Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Not really a quilt - help

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really a quilt - help

Making a banner for a friend to use in a fancy dress parade -
    Its a metre square in ecru which I appliqued on local "things" which had been photocopied on to cotton sheets

I plan to surround the pictures with the decorative stitches on my sewing machine - enhance the pictures
    and maybe look like it was all sewn including pictures - an impression of it really

my problem - do I decorate with all the stitches before I layer with batting and backing and then quilt ??
    or do I put the batting in and then fill up with decorative stitches as holding layers together not quilting stitches
    which might not be needed
    No time for it all to go wrong and redo, my inclincation is to layer then decorate
    Would it work??
    Back not important probably will be covered with other notices in card

I would probably layer, then decorate. If it's a banner, you'll want a lot of quilting to keep it stable, so that'll help. But you'll want the quilting to be fairly evenly distributed, so if you have some small areas that would have a lot more stitching than the rest of the quilt, you might want to do those before sandwiching.
    '

Comment

For a banner of this size quilting is not strictly necessary. However some quilting just around the motifs of the embroidery can enhance the look of them. I would suggest doing the embroidery first - probably with an extra layer of muslin underneath if parts of it are going to be densely stitched. All banners I have seen do not have quilting detail showing through to the back lining. Then construct the layers, this can be done at least 2 ways that I can think of,

1) mostly hand work - lay out the 'top' face down on a table, cut your stabiliser/batting to finished size and place in position. Th top needs to be a good 1.5 inches larger all around (more is good). Fold in the edges, pin,then herringbone stitch in place. Mitre fold the corners. then take your backing/lining, centre it up, fold in the seam allowances so that they are just short of the edge (1/16"-1/8"), pin from the centres to the corners and work from opposite sides evenly so that it is laying flat. Stitch together, using slip stitch or ladder stitch. If doing it this way, you could incorporate a hanging sleeve under the lining.

2) Mostly machine work - Lay out the backing right side up. Lay out the 'top' right side down on top of it. lay out the stabiliser/batting on top of the 'top' smoothing as you go. Pin it together around the edges. Machine together leaving a 6"-8"gap (at the top would be least noticeable in this case). Trim the batting only close to the stitching line. Fold the corners neatly and turn it through, 'roll' the edges between your fingers, so that they are neat & the seam is on the edge - you could press it at this stage. Machine edge stitch it all the way around. The sort out your hanging sleeve.

If the banner is going to be hung by tabs these will need to be added before the lining is stitched into place.

Hope you show us the finished piece

Comment

Never thought of your method 2) for joining layers - it saves a binding too mmm mm..?? what to do...
        oh dear.

It occurs to me for another project making a book - both these methods are ideal , glad you posted them
        Cannot show my effort until after the fancy dress parade in June -

Comment

Yes I agree all the stitching would add weight- thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
          I will think of these two replies for a couple days before deciding - then go for it thanks

Comment

The second method is know as 'bagging out' ideally you will try and have the lining a fraction smaller - say 1/8" in each direction, then when it is hanging ,it won't droop and show along the bottom edge. Prewashing the fabrics will also help. Which ever method you use, a table large enough to lay it out flat on makes it so much easier. (helped my Mum put together an alter frontal some years ago, so I have some experience in this)

Comment

I am just seeing your thread and am curious how the banner for the parade turned out! :cheer:

I liked the ideas of decorative stitching w/ muslin if needed and then layering. Cutting the lining/backing 1/8" smaller on every side is brilliant.

If you are able to post a photo, I'd love to see it.
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
              Tired.
              Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
              BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

Forgot I did not get back to add the picture which turned out well- just made it like a small quilt

Comment

do you want to know the story behind it? - Local parade, topic local. which is - Council passed the propose to spend 3million I think to make a building to hold the famous new Scottish Tapestry - to be repaid over I dont know 70 years maybe. The councillor proposing is said to quote * if other councillors did not agree they had "tumshie heids" scottish for Turnip heads!
                  picked up as amusing . Many local voters thought the money could be better spent in the Region not that we all do noy like the new Scottish Tapestry which is amazing - google it. My brother is famous for entering a local topic thing in the parade , thanks to his wife sewing and me this year making the banner.

Comment

I'm glad you shared the story too!

I like your quilted banner. It looks like you figured it out just fine. It is flat and not ripply as well as lovely quilting around your designs. (applause)
                    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                    Tired.
                    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2089 users online. 269 members and 1820 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X