Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Maintenance on Featherweight?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintenance on Featherweight?

I have just got myself a Singer Featherweight - it is being serviced at the moment and has been given a clean bill of health. I just wondered if I could check with you all how often the machine should be oiled, and how much? I have downloaded a copy of the 221 manual - thanks! Jacky

Here is a really good page with maintenance specifics: http://singerfeatherweight221.blogsp...herweight.html

I just got a Featherweight, too -- and I LOVE it! I'm using low-shank feet not specifically made for it, and they work like a charm. The buttonhole attachment makes lovely buttonholes, dare I say, nicer than my Bernina!

Ruthann

Comment

First suggestion -- Aftermarket book by Johnson-Srebro. Has history and maintenance information. Things like how to put the needle plate back on correctly with the little finger in the slot (its in the book).
      Second -- I clean and oil mine every 6 months if I am not using it much (mostly my travel machine) and once a week if using it alot. I can hear the difference when it starts to want some attention.

Comment

I love my FW! If it's been sitting unused for a while I give it a good goin' over. If I'm using it every day I'll put a drop in the bobbin every day. I got a great suggestion from a book on Featherweights--I bought a large gauge syringe from the pharmacy and use it to oil my machines. It works great and I can reach little places and I don't get oil all over the place. The syringe only cost 25 cents! I kind of got "the look" when I asked for it, but the pharmacy clerk was very helpful when I told her what I wanted it for.
        Sherry

Comment

I'm definitely going to get that book AND a small syringe! I want to keep Jezebel running!

Ruthann

Comment

Thanks Sherry, Ruthann - will look at those links. Which are the attachments you got for it? I am looking forward to getting it back on Wednesday - I haven't tried it at all yet. I bought it on ebay - took a bit of a chance but the repair man has said it is a good one, not much sign of use, and just a couple of small dings on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by gloucestershirelady
              Which are the attachments you got for it?
              I have the regular presser foot, a 1/4 inch seam foot (for piecing accurately), a zipper foot, a buttonhole attachment, and a darning foot. I've used all of them and they work well. The 1/4 inch foot, the zipper foot, and the darning foot I bought on eBay, and they're not specific to the Featherweight -- they are "low shank" feet and work perfectly.

I was most pleased with the darning foot because I do a lot of threadtracing (painting with thread) on art quilts, and I had hoped to be able to use my Featherweight when teaching classes rather than have to lug my heavy Bernina everywhere.

Even without covering the feeddogs, the darning foot enables me to move the quilt sandwich around just fine. If you want to cover the feed dogs, the buttonhole attachment comes with a metal cover specifically for that purpose.

I ordered the book mentioned above and can't wait for it to arrive so I can get to know "Jezebel" a little better!

Ruthann

Comment

I LOVE my two Featherweights, too!!!!! I think the rule of thumb for oiling and lubricating the gears is every three bobbins. These machines were built for owner maintenance and don't need to go to a shop. I took a class at Road to California a couple of years ago and learned how to replace my own belts, etc. Enjoy these precious little machines--you're so lucky to own one! Judy in Torrance

Comment

I've had Sophie for about a month, and have only one issue. The first two or three times I wound a bobbin, loosening the smaller wheel had the desired result - the needle did not go up and down during winding. Since then, however, even tho I loosen that small wheel, the needle continues to go up and down. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, but it shouldn't work that way. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Comment

This from the Featherweightfanatics website. I cannot vouch for these instructions and be careful.

Someone also asked about why the machine keeps moving even when the clutch is released for winding a bobbin. I did have success with this manuver: I removed the little screw from clutch wheel on the balance wheel and unscrewed
                    the clutch wheel. Then I lifted out the little clutch nut inside. Then I
                    pulled out the balance wheel--but I didn't take it off the machine (cause it looked like guts were coming out were I to completely remove it, and I DID NOT want that to happen). After I'd gotten an area of about 1-2" exposed I sprayed it all with WD-40 cause there was lots of black gunk in there. I then wiped off the gunk, oiled it all up nicely, and reassembled the whole thing. It now works fine.

I had the same trouble once before and just cleaned and oiled the machine (be sure to get all the locations per the manual).

Comment

dianaupp - Thanks for the tip! I didn't find any gunk behind the wheel (I continue to be amazed at how clean the machine is!) but I did put a couple drops of oil inside that area, and it seems to be working fine now. Maryrinwi

Comment

My 221 has just come back from being serviced - thrilled to bits with it. I haven't had it running yet. It is sitting on the table where I can admire it! I wonder what it is about these machines that makes them so cute!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2111 users online. 241 members and 1870 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X