Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Handiquilter Sweet 16

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Phillipa Naylor at Quilt Festival the year she won the big award (don't remember the name of it) and she stitched at what I now think would be a 15 or 20 on the HQ. she was using a domestic machine at that demo. And her discussion was that she has to really harp, harp, harp, to get her students to slow down. That they THINK they have to run at full speed and she is in total disagreement.

So, in contrast to what we 'think' of the top quilters doing, I think many of them quilt slowly.........now for large feathers, etc. I don't know as so far I haven't done them.

Lynn

Comment

My HQ Sweet Sixteen Sit-down is on order. I have a question for you pros. I ordered it so the open toe foot will be installed. I'm having second thoughts because of ruler use. Have any of you changed a foot yourself? It looks a bit complicated. Do you use the various rulers with the sit-down?
      All advice appreciated!

Comment

I have used rulers w e open toe foot w no problem. The foot is a bit too cumbersome (for me) to change back and forth.

Congrats on your new machine.

Comment

I use them all the time with mine. Visual is so much better with open toe. You won't regret!

Comment

thank you both so much. You have eased my mind. The dealer seemed to think that the flat front of the open toed interfered with the ruler. Then I looked at the directions for changing the foot and thought that changing is not like changing a Bernina foot!
            Can't wait....

Comment

Didn't have much trouble changing my foot, but harder than domestic machine. There is some adjustment available in the height of the foot and I have used this a time or two when doing trapunto type quilting.

Comment

Sue, congratulations on your new Sweet Sixteen! I changed my closed toe foot for an open toe foot- not as easy as with my DSM at all! I've kept the foot on because I do like the visibility with the open toe foot. As for rulers, I'm still working out how best to use rulers with this machine.

I've had my machine since May of last year, i love quilting on it. I hope you enjoy yours to the max!
                Kathy

Comment

I really like my HQ Sweet 16, even though I've had some timing issues with it.

BUT, I'm trying to now put it on a frame, which requires something to replace the foot pedal. I called HQ to ask for their help, and the rep was not at all helpful. She refused to give me any information because of some BS about "assuming liability" for another company's frame. She did say HQ has their own stand-up upgrade for the SS, for $4000.

That would bring the total for a stand-up machine to over $8000, and for that price I could have bought a better system to being with. My point is, if you ever think you'll want to upgrade the sit-down SS to a stand-up system, I would think twice about this machine.

Comment

Update on a happy camper...I've had my Sweet Sixteen for a week and am totally thrilled! I know at my age, I'll never be in a house that is big enough to house a frame, so this is just the best. I'm even looking at Modern Quilt Guild quilts that have lots of open space to just quilt.

Back to the machine

Comment

I don't know how many of you watch shows on qnntv, but there is a whole long arm series there, supported by HQ. I've learned a lot!
                      They recently ran a special on subscribing for $12 for the year. I don't know if it's still on or not.
                      Susan

Comment

I just bought a store demo Sweet 16 and am busy learning more about tension, threads to use, etc. I intend to also put the SS on my Hinterberg stretch frame and use it as a stand up machine. I had purchased the Hinterberg frame a few years ago, intending to put my Janome 6600 on it, but lost interest in that when I realized I would have such a small quilting area that it was hardly worth it.

We have put the machine up on the frame and the only adjustment we have to make is to lengthen one iron bar that has the handles on it. Otherwise, it should work just as it would had I put the Janome 6600 on it. I have seen another person have success doing this. The Hinterberg folks don't see any issue with it. So, onward.

I would love to see this thread reactivated and hear from other SS owners. The more info the better. I rejoined QNNTV to take advantage of the videos. Lots of good sharing out there, thank goodness!

Bonnie

Comment

The HandiQuilter web site has lots of instructional videos including some specific to the Sweet Sixteen: http://www.handiquilter.com/videocatalog/

I especially like this one on Thread, Needles and Tension: http://www.handiquilter.com/videocatalog/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks, Margo. I've watched most of those and was very happy they provided them. After I watched theirs, I went out looking for more, hence QNN, etc.

Question: I bought some SuperBob bobbins and noted that some people recommend removing the cardboard and others say it works fine with the cardboard left in place. Do you have any recommendations on that? I'm still using bobbins I wound myself, noting that many folks caution not to wind the bobbin thread too tight. I have the older bobbin winder... what a Rube Goldberg machine it is! I was shocked that it's design wasn't more elegant. I see it now is redesigned.

Bonnie

Comment

Originally posted by BonnieB2
                              Thanks, Margo. I've watched most of those and was very happy they provided them. After I watched theirs, I went out looking for more, hence QNN, etc.

Question: I bought some SuperBob bobbins and noted that some people recommend removing the cardboard and others say it works fine with the cardboard left in place. Do you have any recommendations on that? I'm still using bobbins I wound myself, noting that many folks caution not to wind the bobbin thread too tight. I have the older bobbin winder... what a Rube Goldberg machine it is! I was shocked that it's design wasn't more elegant. I see it now is redesigned.

Bonnie
                              Bonnie, I have the older HQ16 which is basically the same machine head as the Sweet16, but mine rides on tracks. I use both the prewound bobbins as well as self wound bobbins and I also still use the older bobbin winder.
                              First of all....about the bobbin winder...I use an extension cord with an on/off/speed control to make it more safe and user friendly.

I can control the speed with this so I can easily wind light weight threads like MasterPiece and MonoPoly threads at a slower speed.

As for the pre-wounds. It was explained to me that the newer machines have a faster motor speed and sometimes it helps to leave one or both sides of the prewound bobbins on because the drag of the cardboard helps to adjust the speed of the bobbin. :?:

Our machines operate at a slower speed and it seems to help to remove BOTH of the cardboard sides of the prewound bobbins, which is what I usually do.
                              The advantage of the prewounds is that they have much more thread on them than we can get with our Rube Goldberg devices! :lol:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I remove both sides of pre-wounds because the tension is just too tight with them on. I have an HQ SS (am I repeating myself :roll: )

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2891 users online. 558 members and 2333 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X