 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X