Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

New Group created for 2015 BOM

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terri,
    Karen Kay Buckley talked about this in one of her classes. She suggested using a light weight iron on fusible interfacing on the applique shape (not the in seam allowance). Karen mentioned this because a judge commented that one of her quilts had some shadowing. (That must of been years ago...because look at her now!) I tried her idea in a quilt I just finished. I used a white shirting fabric that had many tiny, little black lines and the tiny, little black lines showed through some light colored fabrics, such as yellow. So, here is another suggestion for you think about.

Comment

I'm a newbie to the block of the month. I did purchase the kit from the shop cause I fell in love with the colors used and figured I'm a great "copy artist" but quite lacking in my own imagination. Anyway my question is this: The kit comes with various yardage cuts of the different materials. (31 different fabrics altogether). Can anyone tell me how accurately I need to be when cutting? In other words will I have plenty of fabric if I don't pick the correct section to cut my squares from or the right direction? I'm scared since I can't look forward that I will come up short. Any experience with words of wisdom????

Thanks.....Sharon

Comment

Hi Sharon, in the instructions it says to save all scraps so I'd err on the side of caution. It also gives yardage, perhaps check that so you know the kit is right before you start. the last border is random strips so I guess that'll save you if you make a mistake

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I haven't started yet but have bought a little fabric and will use scraps. I cannot find anywhere in the instructions how to do the little fringe under the roof. Any one able to help me.

Comment

Hi Sharon and welcome to the forum. Can I suggest that you print out the yardage requirements before you cut into anything, cut a tiny 1/2" square off each fabric and match it and then glue it to the same fabric on the requirements list and then you will be able to double check it before you cut. Also, each fabric should be the same measurement as the requirement list so that would be another double check. Then, and I say this from experience, 'measure twice and cut once' - I can't tell you the number of times I have cut the wrong size piece and left myself short because of it. Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing your progress, post photos along the way, we all love to see them. :cheer:

Comment

Originally posted by "Rmb57" post=125904
              I haven't started yet but have bought a little fabric and will use scraps. I cannot find anywhere in the instructions how to do the little fringe under the roof. Any one able to help me.
              Hi Rmb57 and welcome to the forum. I noticed this too. There is also no measurements for the windows and doors except to measure from the printout. For the doors and windows therefore, you will need to add an extra 1/4" on all four sides if you are doing needle-turn applique. As for the scalloped facia underneath the roof, here's what I did - I cut a 1" strip the length of the roof and attached it between the roof and the main body of the house. Then I traced out the actual shape from the printout onto freezer paper and ironed it onto the facia. I then used a chalk pen, or whatever marking tool you like, to trace the actual scallop curves onto the fabric. After that I cut out the shape leaving 1/8" seam allowance. You can then take off the freezer paper. Before attaching the background fabrics to either side of the house it would be best to at least stitch the corners of the facia into position.
              For raw-edge appliqué - I would iron the freezer template onto the 1" strip for the facia before adding fusible, stitch the 1" strip between the roof and walls of the house, mark the scallops on the template line, remove the freezer paper and then cut out the scallops on the marked line. After all that is done, then you can fuse it down. I hope that helps. :cheer:

Comment

Welcome Rmb57! I did as Rita and used freezer paper, but I pressed it onto the fabric, cut along the scalloped edge about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and then pinned the roof trim to the main house block with those tiny applique pins. I did needle-turn applique and then the freezer paper just slipped out.

Enjoy!

Comment

I'm not sure which discussion group I should say this in about the 2015 BOM. I've decided to use 4 patch blocks instead of 9 patch. I made one 9 patch and thought it was way too tedious for me.

Comment

Sherry, was that the mini version? I did the mini version and feel that if I ever do another I will do 4-patches instead because I agree with you.

Comment

No, I wasn't doing the half size version. Those 9 patches are still really small even in the regular version. I have so many projects going right now that I just didn't want to sit there and fuss with something I wasn't enjoying. The 4 patches are going really fast and I have them almost all made. I still need to sew all my applique pieces in place. That should go pretty fast since I used fusible for the first portion.

Comment

Running into a bit of a rip-out session to get my windows straight. Any one else need a little virtual chocolate?

Comment

Yes and I haven't even cut a fabric yet :lol:

Comment

Ask a silly question....

Comment

I quickly decided that I would use fusible applique for this project. The deciding factor was the trim under the roof! I'm using Misty Fuse as it is very light weight and soft. I've used some clear thread to zig zag around the raw edges. For the stars and bird I've done some hand embroidery with blanket stitch. Right now I am embroidering the window panes. I'm almost finished with the center panel and will need to cut out the patches for the border. Wow, this is a lot of work for month one! I don't think I would ever finish this if I was doing needleturn applique. A deep curtsey to all who can!

Comment

Chickadee I agree with you. I've just started it and have given up at first hurdle and used bric a brac under the roof. For this first block I'm probably going to use fusible for the bird but intend to use needle turn in the hearts and trees to learn the technique. I've not tried mistyfuse but have some so I will be learning something new.

Can we see what you've done so far

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1469 users online. 264 members and 1205 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,209   Posts: 154,987   Members: 25381   Active Members: 1,502  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X