Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

This is what I have learned . . . .

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I have learned . . . .

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Taking on this BOM was a new venture for me, as I am a fairly new quilter, begining in 2006 . . . sewing machines frightened me, so I stuck to cross stitch, rug hooking and needle turn applique. Anyway, I thought I would jump into this enormous project with no rope! I have made a few quilts over the past few years and figured it was time to join a group where I would be challenged. It was my understanding that the directions would be clear and to the point. Boy, was I ever surprised at what my memebership bought. . . .

I chose to make three BOM quilts - one in Kaffe Fassett fabrics, one in civil war repro fabrics, and one with the purchased kit. I used the kit to begin each month, as I figured my skills would increase with each block I made . . . . . I will say it once again - Boy, was I surprised at what my membership bought! Sue Garman's pattern and directions were amazing, Margo's tutorials were key, and the questions and answers that you all submitted and replied to were instrumental in making this a joyful quilting year!

So I thank you all for your posts, which helped me to grow as a quilter. My Kaffe-style quilt is now complete, as I finished it as a twin quilt and it is now ready to be sent to the long-arm quilter. My repro quilt will be made into a queen, and I am right on target with it. The kit quilt will be made into a king quilt, and not surprisingly, I am a bit behind on it. . . . . . I managed to keep up with the other quilts by having everything organized and grabbing spare time here and there . . . . it really kept the project moving forward. Any yes, I do have a full time job :lol: I will try and figure out how to post my pictures later today.

I learned . . . . pinning is my friend, practice, practice, practice and patience, patience, patience. Each stitch has it's own story, as so much of my time went into these quilts . . . . or maybe I learned patience, patience, patience, practice, practice, practice and then pinning is my friend! Either way, I thank you all for unknowingly helping me to grow as a quilter

Well, Karen, I must say that you are absolutely amazing!!! A relatively new quilter and you did 3 of the BOM's!!!!! And here I've whined my way through doing one. I am going to Show & Tell next - have you posted pictures there yet?

Comment

Thank you for your kind words! I have just posted two of the three.

Comment

What a great inspiration your message has been. This site has been amazing and everybody is SO helpful. I have only done one and have learned alot with it. Can't imagine doing three!!!! WOW. Will go look at your pictures later today when I get off work.

Comment

Your quilts are wonderful! You sure are industrious. Karen
          Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

O.M.G!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Those two are devine!!

You wait until Sue sees them!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comment

Bless your heart! I wish you could see the smile that I have after reading your note!!!

What a wonderful note. Thank you. Truly!

Comment

Karen your quilts are wonderful!!! I am amazed.
                I am still working on my flying geese. I also purchased the kit and have decided to make it into a king size. I have learned so much this year.
                My husband's 87 year old Aunt has had some problems the past two months so I have been taking care of her. I have not had time to post October's picture but have enjoyed everyone's quilts. They are all awsome.
                Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Paula in Arkanasas

Comment

Karen, Your quilts are BEAUTIFUL. You make me feel very humble. I spend too much time complaining that I dont have enough time to quilt, adult kids still living at home, part time job, etc etc, But honestly I just dont have the bottle to take on a huge challenge like you have. I am frightened of getting out of my depth. I think I need to give myself a serious kick in the butt and GET ON WITH A CHALLENGE. Thank you for showing me what I need to do. I look ofrward to seeing your last quilt posted. Pam

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Karen, your quilts are just beautiful. I am amazed at your organization to do three and work full time. I sure would love to hear your time management skills! I need help. Sandi in FL

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Karen: FABULOUS! Love them both. My repro is almost done and I'll post a photo soon. Congratulations on such a great effort--you're an inspiration.

Barbara

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                      North Alabama, USA
                      "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Karen, your quilts are beautiful! Judy in Torrance

Comment

Hello all,

I cannot thank you enough for your kind and wonderful words with regard to my quilts! Truly, my intent was to thank you ALL for what I have learned over this year. . . .

To answer a few questions, I did need to purchase some fabric for my Kaffe-style quilt, mostly for the floaters and definitely for the grayish background and setting triangles, but most came out of my stash . . . I am surprised at how much variety I was able to pull out of my stash . . . . no two star block are the same but each piece of Kaffe fabric offers enormous vaiety with regard to color. As an applique fanatic, I did have a nice stash to begin with :shock: although I must admit I did pinch a scrap or two from my friends!

My civil war repro quilt was made all from my stash. I am a true bargin hunter . . . . the fabric surrounding the feathered star is from a pair of linen pants I picked up at our local Goodwill and some of the star fabrics are from shirts I cut up. Most of the floaters were fussy cut, which I learned to do from reading my quilt books . . . . don't be afraid to fussy cut, as I learned it makes my quilts sing in special ways - a delight for the eyes!

Anyway, thanks once again for sharing your words and your pictures!

Karen

Comment

Karen,
                            Your quilts are out of this world!! I love, love the Kaffe Fasset quilt. When you take on a challenge, you don't kid around, do you? :shock:
                            I feel the same way about this site, especially the members. I don't know what I'd do without everyone here.

Now.............are you going to do BOTH of the 2010 BOMs? Both seem to be right up your alley. :wink:
                            eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                            Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Wow is all I can say, Karen, your quilts are beautiful. I will never again say, "I don't have time"! Please share your time management tips especially with those of us (ok, just me) who struggle with October, Pat

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2304 users online. 162 members and 2142 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X