Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Mariners Compass

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by "CJaneAgar" post=154213
    I understand the finished block should be 14.5 inches, mine has finished closer to 15". I checked my templates and appear to be printed correctly using the 1" scale block, my seems are 1/4" but maybe to scant, so should I start again or will I be able to use this one? I am worried this will mess up the next step, and if I make another from start will I end up short of fabric?
    If your wedges were the correct size, and F measures 7" finished, the problem is most likely your seam allowances when sewing the wedges to each other. I would take the wedges apart and try again, checking after each seam that everything is the correct size, i.e., quarters are 7.5", the halves are 14.5". You want to find mistakes at the first place they happen, not when the compass is done and not the right size.

You have nothing to lose in taking this one apart. And if you start over with all new fabric you should be all right with the background fabric--just save all the pieces you remove and all leftover pieces--there are lots of small pieces of background in the Tall Buildings and Little Houses to come. The solids will not run out and even if they did, you can easily add a different solid.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Barbara, I went back to measure my mariner's compass ; it was 14 5/8" in diameter. Can an 1/8 of an inch make that much difference in the way the points turned out? There must be something else that I am doing wrong but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Here is my mariner's compass. I am worried that some points will be lost when I sew it onto the next section using a 1/4" seam. Some points are ok ; others are not

Comment

Happycamperx, Some foundation paper shrinks when it is pressed with a hot iron. If that's the case increase the document slightly when printing. If you didn't prewash your fabric it could also shrink. If you plan to remake the block leave extra background fabric at the outside edge and don't trim this edge until after the units are sewn together. Then use a circle marker to mark a circle with a 7 1/4" radius. Some of your points may be floating but that's better than having them chopped off.

Comment

Originally posted by "PaolaRB" post=154217
          Barbara, I went back to measure my mariner's compass ; it was 14 5/8" in diameter. Can an 1/8 of an inch make that much difference in the way the points turned out? There must be something else that I am doing wrong but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Here is my mariner's compass. I am worried that some points will be lost when I sew it onto the next section using a 1/4" seam. Some points are ok ; others are not
          PaolaRB You are going to have problems, points will be cut off when you add the road. The 1/4 inch will cut off some of your points. Sorry to tell you that, but
          you might need to do some ripping. HelenW

Comment

i have not started the compass yet. You mentioned the bias edges and to be careful, would you recommend maybe stay stitching them to make sure they do not stretch? Looking forward to sewing this.
            Elizabeth Anderson
            Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

Originally posted by "LizAnderson" post=154224
              i have not started the compass yet. You mentioned the bias edges and to be careful, would you recommend maybe stay stitching them to make sure they do not stretch? Looking forward to sewing this.
              No, just don't handle it much. We will use it next in month 5 when we make the Inner and Outer Roads.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Yes, HelenW I mention the point problem in my question. What I don’t know is why the points turned out this way so that when I make a second mariner’s compass I won’t end up with the same results.

Comment

PaolaRB, see my answer below to CJaneAgar. If your wedge patterns were the correct size and were trimmed correctly, the problem is the seam allowances when you joined them together.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Originally posted by "PaolaRB" post=154227
                    Yes, HelenW I mention the point problem in my question. What I don’t know is why the points turned out this way so that when I make a second mariner’s compass I won’t end up with the same results.
                    PaolaRB, I will try to find out the answer why, by doing a sample with some seams I make too narrow and others too wide, when joining sections. Barbara, rightly pointed out that
                    the problem is in the seams that connect the units. Give me a day, and I will try to get you the answer.
                    I put the pictures on the show and tell mariners compass. The seams are too narrow. Go look and see. Hope this helps. HelenW

Comment

I appreciate all your info and tips. I reprinted the papers. I did notice they printed much better directly from the computer rather then making copies from the first. I used a laser jet printer. I sewed my mariners compass over this weekend. All is good and it measures the right size. Attached.

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place to post this tip, or not, but I store my BOM projects in large clean pizza boxes. The Mariners compass will be stored in a large pizza box, and it will be safe there until time to sew it in the quilt top. I keep my houses in another large pizza box. The boxes are easy to label and stack.

Comment

Originally posted by "Martije" post=154517
                          Not sure if this is the right place to post this tip, or not, but I store my BOM projects in large clean pizza boxes. The Mariners compass will be stored in a large pizza box, and it will be safe there until time to sew it in the quilt top. I keep my houses in another large pizza box. The boxes are easy to label and stack.
                          I made 8 quick design boards out of 4 clean 16" pizza boxes, tops & bottoms, by gluing offwhite flannel to them. Easy to stack up. Not the prettiest, but still useful & very cheap.

Comment

My first Mariners Compass! Using the blue background fabric to represent the river that is a stones throw from my house.

Comment

Don't worry! Make the road a little bit smaller and it will do well. Your compass looks perfect. May be, the template is not as perfect as it shout. one side is nearly 1/16 longer than 7".

Comment

Don't worry! Make the road a little bit smalle and it will do well. Your compass looks perfect! Indeed the pattern is not. One side is nearly 1/16 longer than 7". May be, that makes your problem.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2361 users online. 184 members and 2177 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X