Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Local modifications

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local modifications

I read a few posts that said people were planning to substitute trees for some houses because they live in more rural areas. And I think someone is planning to do houses in a 4 seasons theme. I am in Colorado (that's why I'm Missing Oxygen, lol) and would like some ideas for incorporating mountains into the background or maybe some Colorado-ish things for the corner buildings like the Eiffel Tower. So I thought I would start a topic where we can post ideas and pictures of the local modifications people are making to reflect where they live as they make this quilt their own.

Note to admin: if there's a better, more descriptive title for this topic, please adjust.

I remember Barbara saying in one of her videos that she would go over ways that we could personalize it. I would want to have some of the buildings of Chicago, as opposed to the Big Ben, and the other building that are in original quilt.

Comment

I thought about doing something with the four houses on the second circle N S E W instead of the corners. Thoughts are local buildings/geological features or making the houses look like our house and the kids houses or something from where they live. Not sure yet. Just thinking.

Looking forward to seeing what others come up with as we move forward.

Marti

Comment

I also am thinking i about changing at least one of the corner buildings. The title of the quilt is Color my World. My personal day to day life may be small but my whole world includes the whole planet. Using skyscrapers or symbols from all corners of the earth is what attracted me to the quilt. Our small quiet lives are part of something much bigger. Thank you Wendy Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by "MissingOxygen" post=152651
          I read a few posts that said people were planning to substitute trees for some houses because they live in more rural areas. And I think someone is planning to do houses in a 4 seasons theme. I am in Colorado (that's why I'm Missing Oxygen, lol) and would like some ideas for incorporating mountains into the background or maybe some Colorado-ish things for the corner buildings like the Eiffel Tower. So I thought I would start a topic where we can post ideas and pictures of the local modifications people are making to reflect where they live as they make this quilt their own.

Note to admin: if there's a better, more descriptive title for this topic, please adjust.
          Missing Oxygen
          I am not admin. but how about CMW (color my world) Personalized Structures or Blocks. I like the idea. Mountains should be fairly easy if you draw lines on your house pattern piece before
          you freezer paper piece it. You could fussy cut mountain fabric if you want it to look realistic. Just a few ideas. Should be fun. HelenW

Comment

I am not admin. but how about CMW (color my world) Personalized Structures or Blocks. I like the idea. Mountains should be fairly easy if you draw lines on your house pattern piece before
            you freezer paper piece it. You could fussy cut mountain fabric if you want it to look realistic. Just a few ideas. Should be fun. HelenW
            Thank you HelenW! I like that title. I don't know how to edit the topic title, so hopefully an admin will make that change to be more clear. Also, thanks for the suggestion about the mountain fabric. I am wondering if it might work better to applique the finished houses onto mountain fabric instead of trying to make it look right during the paper piecing stage?Maybe instead of the corner iconic buildings I'll use different versions of evergreen trees or a giant elk, lol, since Colorado is more known for trees and mountains and animals than for uniquely recognizable buildings.

Comment

MissingOxygen,
              I just googled paper pieced mountains and there are ideas out there that would work. You would probably need to use the wedge shape as a template to draw the mountains.
              Here is a screenshot of one I found that might adapt easily. HelenW

Comment

Thanks HelenW. I will look at those.

Comment

I didn't find a tree fabric to fussy cut so decided to just draw the trees and piece them. I will be using the school house, church, barn, and country house on the corners of the center section with the trees next to them. The school house and church have more pieces than I wanted so may simplify them. I'm looking forward to seeing what changes others make. I'm going to make a coloring sheet with my changes before starting so won't have any blocks made for awhile.

Comment

I am in Toronto, ON, Canada and would also like to customize some of the corner buildings to local ones. How do I adapt a picture? I would also like to substitute a 6 pointed star for the mariner's compass. How might I do that? Marcia

Comment

Bubbe, in the Fall I will give dimensions for the skyscraper corners. You will then draw any building you want to substitute.

Next month the Mariners Compass is released and you will know what size the circle is so you can find a different design for that space.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                      North Alabama, USA
                      "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by "bubbee" post=152863
                        I am in Toronto, ON, Canada and would also like to customize some of the corner buildings to local ones. How do I adapt a picture? I would also like to substitute a 6 pointed star for the mariner's compass. How might I do that? Marcia
                        Marcia, For the 6 pointed star you need to wait until Feb. when we find out the size of the block. Are you planning on doing your world as paper pieced or applique. The Mariner's
                        Compass is a circular block, so you will need to change the square to a circle. I will start thinking about how that could be done. For your Corner Local Buildings, you will
                        need pictures of the buildings. It will be summer before we get to that part. The weather will be better by that time. Take photos or get permission to use photos from Chamber of Commerce or where you can find photo you like. Then it will involve putting in on a light box or window and tracing the main structural lines so it is recognizable. Should be fun!!!
                        HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by "ajclapp" post=152842
                          I didn't find a tree fabric to fussy cut so decided to just draw the trees and piece them. I will be using the school house, church, barn, and country house on the corners of the center section with the trees next to them. The school house and church have more pieces than I wanted so may simplify them. I'm looking forward to seeing what changes others make. I'm going to make a coloring sheet with my changes before starting so won't have any blocks made for awhile.

Annis (ajclapp), Love your ideas. It will help everyone visualize how to go about modifications to the patterns. Did you draw you diagrams in EQ8? I have not gotten into the Polydraw
                          part of the program much and will need to "book up" if I plan to use it for my changes. Are you planning on staying with 32 wedges in small house circle, or are you combing
                          a couple wedge dimensions together? Like you, there is a lot going on in my head, and my actual construction is a way down the line. What size quilt are you doing?
                          You are a very talented and gifted quilter. Love all you stuff I have seen in the past. HelenW

Comment

would like to try paper piecing but am amenable to appliqué. I have never done a block of the month before.

Comment

Originally posted by "bubbee" post=152875
                              would like to try paper piecing but am amenable to appliqué. I have never done a block of the month before.
                              bubee, Sometimes it takes the best of both to get the look you want. Most people start by following the patterns rather than diving into the deep end of the swimming pool.
                              You have to been ready for making a lot of mistakes along the way. What seems easy as a vision in your head is often a lot harder to make happen and have it all come together.
                              Sounds like you are new to paper piecing? Have you done raw edge applique? HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2306 users online. 159 members and 2147 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X