Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

To stabilize or not to stabilize fused applique

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To stabilize or not to stabilize fused applique

I am working on a really cute applique quilt for an expected great grandchid due in June. I am using Pellon Lite EZ-Steam II fusible web (not the easiest to work with, even after a YouTube tutorial about it - but Steam a Seam II has gone bye-bye :x ). I have the base fabric square with the applique pieces fused on it. The next step is to buttonhole stitch around each piece. I have done limited applique in the past and can't remember if I used any stabilizer underneath or not. I have some Ricky Stable Stuff, but not enough for the whole project. I bought some "tear away" stabilizer some time ago only to find out that it only tears in one direction...very difficult to remove. I have also used just copy paper. But I don't want any puckering so am here for advice. I know a lot of you can help me.

Alexandria, VA

I think this is another place where you'll get lots of different opinions. Janet Stone suggests using stabilizer in her instructions for the BOM and that is certainly the safest route. I haven't had any problem with the fusible applique that I've done without stabilizer. I think it probably all depends on the weights of your fabrics and fusible and on how tightly your machine stitches. You could always do a test on scrap fabric and that would tell you if you need to use the stabilizer.

Nancy

Comment

How about light weight iron on interfacing then you could leave it in :?

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I use Golden Threads Quilting Paper. It tears away easily. If any of the paper gets stuck in the stitches, use tweezers to remove it.

Comment

Annis...I use Golden Threads paper, too...often using scraps from other projects so as not to waste a lot !
          I found that different machines need various weights of stabilizer as well as different fabrics need different
          weights....test, test, test ! :roll: Question...Annis... re:BOM... do you have a favorite method for reducing
          the size of these blocks ? :?:

Comment

As long as the project will get washed, I starch the background heavily. No worry with stitches causing a tunnel. No paper to pull off.

Coast of South Carolina USA
            Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Thanks so much for all the advice. I got out my package of Ricky Tims Stable Stuff and lo and behold, I do have enough for the project, so I am home free. I did another block today and still having trouble with the fusible, but learning all the time.

Nancy

Coast of South Carolina USA
              Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Originally posted by idaho
                Question...Annis... re:BOM... do you have a favorite method for reducing
                the size of these blocks ? :?:
                I use Adobe Photoshop Elements (the version I now have is 11). Go to Photo Editor. Open the PDF document. Choose the page you want to reduce by left clicking on it. Change the Image size on the right to the desired Width (divide by 2 to get 1/2 width). The Height will change automatically if Constrain Proportions is checked. Click OK. The page will open in reduced size. Click on Image - Resize - Canvas Size. Change width to 8 1/2 and height to 11 (the size paper you will be printing on). Click OK. Choose View: Fit on screen to see full page. Choose File: Save as (I use the default name), and Format: Photoshop PDF. Save in a folder where you will be able to find it. Close Photoshop. Open the PDF file and print as usual.

Comment

Thanks, Annis...I'll see if I can get that accomplished !

Comment

I've had good results using coffee filters (unused!) as a stabilizer. Its easy to tear off.

Comment

I have done quite a bit of fusible applique finished with single buttonhole stitching and have never used a stabilizer on the back. I find the stitching looks great if I loosen the top tension a bit down to about a 2-3, and use thin thread in the bobbin, it lays flat just fine. For a traditional look I like Aurifil 50 wt cotton or DMC 50 wt cotton on top, for modern I like Superior Rainbows Variagated 40 wt. on top. I use Aurifil 50wt cotton in the bobbin or So Fine 50wt poly.

I usually use Heat N Bond Lite for my fusible and cut out the middles of all the pieces so it is only like a 'donut' of fusible on the the edges - this keeps the appliques softer.

Comment

Michelle, what a great idea to cut out the centre of the fusible to make it softer. Thank you.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

You're welcome Pam. I leave 1/4" of fusible following the drawn line of the shape. If it's a small piece like a leaf or circle, I cut so there is about 1/8" of fusible left. I call this the 'donut' method. LOL It works great and if the cut out scrap is large enough, it goes into the bag for next time for other fusible shapes to be cut from!

Try it you'll love it!

Comment

When I've done a buttonhole stitch without stabilizer, the fabric gets scrunched up. The next time I will definitely practice first and try what Michelle suggests and practice with a stablilizer. I get different outcomes with different machines too.

Comment

Just for your information, Pellon has a problem with their Pellon Lite EZ-Steam II fusible web. I called the 800 number to complain & they are sending me Wonder Under to replace what I bought. They know it is "defective" so I would suggest you give them a call. Love the Ricky Tims stable stuff. It tears away easy or can just be left in.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2120 users online. 272 members and 1848 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X