Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Please share your different background fabrics

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the fabric that I have been using for my background.
    It reminded me of van Gogh sky. The swirls are blue/grey and I think I will use those colours in the Mariners Compass.
    I wanted something to look like sky and this fitted the bill.
    I have 2 houses to finish today and then wait anxiously for the February Block.

Comment

This fabric is part of Marcia Derse's Field Guide to Art History 101, but not the one used in the kit. I like the fabric in the kit better because it has more negative space. Fabric. com had the version I got, but sold out. They stated on website they should be getting more in. My fear is it may end up "overpowering" the houses, so I shall see as I do more houses.

Comment

I'm way behind as I'm still toying with fabric choices. I think I'm probably going to go with this Libs Elliott print from her Stealth collection. Now I need to decide whether to opt for Oakshott cottons for the houses or the easier option of some solids. It's terrible being paralysed by indecision lol :unsure:

Comment

I’m using an ombré fabric. Selecting the lightest for the small house and will use the darker fabric for the buildings and border.

Comment

Originally posted by "Kekaha" post=153954
            I’m using an ombré fabric. Selecting the lightest for the small house and will use the darker fabric for the buildings and border.
            Kekaha. I was waiting for someone to use an ombré fabric. It should be stunning. If I had not gone with flannel, I would have done that too.
            Be sure to think ahead to your borders. You might want to cut them out of the dark, so you don't use it all up and you would have a patchy looking border.
            HelenW

Comment

Helen W, I wish I knew how wide the border strips are so that I can cut those and have long unpieced strips. I'm using ombre and will use the darkest for the border. I'm going to go ahead and cut the border strips at 6 inches. I will have some space to do a nice quilting design on the border.

Comment

Use the Search box above to find lots of info—this has been asked and answered a couple times:

https://thequiltshow.com/forum/bom-2021-color-my-world/9429-background-fabric?start=14#153520

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                North Alabama, USA
                "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I am using sky fabric for the background. I tried to do it in one piece , using a Y seam but I think the roof angle is too acute. Using two pieces in the background disrupts the clouds. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by "sheilmrk" post=153994

I am using sky fabric for the background. I tried to do it in one piece , using a Y seam but I think the roof angle is too acute. Using two pieces in the background disrupts the clouds. Any tips?
                    The roof angle is 60° for small houses 1 & 2. I am using a cloud print but a much smaller and less realistic background than yours. But in order to have the clouds going east and west rather than north and south, I had to create another pattern closer to what a garment maker would do when matching plaids, stripes, or one way prints. And remember that small houses 3 & 4 will be going in between the houses for January. It would take a lot of planning and fabric to achieve something close to perfect clouds traveling in a circle and perfectly matching. Personally I settled for having my clouds traveling in the same direction and the same way up. For small house 1 the fabric was cut face up and for small house 2 the fabric was cut face down, one set at a time.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

Originally posted by "Kekaha" post=153988
                      Helen W, I wish I knew how wide the border strips are so that I can cut those and have long unpieced strips. I'm using ombre and will use the darkest for the border. I'm going to go ahead and cut the border strips at 6 inches. I will have some space to do a nice quilting design on the border.
                      Kekaha. Back in early January Barbara quoted the pattern saying Wendy has you cut 7 strips the width of the fabric by 5 1/2 inches wide. If you stay with 6" that will give you a little wiggle room to square up the final quilt after adding the borders. HelenW

Comment

Victoria Findley Wolfe “Glee.” It’s not as colorful as I thought, so might need to add some more birds!

Comment

]
                          Using a flowery background fabric which I thought was off white with flowers when I ordered but is quite pale creamy pink. Bought same pattern but larger to use for border but it’s not much nearer white background so will not be using that.

Comment

New to this ..but here’s the progress so far.

Comment

My fabric is Nighttime in Bluebell Wood by Lewis and Irene, the deer and moon are glow in the dark.

Comment

Barbara: What is the brand and name of batik fabric you were using to make mariners compass block? Love it
                                Thanks for sharing
                                Susan
                                Susan Skeel
                                Des Moines Iowa

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2352 users online. 184 members and 2168 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X