Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Wrinkle resistant linen fabric treatment

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrinkle resistant linen fabric treatment

Does anyone know if there is a treatment for Linen Fabric, that would make it more wrinkle resistant? I have even inquired of Cindy Needham, and she had not heard of any.
    Thank you
    mary

Hi Mary, The wrinkles in Linen are impossible! I was looking at some websites and found this information. I couldn't paste the website because it wouldn't let me for some reason. The website is http://www.fabricsandbuttons.com and then go into 'choosing fabric'. This is the info that was there:

LINEN
    Linen is made from the stalk of the flax plant; it is the strongest of the vegetable fibers, 2 to 3 times the strength of cotton. The linen fibers can range from 2” to 36” long. They are first spun into yarn, which is then woven into fabric. Linen comes in many weights, the lightest being handkerchief linen, the heaviest being linen suiting. Linen is desirable in hot, humid climates due to its high moisture absorbency, and the fact that it is quick drying. Linen gets smoother, softer, and finer the more it is washed. Its luster is due to the natural wax content, which also gives linen a smooth surface.

Qualities
    Stays clean: linen sheds surface dirt and resists stains.
    Wrinkles: linen really wrinkles, even those that have been given a wrinkle-resistant treatment. A good tip: press fabric before preshrinking; it sets the formaldehyde, and helps keep wrinkling down. On the plus side, linen presses easily. Since it creases easily, it can be given a crease-resistant finish (tebilizing) or can be blended with poly.
    Shrinks: here is another natural fiber fabric that shrinks. It is essential to preshrink linen before you start to cut. Buy extra fabric, as you will lose some due to shrinkage.
    Frays: linen fabrics really do tend to fray. Before you pre-wash, it would be a good idea to serge the raw edges. As you make your garment, it would also be good to serge the seams and any other raw edges.
    Doesn’t drape; instead it is crisp.
    Easily dyed, and color doesn’t fade.
    Absorbs moisture more quickly than any other fabric – it is great for toweling and tablecloths.
    Looking for quality
    Feel: the better quality linen fabrics are smooth and supple. Look at the finish – is there a lot of sizing on the fabric? Not a good sign!
    Fibers: good quality linens have finer yarns. Check out the number of threads per inch – remember that as with bed sheets, the higher the number of threads per square inch, the better the quality. The threads should be woven straight and even.
    Fabric Prep
    Although linen fibers are washable, some loosely woven linen needs to be dry-cleaned. If you determine the finished garment will be dry cleaned, steam press it before laying it out for cutting. If you want the colors to keep their intensity, or want the linen to remain crisp, choose the dry cleaning option. If the linen will be washed: for dark or bright colored linen, you might want to “set” the dye by adding a product such as Retayne to the wash water. If you are washing white or off-white linen, if you add one tablespoon of bleach to the wash water, it will soften the fabric. Keep in mind the tip about pressing before preshrinking to help with the wrinkling. Press the fabric before laying out for cutting.
    Pressing
    Use a steam iron at the highest setting. Some linen will get slick when you iron it, so use a press cloth and press on the right side.
    Layout/Cutting/Marking
    Use the patterns without nap for layout. Be careful marking, some chalks leave a mark. The best marking method is using pins, snips in the seam allowance, or fabric markers (test on a scrap first). Cut with scissors or rotary cutter.
    Sewing Needles
    Use a 70/10 for the lightest weight linen, and 80/12 for all other weights.

Rita.

Comment

Great info, Rita! Thanks for sharing!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I once read a comment in a novel where the lady was happy over the fact that her linen dress showed wrinkles
        as compared with the cheaper poly dresses that did not. Her belief was that the wrinkles showed she could
        afford a better quality dress! :shock: Maybe it's all in our perspective. I keep telling myself that when I
        wear a linen suit that wrinkles just getting it out of the closet. :wink: :roll: :wink:

Comment

Yes linen is a pain in the ass! And a lot of linen clothing is not lined which would help it keep its shape a bit better. I usually starch anything linen in the hopes that I will get through the day without looking like I just got out of bed in it! It helps a little. :roll:

Comment

Thank you everyone for your inputn and sharing your experience in wrinkle resistant linen. Appreciate your helping me as I look for a solution

Comment

What about quilting it pretty heavily?
              keithdommer.com

Comment

I usually associate linen for clothes in a really hot climate, at which point I really don't think that quilted linen would be any fun at all - light or heavy :wink:

That said I have some really heavy 'holland' linen and it doesn't throw itself into creases every time you look at it - but it does try it's best to imitate cardboard instead
                keithdommer.com

Comment

love that cardboard statement! I have some linen that itches as well

Comment

Are you sure they took the thistles out in the processing? :wink:

Comment

i'm allergic to linen - so i've always considered it an itchy fabric... much too itchy to wear anyway... it's ok for throw pillows ans similar - love my grandmothers' old linen sheets / tablecloths etc - but again for me: never for the bed - my mom loves the real linen linens for summer - according to her - it's the best to have on your bed in summer - and who's going to see the wrinkles
                      Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

Then there is the linen I bought one time that smelled like formaldhyde.
                        Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

Ah yes I can just see it now - Ritzy - Eau de formaldhyde - because you're worth it! :lol: :lol:

Comment

Yes, and it is such a wonderful way to preserve your youthful good looks!

Comment

And the added fragrance of Forget Me Not! 8)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2171 users online. 214 members and 1957 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,227   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,317  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X