Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Kaleidoscope

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[[email protected];n887568]I had a lot of trouble putting together 4 and 5. There is a big gap. Anybody else have this problem? It just does not finish. I hope this isn't the problem that Ricky kept talking about. I thought I was OK, but the two pieces to NOT fit.[/QUOTE]

drjonih8, Can you post a picture, so we can understand what you are talking about. Might be able to give you some suggestions.
    HelenW

Comment

• Joan H. commented
      Editing a comment
      I know there were instructions some where on how to post a pic. I'll do my best. I really need help. I could cut off one part and make it fit. I'd have to do it on all pieces. Just don't understand what the problem is.

[[email protected];n887612]I know there were instructions some where on how to post a pic. I'll do my best. I really need help. I could cut off one part and make it fit. I'd have to do it on all pieces. Just don't understand what the problem is.[/QUOTE]

Look on the left, Latest Forum Posts, for How To Upload Photos Step by Step
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

[[email protected];n887612]I know there were instructions some where on how to post a pic. I'll do my best. I really need help. I could cut off one part and make it fit. I'd have to do it on all pieces. Just don't understand what the problem is.[/QUOTE]

drjonih8, Is this the location you are having problems with? Look at this picture try to describe where the gap is. HelenW

Comment

• Joan H. commented
        Editing a comment
        The problem is above the arrow where 3, 4 and 5 merge. I added my 1/4" s/a but it seems still to be 1/4" short on #3. I've checked, doubled checked; made separate cardboard cuts with the s/a added and it comes out the same. At the small area where 3 actually meets 5 there is a 1/4 gap. I've tried a couple of ways but nothing has been satisfactory. I have to wait and hear from you or I'll lose it all Thank you,

Ricky & Barbara B. I finally got the center done as I did use some pale colors. I am using bright colors for the next round. Do you think I am doing okay? My first time on something like this. My material is more pattern than it looks like. Looks good here.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Ricky and I are in Dallas taping new shows.
        HelenW gave you excellent advice—watch the four lessons to see how the kaleidoscope is constructed.Your soft center looks fine.

[QUOTE=2star;n887641]Ricky & Barbara B. I finally got the center done as I did use some pale colors. I am using bright colors for the next round. Do you think I am doing okay? My first time on something like this. My material is more pattern than it looks like. Looks good here.[/QUOTE]

Linda R, Your center is beautiful. The process is not done in the way you are doing it. The center is template 5. You put the kaleidoscope together in reverse order. That means you add the template #1 to 2, then add 3. The last piece is number 5.
      Also you do not make the full circle as you go. You make 4 quadrants that are square.That is made by sewing 3 wedges together.
      to make a quadrant. You should watch all 4 of Ricky's free lessons on You Tube. HelenW

Comment

• Linda R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Helen W. this is template #5. Maybe I drew mine different which is what Ricky said we could do. I am putting template #4 on today. I watched his video again & that is what I am doing. This is only the center of my future circle. I didn't say what I had correctly.

Picture for Linda R of layout. Put together from the outside to the center on each wedge. Sew 3 wedges together. First one is too blurry, but the lines show where the
      wedges are. HelenW
      Last edited by Helen W.; 08-26-2021, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Helen W. I made a picture of the #4 piece I placed this evening. We think it looks good but like I said I am cutting & folding the way I think mine should lay. Do you still think I am doing this wrong?

Comment

[QUOTE=2star;n887655]Helen W. I made a picture of the #4 piece I placed this evening. We think it looks good but like I said I am cutting & folding the way I think mine should lay. Do you still think I am doing this wrong?[/QUOTE]

Linda R, It is not necessarily wrong, it is just a harder way of doing it. You will probably run into a bunch of Y seam situations.
          The way Ricky designed it, allows for almost beginners to put it together. The way you are doing it, will get real fiddly when you
          get to putting templates into really weird shapes. I like you color combos. Keep posting your pictures as you proceed. You are
          thinking out of the box for sure. Good Luck.So far it looks great. If yours works out, I might even try another one, doing it your
          way, so there is more control of how the colors look within the kaleidoscope. HelenW
          Last edited by Helen W.; 08-28-2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Linda R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Helen W. I guess I don't understand as I put wedge 5 & then wedge 4 as I thought Ricky did. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. As he put wedge 5 up I did to. Then I did wedge 4 like he said. Did I not angle right. I guess I don't understand how to sew this unit together but I was putting it on my board the way he did. Please advise. I don't want to throw this away.

Linda R, Here are 2 screen shots from Ricky's Lesson 3 on construction of kaleidoscope. He makes one wedge at a time from
          the outside of the edge working your way in to the center, template 5. The circle does not become a circle until the wedges are sewn into 4 square quadrants, then the squares are put together like a 4 patch, and the magic, is now there are circles for the kaleidoscope just appear. HelenW

Note: Ricky has a powerpoint screen where it says Assembly One wedge at a time.

Comment

[QUOTE=2star;n887654]Helen W. this is template #5. Maybe I drew mine different which is what Ricky said we could do. I am putting template #4 on today. I watched his video again & that is what I am doing. This is only the center of my future circle. I didn't say what I had correctly.[/QUOTE]

Linda, Helen W has given you excellent help on this.

The process to make this quilt is to sew, 5 to 4, add 3, then add 2, and then add 1 to make a wedge. Repeat making 3 wedges that will be sewn into a quarter, AFTER the butt and wedgies are added to those 3 wedges.

You sewed all 5’s together first, and that is the problem. Take those apart and make the complete wedges first. As you are un-sewing, watch Ricky’s instructions again so you understand the construction process.

I like your color/fabric choices.

Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

• Linda R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Barbara, I have not sewn anything together yet. I just started & putting my pieces on the felt board like Ricky said in his video. My husband watched the videos also & said I was doing exactly what Ricky said in putting pieces on the felt board just to see that everything will come together right. I know when I sew, I will start at the top & work down on the wedges as Ricky said in video 3.

[QUOTE=2star;n887689]Barbara, I have not sewn anything together yet. I just started & putting my pieces on the felt board like Ricky said in his video. My husband watched the videos also & said I was doing exactly what Ricky said in putting pieces on the felt board just to see that everything will come together right. I know when I sew, I will start at the top & work down on the wedges as Ricky said in video 3.[/QUOTE]

Perfect! You had them so nicely aligned, it looked like you had sewn all the 5’s together. Press on!
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1579 users online. 337 members and 1242 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,778   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,497  
            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X