Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

2nd white border strips

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd white border strips

I am having an issue with the measurements for the 2nd white border strips.

Page 7 instructions #8: I have added the left and right 66 1/2 border strips and I'm ok with that (11 x 6" stars = 66" + 1/4" seam allowance both ends = total 66 1/2"). Now the top and bottom border stips to be added say they should be 69". My quilt measures 68". Which is 11 x 6" stars = 66" + the left and right 1 1/4 border strips which are now 1" each as the 1/4" seam has already been taken up. I hope I'm making sense in trying to explain this.

My problem is will the half-square triangles fit my 68" (unfinished size)?

Thanks for any help.

Irene

I'm not sure if you solved this problem yourself, but now (two months later) I've come across the same issue (and your forum note). I believe that your conclusion is correct; that the top and bottom white border strips outside the 6" stars should be 68". I followed this math to its conclusion and believe that the measurements for all the rest of the border strips need to be recalculated.

Specifically:

1) The side green strips outside the 1 1/2" HST should be 71 X 1 1/4
    2) The top/bottom green strips should be 72.5 X 1 1/4
    3) The side wide white strips should be 72.5 X 4 1/2
    4) The top/bottom wide white strips should be 80 1/2 X 4 1/2
    5) The next side green strips should be 80 1/2 X 1 1/2)
    6) The final top/bottom green strips should be 82 1/2 X 1 1/2

As a result that final quilt measures 82 1/2, not 84 1/2

Of course, once you get the top/bottom green border stripe sewn outside the HST's, you can make the next white, then green borders any size you want and you'll end up with the size quilt you want.

Probably too late to help you, but it might help the next person in a quandry over the same issue. That is, if my logic and math are correct.

Comment

Thank you for your response. Frankly, I am surprised that no one else besides you and I ran into this problem, or at least no one mentioned it. I have finished the borders and honestly don't recall the measurements I used now. I appreciate you posting your measurements for others in the same predicament.
      Irene

Comment

Please accept my most humble apology for not catching this when it was first posted. ops:

I'm not sure about the math, but I hope you ladies have both figured out how to assemble your borders....it's been 2 years since Sue and I did ours and I can't remember this issue coming up before.

Thank you sjcamp for posting you math.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Irene:
          Glad to hear that you finished your borders successfully! It was reassuring to find your post on this forum; I only thought to check for it after I had worked through the problem. Aren't you pleased with how well your quilt turned out.

And Margo:
          No need for an apology. I was just a bit befuddled because to that point my construction had gone pretty smoothly, with very little easing needed to get all the pieces to fit. When this border seemed too long and I was contemplating how to ease in the excess I took a time out. When I returned to it I realized that it might not be me, and I got my calculator out and was relieved to find a solution. With just these borders and the row of HST's to add I'm nearly finished. Now it's on to deciding on a backing and figuring out how I will quilt it. It's my first large piece to machine quilt and I'm sure it will be a challenge.

I loved the pictures of your "From the Heart" quilt that were on the web site today. The machine quilting was stunning. And I took your advice on using starch in this quilt's construction with great results.

Sorry for not signing my previous post!

Susan from Massachusetts

Comment

Originally posted by sjcamp
            Irene:
            Glad to hear that you finished your borders successfully! It was reassuring to find your post on this forum; I only thought to check for it after I had worked through the problem. Aren't you pleased with how well your quilt turned out.

And Margo:
            No need for an apology. I was just a bit befuddled because to that point my construction had gone pretty smoothly, with very little easing needed to get all the pieces to fit. When this border seemed too long and I was contemplating how to ease in the excess I took a time out. When I returned to it I realized that it might not be me, and I got my calculator out and was relieved to find a solution. With just these borders and the row of HST's to add I'm nearly finished. Now it's on to deciding on a backing and figuring out how I will quilt it. It's my first large piece to machine quilt and I'm sure it will be a challenge.

I loved the pictures of your "From the Heart" quilt that were on the web site today. The machine quilting was stunning. And I took your advice on using starch in this quilt's construction with great results.

Sorry for not signing my previous post!

Susan from Massachusetts
            Thanks Susan! If you are interested, you can add a fun signature to your forum comments by following these instructions:
            http://forum/forum-questions-and-sug...s-on-the-forum

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1024 users online. 225 members and 799 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X