Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

The Summer Quilt Project with Robin Long -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Summer Quilt Project with Robin Long -- Ask Questions Here

Please use this TOPIC to ask questions about Robin Long's Summer Quilt Project.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Hi Barbara- Would like to sign up for Robin Longs Summer Quilt Project! Been wanting to try one of her patterns and here she is Yay!
    Sue Horton

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      No need to sign up. Just follow along once the project begins July 10.

Hi, I can't find the template to make the12 inch and larger circles. The booklet shows pictures of small circle template. The pattern has a template for the center circle, the petal and the dresden. Thanks, Janet
    JET

Comment

• Robin commented
      Editing a comment
      The template sheet comes with the book and ruler. It is a large paper sheet that is folded up and in the center of the book with the ruler. You might have set it aside not knowing what it was. Let me know if you still can't find it.

• JANET E. commented
      Editing a comment
      My template sheet arrived yesterday! Thank you.

I finished my practice compass block, it measures 12" - if I make a 12" circle I will not have enough fabric to press to the back - what did I do wrong? My block lays flat, I have more than 1/2" above the points...
    Last edited by Marge P.; 07-24-2023, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Robin commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Marge! Sorry for the tardy response as I was on a long ago planned vacation last week to Yellowstone!
      So just want to verify that your block is measuring 12" across the diameter from raw edge to raw edge? Things to check would be to see if your 1/4" seams are accurate and not more than 1/4". Also pressing is really important in getting the seams to be totally flat with out any overlap on the front. Don't be afraid to add some moisture and then press from the inside of the block to the outside of the block all the way around. The more you do this, the larger your block will get and the flatter it will lay.
      It would be helpful to me if you could send a pic of both the front and back of your block with a straight edge ruler on top to see the diameter.
      Let's start there!

• Marge P. commented
      Editing a comment
      Robin, I hope you had a wonderful vacation! Thank you for answering my question. I am remaking the test block, I finished the 8 pies today and plan to finish it tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I am also going to repress the first block to see if I can make it a bit larger. Your directions are wonderful. If I have any further problem I will send you pictures. Thank you!!!!!!

• Marge P. commented
      Editing a comment
      Ruth, I remade the block, it turned out to be a perfect 12.5" block. I am not sure what happened but I am thrilled. Thank you for your help. I am posting a picture of it below.

Perfect 12.5, thanks Robin

Comment

• Robin commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! So glad you got success the second time and glad my directions are helpful. This is why I really encourage folks to make a practice block to make sure they get all the bugs worked out.

Robin, I have an older instruction booklet. It only has the compass block not the sunflower block. How can I get the full instructions?
    I did the practice block, it came out great. Thanks for such great directions.

Comment

• Robin commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Linda, Glad you had success with your compass block! You can order the updated A la Carte book on my website on the Shop page. The updated book has 4 chapters - Mariner's Compass Chapter, Companion Compass Blocks chapter (this was formerly a separate book), a better Finishing Chapter, and a chapter on my no circle finishing method called OctaCompasses. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Comment

Robin, just starting out to make my test block. My "Fat Robin" rulers have brown paper on the front of your rulers. How to i get that paper off?
      Robin Hessefort
      Waunakee,Wisconsin

Comment

• Robin commented
        Editing a comment
        The brown paper is there to protect the rulers during manufacture. Start by picking at a corner to lift the paper off the ruler, and then slowly pull the paper off. It should come off in one big sheet.

This is not a question but an observation for all the left handlers.
      i found using a rotating mat makes work simple.
      Line up everything like Robin does in videos/book and then rotate the mat 180 degrees to cut.
      Monique 
      Morrisburg, ON  Canada

Comment

• Robin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your comment! Yes, lefties should make sure to read "Tips for Lefties" that I include on the last couple of pages of my Fat and Skinny Robin 16-Point instruction booklets. Glad the info was helpful!

If I make a different size compass, how do I figure out what size to make the companion compass block? Thank you.
      JET

Comment

• Robin commented
        Editing a comment
        Look at the table for the Round Sunflower blocks and for the yellow highlighted line that lists the finished center size. For example, an 18" Round Sunflower block has an 8.78" finished center. This means you could make an 8" Compass to put in the middle. Hope this helps! Lots of combinations are possible!

I am making the Winter Wreath into a quilt. Do I cut the center circle for the 12” compass from the background fabric that is in the optional kit? Will I have enough for the background? Thanks. I’m enjoying this project.

Comment

• Robin commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, you should have plenty of fabric for cutting your center from the 3 1/2 yards you received for the optional kit. On Page 4 of the pattern it talks about splitting your yardage and then sewing it back together. You will have a piece that is about 86" x up to 63". This then gets cut down into a square - up to 63" x 63" (the pattern calls for a 60" square and you can make it a couple inches bigger if you want). You'll have plenty of fabric left over after trimming this into a square for making your center. Hope this makes sense!
      This reply by Moniquer has been deleted by Moniquer

I’m working on trimming the Dresdens, according to my measurements they should measure 14.5”. I have the pdf pattern and after taping the template sheets I come up short (‘first 2photos), third photo shows my adjustment, would this be correct? Thanks
      Monique 
      Morrisburg, ON  Canada

I’m working on trimming the Dresdens, according to my measurements they should measure 14.5”. I have the pdf pattern and after taping the template sheets I come up short (‘first 2photos), third photo shows my adjustment, would this be correct? Thanks
      Monique 
      Morrisburg, ON  Canada

Comment

• Robin commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Monique, Thanks for reaching out. Your picture with the two pieces of paper butted together is correct. My template measures 14 1/4" from top to bottom. See pic in next post.
      This reply by RobinRuth has been deleted by RobinRuth

Here's this pic of my template on my cutting board for reference.
      Attached Files

Here is the pic of my template on my cutting board for reference.

Comment

• Monique L. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for this.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2126 users online. 326 members and 1800 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
    X