Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MY FLOWER GARDEN—Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY FLOWER GARDEN—Ask Questions Here

Use this Topic for questions about Dee’s latest class.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Alex showed the batik fabric squares on you tube two days ago. Any chance of finding out the manufacturer/names of the fabric? They were beautiful and I'd like to find them (outside of the kit).

Comment

This is a test post by the admins.

Comment

• Georgia B. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a test comment by the admins.

I wondering with all these reds should I prewash them? How should I treat them so they do not bleed later on when I wash the quilt? Thanks for your assistance.

Comment

• Peggy P. commented
        Editing a comment
        I washed my reds with synthrapol & they didn't bleed at all - also used color catchers that came out white. Some of the fabrics did ravel a lot though. I'm debating as to whether to wash the rest of them . . .

• Dee C. commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a good idea to wash the fabric before we start. The red doesn't bleed a lot but it does bleed. Use synthrapol while washing to keep the bleeding from happening. A couple of the darker batiks also bleed so be sure to wash everything first.

I am a Star Member. I have already purchased and received the 'My Flower Garden' kit. Now where do I go to print out the free PDF pattern? TY & God bless all.

Comment

• Dee C. commented
        Editing a comment
        It should have been in an email sent to you. I will find out for sure and let you know

• Dee C. commented
        Editing a comment
        Look for the pattern download link in the receipt you got when you ordered the kit. If you can't find it there let us know and we will send you a copy.

What method do you use with a front loading machine and synthrupol? Can you just do small batches in a sink? Dee what method of pressing do you use?

Comment

• Dee C. commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually do small batches in the sink but I would put the synthrupol in the liquid soap container of your machine.

I washed the red fabrics used color catchers. the catchers were still pink after the second wash, do I keep washing as long as they turn red/pink?

Comment

• MissingOxygen commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the same problem and question.

Originally posted by smtkg View Post
      What method do you use with a front loading machine and synthrupol? Can you just do small batches in a sink? Dee what method of pressing do you use?
      Suzanne, I have read that sunthrapol does not work well with front loading machine due to the lack of water it soaks in. I have a laundry sink beside my front loader and I soak it in sunthapol and very hot water for 20 minutes. When I do a bunch of batik colors
      for a project I often use 2 gallon zip lock bags. Put the fabric in add hot water and sunthapol zip it closed and do about 5 different colors in different bags, just laid in the laundry sink. I save the bags when I am done to use again with fabric. I rinse in the sink with cool water and put in the front loader to spin with a color catcher in case there is any color left in them that is brought out in the spinning. This has worked well for me. HelenW

Comment

• Suzanne G. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Helen. What ratio do you use for the 2 gal bags?

On today's show (6-26) I failed to mention that I would be sharing placement of appliqué next week. Each time I work on appliqué I will share different tips and techniques and how I use them.

Comment

• Kathryn B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Dee. I had just logged on to see if anyone else was having difficulties with this. I am using needleturn and since the pieces include the seam allowance the placement of each piece is giving me fits. It would have been nice if the pattern included a full size diagram of each of the applique sections.

Originally posted by smtkg View Post
      Thank you Helen. What ratio do you use for the 2 gal bags?
      Suzanne G, Just saw your comment this morning. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I just put a tablespoon in each bag.
      That was just from trial and error and it seems to work. HelenW

Comment

Just curious is anyone else noticed the 2 different sizes for the red backgrounds. It general info shows to cut all at 10 1/2 while in the section it shows some cut 20 1/2

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like it would just be a few less seams to sew. HelenW

• Peggy P. commented
          Editing a comment
          It does seem the cutting instructions for the background are different that what appears in Section 1, as there is no 20.5 x 40.5 strip to cut. You would just have to sew 2 10.5 x 40.5 strips together. Looks like there's plenty of fabric no matter how you do it.

• Dee C. commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct. You can do it either way. I am choosing to cut the pieces as individual for less seams and speed.

The sunflowers are kicking my backside! I came up with a couple work arounds. For the small flowers, I arranged the petals then used tiny spots of glue to secure them to the center. I hand appliqued the whole flower, starting with the petals then around the center. (left side of the pic)

For the large flower, I put all 10 petals on one long thread, then gathered each petal separately. I spaced them out and arranged them in a circle so the gathering would show behind the center. I’ll use tiny glue spots to hold the petals on the background to appliqué them before adding the center. If you zoom the petals, you can see the yellow threads. The dark fabric was for contrast, my background is light.
        Susanne

Comment

I very much like the way you solved your petal issue. I learned something from your struggle, so thank you for that.

Comment

The pattern I have for my flower garden quilt was downloaded from the site when I purchased the quilt kit. After today’s video with Dee, on August 21, I searched through my printed pages to find the blocks 12 and 13. The block patterns I have for these 2 blocks are different from the ones Dee talked about using today. She showed a picture of the blocks but where is the actual pattern page for these two blocks? Also, I have 2 different whole quilt pictures of this quilt and one of them shows the picture of the blocks Dee said to use, but there is no pattern page for those blocks. Help!

Comment

• Landa R. commented
              Editing a comment
              After looking at the front page and instructions, I am confused too. I am finishing up another quilt and am behind on this one. Can we please have the WRITTEN instructions for the block we should be making. It looks like what is provided for block 12 is used as block 13. HELP!!

For Section 4, my vase and stems were too small as printed from the downloaded pattern. I reprinted that page at 125% and cut the stems a bit longer just to be safe. The leaves and flowers seem OK. Is it me or ???
            Susanne

Comment

• Peggy P. commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought the stems looked too short so I cut mine a little longer - it worked out ok, but I didn't have enough room to put all the leaves on. I only used 2 on the long stem.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2876 users online. 528 members and 2348 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
          Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

• Desert Windmills
            What happened to Saturdays you tube lesson?
          • No more items.
          Working...
          X