Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Viking Mega Quilter

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viking Mega Quilter

Does anyone have any experience with these machines? They aren't long arms but they are set up to do quilting on a frame. They are very affordable for the home quilter at around $2600. I'm considering buying one and would like as much feedback as possible from users.
    Barbara

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Please make sure that it's a stable set up. How long across is it? Also, remember, the throat space of your machine will determine the size of the quilts you can do. You might not be able to do a king or queen without taking it off and turning it around.
    eileenkny

Comment

Eileen,
      Thanks for your good advice. I don't plan to quilt for profit. I have a full time plus job so I've decided on a Mega Quilter and frame. It isn't a long arm, but I feel it will work for me. I'm excited!!
      Barbara

Comment

Barbara,
        I had a Mega Quilter on the Inspira frame and loved it- the frame was stable and the machine great. I don't know anything about the new frame Viking has paired with the Mega Quilter. I quilted over 20 quilts on it in the 2 1/2 years that I had it. I recently invested in a Gammill Premier Pro because I felt that I had outgrown the Mega Quilter. I did find the quilting space restrictive on the Mega Quilter as my skills grew and desire to do more complex quilting designs. I sold my Mega Quilter to a gal who is loving it, so it found a good home.
        I hope you enjoy it!!
        Mary

Woodbury, Minnesota, USA
        Longarm quilter - Gammill Statler

Comment

I own a Viking Mega Quilter and also the Next Generation Quilting Frame. I love it!!!! Its a wonderful set up, it isn't a long arm, but its a nice home setup.
          I would love to own a long arm, but do not have the funds for that, so this was the next best thing.
          Heather

Woodbury, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Originally posted by hestia
            I own a Viking Mega Quilter and also the Next Generation Quilting Frame. I love it!!!! Its a wonderful set up, it isn't a long arm, but its a nice home setup.
            I would love to own a long arm, but do not have the funds for that, so this was the next best thing.
            Heather
            Are you still quilting on your Mega Quilter? I just purchased the Imperial frame & Mega quilter machine and yes, I did splurge for the cruise control. The nice thing about the Imperial frame is that I can upgrade to a machine with up to an 18 inch throat later down the road and won't have to fuss changing frames. That was the biggest seller for me, well that & the price.

Woodbury, Minnesota, USA

Comment

I did purchase the Mega Quilter and Inspira frame. I had it set up about a year, but I could never get used to the frame. I now use the Mega Quilter on a table, and I love it. I do a lot of straight line quilting and in-the-ditch, and it was nearly impossible on the frame. I'm going to look into selling my frame. I've been watching and trying Leah Day's free motion tutorials as well as those here on TQS-I'm finally feeling more confident.

Woodbury, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Originally posted by clarbarba
                I did purchase the Mega Quilter and Inspira frame. I had it set up about a year, but I could never get used to the frame. I now use the Mega Quilter on a table, and I love it. I do a lot of straight line quilting and in-the-ditch, and it was nearly impossible on the frame. I'm going to look into selling my frame. I've been watching and trying Leah Day's free motion tutorials as well as those here on TQS-I'm finally feeling more confident.
                I finally got everything set up and have now quilted 2 small crib size quilts & I am loving it. For straightline quilting, my husband had some thick plexiglass scraps in the truck shop, so he cut me a straight piece for a guide and it works great for the horizontal lines. I'm still working on matching up the vertical lines after advancing, but as with everything, practice, practice, practice. As far as the machine itself...stitches beautifully and the only problem I have had thus far with thread breakage was due to operator error. ops:

Woodbury, Minnesota, USA

Comment

I bought my Mega quilter and Inspira frame in 2006 and have used it on several occasions. But I, too, would like to try some free motion quilting and I intend to try that after I finish the lap size quilt on the frame. I am so glad I "caught this" on the internet - makes me feel a little more reassured about success! Thanks for sharing. May I ask how big your quilts were? I had a king size quilt I actually sent out to have done professionally - so, so heavy. My concern is shifting the weight around on a lapsize or queen size quilt. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2132 users online. 303 members and 1829 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X