Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Blocking a bound quilt

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking a bound quilt

Hi -

I blocked my wholecloth quilt before putting on the binding, but I want to block it again before mailing it off to the show in the hopes of getting it to hang as straight as possible. I'm worried about the pins leaving holes in the quilt. Before the binding was on, I just put the pins in the outside area of the quilt where the binding would cover up any holes (and I just don't remember if there were any holes to cover up). I know that others block quilts after the binding is on. Do you have any problems with holes showing where you put the pins in? If so, how do you handle this? Do you rub your fingernail over each hole until it disappears? I assume that the best place to put the pins is in the ditch between the binding and the body of the quilt, correct? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I don't want to screw this up!

Thanks!

Nancy

Actually I'm blocking a bound quilt right now and I put the pins in the ditch. I don't think there will be a problem but I can't see it before it is dry. If you are willing to use the finest pins for this I'm almost sure you're good to go. Good luck with it all

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thanks! Are the fine pins strong enough to hold the quilt in place while stretching the quilt? This is the first quilt I ever blocked in the first place, and I used T-pins originally.

Comment

I'd like to know the answer to this question also. I finshed a wall hanging, but just hung it up and it's wonky a bit. ops: I hope re-blocking it will help. I've even thought of stretching it over/putting on firm wooden frame (on the back) would that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Zarah
          Actually I'm blocking a bound quilt right now and I put the pins in the ditch. I don't think there will be a problem but I can't see it before it is dry. If you are willing to use the finest pins for this I'm almost sure you're good to go. Good luck with it all
          Quoting yourself, hmmm!
          Anyway, I took the pins out of my quilt today and I use the coarse flower head pins. You can see some holes when you look carefully, but in this case I'm sure no one will ever see it.
          Just to tell you

Comment

I block with my pins in the ditch until it is just a little damp, then take the pins out and let it continue to dry. If there are marks of the pins you could use a steam iron to steam them out (don't put the iron on the binding).

Comment

Yup! That's the way I do it, too! Pins in the ditch. But, I use a stronger flower head pin. I've gotten pretty good at bending the finer ones, so save them for lighter work. A tiny drop of water and a fingernail will easily eliminate a pin hole. Good luck on your first entry into a show!

Dawn
              In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Thanks for the advice and assurances!! I'll do the blocking this weekend. I'll try my flower pins to see if they are strong enough.

Nancy

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their good advice. I blocked the quilt on Thurs and just took the pins out yesterday. I used the thin flower pins, except in a couple of corners where they weren't strong enough. There I used the T-pins. The flower pins left very small holes which I could easily close with my fingernail where needed. The T-pins left larger holes, but I think they aren't as noticable in the corners. I worked at them a bit and I think they are fine.

Thanks again!

Nancy

Comment

Thanks to all who answered Nancy's question because I was going to come on and ask it myself. :lol: I have never blocked a quilt at all so I have another question: How wet am I supposed to make it?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Mine is usually right out of the washer--I do a double spin (you know, put it through two spin cycles)> Then I start blocking. Don't know what is right or what others do--this is just what I do.

Comment

This was the first quilt I've blocked, but I soaked it completely in the bathtub so I could really control the water temperature, then put it in the washer on a very low spin cycle. When done, I took it out and pinned it to the floor. The quilt was thoroughly wet, but not dripping, at that point.

Nancy

Comment

Can I do this without putting it in the washer? I have some raw edge applique on it that might fray. Can I pin it down and use a spray bottle to wet it?

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                            Can I do this without putting it in the washer? I have some raw edge applique on it that might fray. Can I pin it down and use a spray bottle to wet it?
                            Absolutely! That's the way Diane Gaudynski does hers! She puts down a sheet of plastic (like a drop cloth from the hardware store) to protect her carpet, then liberally sprays with water and uses pins to get everything squared. Here is a link to her web site, but it's not been updated in a while. http://www.dianegaudynski.net/
                            I absolutely love her work!!

Depending on the size of the project, just a mister bottle would work or for really big projects, even a (NEW!!) garden type sprayer.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

A friend on another list said to pin it securely, use a damp towel and steam it into submission :lol: ! So that's what I ended up doing. I have one of those cardboard dressmakers' boards with the lines on it, so I used corsage pins and stretched it square. I used as much steam as I could and now it's laying there with 2 fans on it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone who posted; I appreciate the suggestions, and Margo, I'll check Diane's site right now.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2700 users online. 391 members and 2309 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                              Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X