Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

When cutting fabric for binding

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When cutting fabric for binding

When cutting fabric for binding so I cut on Lof or Wof?

Length of the fabric is less likely to stretch, however I cut mine width of the fabric because I like to keep any leftover fabric the full width by whatever I have left over. I don't have any issues with using the width of fabric for binding.

Hope that makes sense!

geneva
    Geneva

Comment

I agree with Geneva. However if its a curvy edge I'll make bias binding.

Barb
      Geneva

Comment

I always try to use the length of fabric, because it does not stetch and distort an otherwise square quilt. But, if I am short on fabric, I will cut mine across the width. But, I am very careful not to let the binding stretch as I sew. Also, using a walking foot with WOF helps. I am also careful to measure the length of the quilt, and the width of the quilt, (through the centers of the quilt) and make sure the binding measures that same amount, keeping the quilt square.

Dawn

Comment

Rather than relying on the binding to keep a quilt square, I use a little trick I learned from David Taylor. Before putting on the binding, I sew twill tape to the edges of the quilt. The twill tape is carefully measures so that the sides of the quilt are square and it doesn't stretch at all. Then the binding can be applied over it and it isn't seen at all. I use a longer stitch length when stitching on the twill tape so the quilt edge can be eased where necessary.

Comment

Neat tip Nancy!!

Comment

So Nancy, do you sew the twill tape to the back side of the quilt, since there are more layers of binding fabric on the front side? I'll have to try this. It seems ingenious, but I worry about adding more bulk. Did you sew twill tape into Tea for Two? If so, I need to bring a glove to Winner's Circle, and feel your binding (with your permission) after the award presentations, as you proudly stand there smiling and answering everyone's questions!

Dawn

Comment

I did this for my Chinese Whispers quilt that was wonky,probably on Nancy's advice. It works well. Thanks for the reminder :cheer:

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I also use David Taylor's twill tape method. When I am at JoAnn's I grab a couple cards of 1/4" tape to have on hand. You really don't notice the extra bulk because the tape isn't thick, at least I haven't noticed it, nor the judges. I also use a wide zigzag instead of long straight stitch; that just works for me better. I have only used it on big quilts.

Sharon in CO

Comment

BTW I sew my twill tape on the front.

Comment

I've sewn my twill tape on the front, too. I did use it on my Tea for Two quilt, so you are welcome to feel it in Houston. I've had trouble keeping it in place on the bottom when sewing the long line of tape, so I sew a couple of inches on the bottom first to hold it in place, then turn the quilt around and sew the rest of the tape from the top. I bought a huge roll of the twill tape for cheap from wawak.com, my favorite online sewing supply place. That's also where I get things like Thread Heaven and blue water-soluable marking pens.

Comment

Forgot to say that I'm definitely going to try the zigzag. I think that'll work even better. Thanks for the idea, Sharon!

Comment

Thanks again Nancy and Sharon I'm adding twill tape to my edges (zigzagged) before binding!
                          Barb

Comment

Thanks for the twill tape method. I had never done this, but today I attached it to the top edge of my Canberra Tree quilt. I cut A piece for each side that was 1/2 " less than the measurement that side was supposed to be. That way I'd keep it 1/4 " from each end so I wouldn't have anything extra in the corner miter area. I then sewed my binding to the back, my preferred method. After setting the stitches, and turning the binding to the front, I was able to stitch my binding down with my 'heart beat' stitch. I feel it hangs better than I've experienced in the past. And this piece has a lot of varying amounts of stitching, so if it would be wonky it wouldn't have surprised me in the least.

It is hanging from three little mini clips on the curtain rod!
                            I will probably use this idea often. And I didn't even notice any extra thickness in the edges!
                            Thanks
                            Luann

Comment

Thank you very much Nancy, for the tip about the twill tape. I'm interested to hear if you find the zig-zag works better. Being a dressmaker I would have thought that the zig-zag stitch would give more stretch, which is what you want to avoid, than the straight stitch. Of course it depends very much on the quality of the twill tape. I will see if I can find some 1/4" wide tape for my next set of table mats and try both stitches out.
                              Marianne

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2129 users online. 272 members and 1857 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X