Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

marinar's compass

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris! Welcome to the place for getting ANY and ALL quilting questions answered! Yes, I'd go with paper piecing in a heartbeat! For accuracy and less rippits!

I'm in a suburb of Houston, TX. Quilter, needler of any kind of fabric, watercolorist, retired Nurse Practitioner, gram of 2.

Comment

Hi Chris,
      This is a photo of my mariners compass. It's so long since I posted a photo on the forum that it may not work but here goes
      Oh my goodness I think it worked.
      Anne
      It's not a very good photo though!

Comment

WooHoo Anne! Looks wonderful!

Comment

Lovely mariners compass Anne. I have the same pattern but never tried it. You have given me the confidence to give it a try some time soon. I love the colours you chose, very soft and warm.

Comment

Thanks Ritzy and Rita for your kind words. Rita I found the pattern really easy and used batiks.
            I got the pattern from "Fons and Porter" Love of Quilting magazine March/April 2007.
            Anne
            UK

Comment

Beautiful mariner's compass, Anne. Love the soft colors and the simplicity of the quilting accentuates the center design perfectly.

Comment

Beautiful, Anne! Welcome, Chris~

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Anne, your Marinar's compass is breath taking, when I do mine I hope it looks just as good as yours. I lost my MOJO for a month & can't get back in the swing of things. I was gone for a wk to watch grands & when I got back I had no ambition what so ever. I think the weather has something to do with it as it has been way below 0 over here for a wk now & coming for another wk. right now it's -21 below this is what living in upper WI gets you. I need some one to kick me in the behind & tell me sternly to get up & do it!!! Sorry that I needed to vent.

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Chris I know just how you feel I hadn't done any patchwork for months as I was doing a large x stitch for a friend and couldn't wait to get back to my machine, But when I went to the sewing room I didn't know what to do, So I started small with a colourful Christmas wall hanging, but I still procrastinate and spend way too much time on my laptop......jigsaws...... mah-jong.......solitaire ....etc. such a time waster.
                    But I am making an effort to sew.
                    Hope you get your mojo back.
                    Anne
                    In freezing UK but only zero how do you manage -21?

Comment

Originally posted by anne1
                      Chris I know just how you feel I hadn't done any patchwork for months as I was doing a large x stitch for a friend and couldn't wait to get back to my machine, But when I went to the sewing room I didn't know what to do, So I started small with a colourful Christmas wall hanging, but I still procrastinate and spend way too much time on my laptop......jigsaws...... mah-jong.......solitaire ....etc. such a time waster.
                      But I am making an effort to sew.
                      Hope you get your mojo back.
                      Anne
                      In freezing UK but only zero how do you manage -21?

I got my MOJO back, church called & wanted a MARY outfit for XMAS service 12-15 & I think that was God's sign I'm now so excited, PRAISE THE LORD.

Now it's 0 & with a wind chill -22 below 0 we usually get this in Jan but weather is very weird here this yr. We manage cuz we're used to this in upper WI gotta love it here. I have a friend in Prembroke, Canada & sometimes our weather is colder than hers. Take care :-) I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy now <3

Comment

Come join us here. We'll do our best to at least try to warm your spirit. I think if I spent a week taking care of my Grandchildren I might loose my MoJo too! Mine are 9,7,5 & 2yrs old. My son has the oldest 3 and i get tired just watching them in action. It's just not as easy as it use to be. Glad you are feeling better.

Comment

Yes, paper piecing does make it possible to make razor edge and knife sharp stars. The only thing that I would add is
                          the following recommendation with regard to a course of action. Get a small pattern for a paper pieced star. Get the feel of
                          this tecnique. Relax your shoulders, take the time to get closely acquainted with sewing in paper piecing. This is a good idea
                          with any new concept. Take the fear and sweat out of a big job by doing a few little ones first , using your new learned skill !

Comment

Originally posted by Frostythesewman
                            Yes, paper piecing does make it possible to make razor edge and knife sharp stars. The only thing that I would add is
                            the following recommendation with regard to a course of action. Get a small pattern for a paper pieced star. Get the feel of
                            this tecnique. Relax your shoulders, take the time to get closely acquainted with sewing in paper piecing. This is a good idea
                            with any new concept. Take the fear and sweat out of a big job by doing a few little ones first , using your new learned skill !
                            Is using 'paper' better than using the old fashioned pellon that they use to use before paper was better :?: I have yrds & yrds of paper pieced pellon used just for pp. I know to use tiny stitches but what is better? With the pellon it is thicker & washes up OK but by using paper does it get stretched out easier? Can't you tell that I don't know what is easier?

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone here I guess I have a new family using this forum from now on
                            Ho Ho Ho Chris

Comment

Definitely a family here. With paper piecing--you have to remove the paper before quilting. Ricky Tims has a product that can be used for PP and left in and becomes soft when washed.

Comment

I am now a fan of paper piecing but I used to totally dislike it. I couldn't do it. It would go upside down and whonko and I would end up having to unsew and resew and on and on. But then TQS put on Carol Doak's video for a while. I watched it twice and totally understood it after that. They no longer have that video available, because it was one of those extras that only run for a short while, but you can obtain it from her website. Also, Carol Doaks was a guest on TQS show 1213 where she also explains her methods. I can only add to that that I found if I use a higher number thread (I use Superior Bottom Line) to do the piecing and press with an iron between steps I get a better result. I also use a see-through paper, which helps me a lot. Hope this helps.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                                Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2257 users online. 278 members and 1979 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,300  
                                Welcome to our newest member, Vicki Robles-csadrbls80.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X