Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

long arm quilter

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long arm quilter

I cannot access Alex's podcast. I really don't have a "masterpiece" quilt just an average, everyday one. I would like to know how to find a good long-arm quilter and a general guide for the prices. I really don't have a clue what it should cost, so if someone could give me good guesstimate, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

This is one of those things that can possibly start out at your local quilt shop or shops. Head over and ask for a few recommendations. Perhaps even bring your quilt with you. Seeing the quilt might give them an idea of who to recommend.

Second, give the person a call and check out their prices and their scheduling. Their prices will depend on how new they are in the business and several other factors including thread, batting & backing. If they're really busy it might take several months to get the quilt back to you. Also, ask if it's possible to see some of their work.

Third, if it's important to you ask about smoking and pets. If you have allergies to either this could be key.

Fourth, remember you're paying for their time as well as their talent. Their time is just as important as the materials they use.

Check around on line. I know of a couple of machine quilters who advertise on line and do good work. From what I've seen online Alex's quilter is good and so is Judy from sunshinequilts.com

Happy quilting,

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Judy Laquidara is a wonderful long arm quilter, and a super nice lady to boot! You can find her over on <a href="http://judylaquidara.blogspot.com/">her blog</a>. She does a lot of mail order work.

<a href="http://www.wanderingquilter.com">The Wandering Quilter's Life in a Box!</a>
      Teri

Comment

As a professional in the industry I thought I would add my angle to this one. Of course, this is just my personal opinion.

When looking for a professional quilter, remember that you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a bargain...you need to be prepared to receive it. Most people spend countless hours choosing fabrics and patterns, then countless more hours cutting and sewing and pressing. Most people are careful to invest in the good quality fabrics found at their local quilt shop, and don't skimp on thread either. If you are one of these people, I implore you to not put "get a bargain" at the top of your priority list when searching for a machine quilter.

I would begin my search by asking friends/guild members/quilt shops for referrals. Ask about quality first. Find out who in your area is experienced, professional, and produces high quality work. Second, call a couple of the referrals and ask them their philosophy on quilting, their style, and ask if they have samples that you can see. Many of us have sample photos online, or can direct you to a quiltshop that has samples of our work hanging on the walls. Not only do you need to see that we produce quality work, but you need to find out if we quilt in the style that you prefer.

Now, on the topic of price. Most of us have a scale for our prices. For instance, I charge a whole lot less for edge-to-edge freemotion then I do for heirloom work with trapunto. Be honest with your quilter, let him/her know that you want it done at their inexpensive end of the scale. Even if it's quilted simply, if you have chosen a quality professional, you will get a quality quilt job. Believe me, there is a HUGE difference between a quality quilting job and a sloppy one, even if it's just a simple meander.

As far as wait time goes, understand that a quality professional will have a reasonable wait time. It's not that it takes us FOREVER to finish your quilt, it's that we need to give our time, love, and full attention to every single quilt ahead of yours in line. Be patient and your quilt will also get all of our time, attention, and love when it's turn is up. Also remember, that any professional with a good reputation will have a large customer base and therefore will have a longer list of quilts on their schedule.

Good luck to you!
        Teri

Comment

Some people are on a budget so pricing is a concern. But don't sell yourself short. NO ONE should go for a "one price fits all" type of pricing.
          Ususally those ladies have a 1+ year wait, and will quilt anything for $50, hope you like white thread and you have no choice of batting or quilting pattern. They do allovers (the one that is easiest for them).

Did you know that it costs a longarm quilter about $15k to get a machine? Did you know that they take classes, teach classes, basically invest in their skill set so that you have a beautiful quilt returned to you?

This is a business for them, and they/we love our work. Some are volume businesses and some of us aren't. I persoanlly do not rush through a quilt just because there are 50 more behind it.

Several magazines have had articles on what to expect from a longarm quilter...do your homework, checkout their websites, webshots, references, etc. Certainly this is easier to do if they are local to you. So check your quiltshops and your sewing centers, as they may be able to refer you to someone in particular. Quilt shops often have "arrangements" with one particular quilter that they refer their business to, so that they get free quilting for the shop. While the quilter may do beautiful work, you may have to wait a long time to get your quilt back or you may be paying a premium $ for quilting.

99% of the quilters out there are honest, trustworthy quilt lovers. Be sure to ask them about smoking, pets, etc. Be sure to tell THEM about smoking, pets, etc. Ask me why I know this!!

Good luck, I hope your find someone wonderful to work with, so that you can continue making quilts for years to come!

Cynthia
          The Quilting Diva
          Teri

Comment

Another post from someone who longarms for a living!

Most everything has been covered quite well here but I will also throw in this.

Your cost of quilting will also depend on the part of the country that you live in so try to research on stuff thats in your area an not just on the internet! I can tell you there is a large difference where I live now from where I used to be!

Sorry theres no One Size Fits All kinda answer on this one. All I can say is do your homework and find someone who is a good fit for you! Dont be afraid to ask them tons of questions - they should be happy to answer you!

Good Luck

Kalynda
            Teri

Comment

I think how much you want to pay also depends on how many quilts you make. I have a couple of ladies who, if they had to pay for custom for every quilt, wouldn't make as many tops as they do. So, even though I may do an edge to edge pattern, I do my best to fit it to the theme of the top and many of the patterns on my site look like custom work when they're on the quilt.

Eileen Keane, mailto:[email protected]
              http://www.designingquilts.com
              Gammill Classic w/IS Turbo(cl)
              Maybrook, NY

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Originally posted by KalyndaQuilts
                Another post from someone who longarms for a living!

Your cost of quilting will also depend on the part of the country that you live in so try to research on stuff thats in your area an not just on the internet! I can tell you there is a large difference where I live now from where I used to be!

Sorry theres no One Size Fits All kinda answer on this one. All I can say is do your homework and find someone who is a good fit for you! Dont be afraid to ask them tons of questions - they should be happy to answer you!

Amen to that,
                I also long arm quilt, I live in a town that is more or less a dying town filled with a whole mess of senior citizens living off their low pension/ SS checks. When I did my research before I got into the business, I had realized then, I would never be able to charge a price that someone in, major cities, or high cost of living area's could charge.

So, in saying this, Kalynda is right, do your research locally, call your local quilters guild, ask them questions, most will tell you who their favorite quilter is and why. Not all long arm quilters have websites on line, I'm one of them, my business is spread by word of mouth, if they love what you do, they do tell others along with their bragging rights.

Phyllis

Comment

My goodness! I had no idea my name had been mentioned here. I just joined last week and haven't gotten through all the forums.

Thanks for the compliments!

I'm good but there are lots and lots of good longarmers out there. I've been longarming for almost 10 years now and through the years, I've heard a few complaints and I think about 99% of the problems could have been avoided had communication been clear and concise.

No matter who you're going to hire to quilt your tops, be sure you know what they're going to do and they know what you think they're going to do.

Examples:

Stitch in the Ditch - I'm big on stitching in the ditch around at least the major shapes/pieces. Not all longarmers do this so be sure if you're expecting it, the longarmer knows this.

Thread - Ask what kind of thread the longarmer uses. There are all types and I'm not saying some are better than others but if you're a cotton purist, be sure they aren't using a poly thread on your quilt. Many longarmers will use a cotton or cotton/poly on top and then use something like Bottom Line in the bobbin. It's much easier to get the correct tension, especially when using one color on top and one color in the bobbin, if you use something like Bottom Line in the bobbin. Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong or right about this combo, just saying that you, as the quiltmaker, need to know ahead of time what's being used in your quilt.

Batting - If the longarmer is providing the batting, be sure you know what type of batting you're getting.

Quilting Designs - To avoid surprises/problems, the longarmer should put in writing what he/she plans to do on every part of your quilt. Most of my clients will tell me to do whatever I think works best but I always want them to know ahead of time. A quilt may scream to me to put feathers in every open space (that is what most quilts tell me!) but you may dislike feathers terribly and I will not know that unless we discuss it ahead of time.

Timeline - There should be a definite date as to when the quilt will be completed and returned to you. I've seen people who were thrilled with the quilting but were so frustrated by the amount of time it took them to get their quilt back, that they would never use the longarmer again. That's not good for anyone! We sometimes get booked out far in advance. There's no reason for your quilt to sit at my house for 5 months until I'm ready to work on on so I ask that everyone send their quilt to me just a couple of weeks before it is scheduled to be quilted and then I try to get it right back as soon as possible.

Price - The cost of quilting, any add ons such as thread charges, batting, fees for squaring the quilt, etc., should all be known by all parties in advance of any work being done.

If everything is agreed upon ahead of time and put into writing for reference by both the longarmers and piecer, there should be no problems. Don't be afraid to ask for references and for pictures of previous work. Most of us have tons of pictures we're more than willing to share.

Good luck finding the longarmer who will be the perfect match for you and your quilting style.

Judy Laquidara
                  blog: http://judylaquidara.blogspot.com

Comment

I know that Judy and I are not the only LAers out there. Come on people,
                    join in!!!
                    If this is going to be a completely interactive site, we all have to pitch in. :wink:

Comment

I feel that I must give a plug for my favorite long arm quilter. She is Tara Thom, the Town and Country Quilter, in Albion, NY. I recently got back a quilt from her that I finished for my elderly client who died (see my "story") and I teared up seeing how beautifully she had quilted it. Her quilting will ensure that this quilt is a true testiment to this woman's legacy. Tara is not that expensive, about $160 for this king-sized quilt. She did a lovely all-over wavey, swirly meander and it was perfect with to tucks or anything. It also only took about a month.

I once paid ALOT more for another long-arm quilter and was so disappointed with tucks and tons of threads everywhere.

I think you need to see examples of the quilter's work and I see Tara's all the time at our guild. She is well recommended. A good Long Arm quilter is a true ARTIST and Tara is an Artist. She's also businesslike and has a contract with all the specifics like thread color, quilting motif, etc.

Comment

I'm not plugging myself, honestly. But I do agree-you should be able to see samples of the longarmers work. That's why I invested in a website with a gallery. People who don't know me can just click on the page and there's lots of pictures of quilts I've done.
                        eileenkny :wink:

Comment

I just have to plug my long arm quilter. She is Diane Jordan, here in Vicksburg, MS. She has been quilting for the LQS and on her own for a while, but is now going out completely on her own. She asked me today if I would spread the word. She plans to have a web site in the near future. She does beautiful work and I'm sure would be glad to furnish pictures or her work as well as references. I'll be glad to furnish her phone number if anyone is interested.

Comment

I too agree with all of you longarm buddies, homework is essential to everyone being happy. ASK, ASK, ASK!!! I love talking about quilting. Questions are essential, not only for the person having their quilt tops done but also for the quilter who requested to do the quilting. Prep work is essential. The owner of the quilt top also has to know what is expected of them. Is their top square, free of threads, or if their borders lie flat. Every one has to do their homework, to have the finished quilt be perfect!!
                            Living Threads
                            http://www.livingthreads.net

Comment

Gran, you should get your friend to join TQS herself, she can list professional long-arm quilter on her profile and who knows, get some business that way.
                              Living Threads
                              http://www.livingthreads.net

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1073 users online. 181 members and 892 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X