Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Backing Color for 2010 Star Crazy

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Color for 2010 Star Crazy

I wonder what color backing Sue used for the 2010 Star Crazy quilt? What color did others use or do you plan to use? I don't recall reading about this in the forum.

I'm pretty sure that Sue used white on the back. I don't know if it was the same as the background, or maybe another fabric.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

In answer to the question of what color of backing I used on Star Crazy... I was going to say "I wish I could remember!"... and then I remembered that I have the quilt in the other room! So I went and dug down through the pile and checked. I used a tan/cream/taupe wide-back fabric for the backing. But here is the more important question: How do I choose what to put on the back of the quilt? I choose the fabric based on a series of questions I ask myself:
      1) what color of thread am I going to quilt the top with? If I'm going to use white or off-white, then in general, I am going to use a white or off-white backing. If I used a contrasting color, my quilting would have to be "perfect" on the top of the quilt so that it would look good on the back of the quilt. It's too hard to be a perfect quilter!
      2) if I am going to use multiple colors of thread on the quilt top, I generally choose a backing fabric that will best hide the quilting thread on the back.
      3) how much leftover fabric do I have from the top of the quilt and do I want to use it up? If I have a lot that I want to use up, I often piece my back from the leftovers -- big rectangles and/or squares and/or strips - and then I add whatever other fabric will "fit" with those leftover fabrics. My thought is that "if the fabric was planned for use on the front of the quilt, it will 'match' when used on the back of it." If I have any leftover blocks, I will add those to the pieced back, too. Waste not, want not!
      4) would this quilt be better off if I used a wide-back fabric (90+ inches wide fabric)? I think that sometimes it may be important to have a nice, smooth backing on a quilt -- one where you don't want seams on the back that you have to push through when quilting.
      5) is this quilt going to hang somewhere? If it is, I will often choose to use fabric where the straight of grain runs top to bottom -- so that the quilt won't "sag" when it hangs. I've seen large quilts that really do sag when hung on walls for any length of time.
      6) what do I have in my stash that is usable for the backing? Sometimes, even after asking myself all the other questions, it comes down to one question: do I need to go buy more fabric or is there something I can use that I already have?

Happy sewing!
      Sue

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thank you for your information! I'm about three months behind on finishing my quilt, but retire in two weeks. I'm so looking forward to completing the top and enjoying the quilting process. Sue and Margo both, I marvel at your creativity in designing quilts and then choosing quilting designs to finish them. . . .I've learned so much at this site. Happy sewing!

Comment

Another thing to consider is this: if you are machine quilting it or sending it out to a longarmer, we like busy backings; at least I do.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2035 users online. 182 members and 1853 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X