Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

border strips

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

border strips

Hiya all,
    On page 2-3 there are instructions for the white-on-white borders. But Sue's quilt has 3 green borders and I cannot find the measurements for those.
    Many thanks for your help and advice.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Margo,
    I accidentally wrote a message and started a new topic. How can I delete these 2 posts?

Comment

Lou, it will be fine to leave this post like it is. It will be easy for others to locate it if they have the same question.

The directions for cutting the green strips will be in next month's pattern. Like the white strips, they will then be set aside until time for final assembly in December.

Comment

Ok Margo, I understand that the post can stay.

It is just that apparently we can edit or delete our posts, and I wondered how I could do that.

Awaiting your urgent response ... haha

Comment

Originally posted by lou19
          Ok Margo, I understand that the post can stay.

It is just that apparently we can edit or delete our posts, and I wondered how I could do that.

Awaiting your urgent response ... haha
          If you want to go back and edit one of your earlier responses, just click on the "edit" button (top right) and make your changes. The only time you can completely delete a post is if you do it before someone else adds a comment to the topic, or you can ask the "powers that be" to delete it for you. It's best to check your post before you click "submit"! :wink:

If you go back and make changes to an earlier post after someone else has added a comment, there will be a notation that you've made an edit. If you catch it before another post is added, no one will know you made changes.

Comment

I have started putting the stars on my design wall and noticed that there is possibly a narrow white border strip on either side of the 6" blocks. Am I correct? I didn't see any instructions for cutting these white borders. Thanks. Irene

Comment

Irene, if you are following all of Sue's directions, you should have cut some long white strips in the first month and set them aside. You will use these in the final assembly.

Comment

Thank you Margo for the quick reply.

I did cut white border strips at 4 1/2" (2 by 74 1/2" and 2 by 82 1/2") for the wider border next to the binding. However, I was referring to what looks like a white strip either side of the 6" blocks.

Thanks again.
                Irene

Comment

Irene, look at page 2 of the Month 1 directions. You will find these instructions:

For right and left first border (inside of star block border), cut two 1-1/4 by 53-inch strips
                  · For the top and bottom first border (inside of star block border), cut two 1-1/4 by 54-1/2 inch strips
                  · For the right and left second border (outside of the star block border), cut two 1-1/4 by 66-1/2 inch
                  strips
                  For the top and bottom second border (outside of the star block border), cut two 1-1/4 by 69-inch
                  strips
                  · For the right and left third border (inside of the large triangle border), cut two 4-1/2 by 74-1/2 inch
                  strips.
                  · For the top and bottom third border (inside of the large triangle border), cut two 4-1/2 by 82-1/2
                  inch strips.
                  Tip: Have you ever sewn borders or sashing strips that you knew you cut the right length, only to have
                  them appear to be too long for your sashing or border strips when you sewed them in place?
                  Chances are that you cut them cross-grain and they did stretch and wave! The straight-grain of
                  the fabric is not inclined to stretch, while the cross-grain (perpendicular to the selvage) does.
                  Whenever you cut any strips – for sashings or borders or block units, try and cut them parallel to
                  the selvage. You will find that your blocks and borders fit much better.
                  Set these border strips aside until Month Twelve, when you will assemble your quilt top. If you put
                  them into a large zip-lock bag, the pieces will stay need and clean. Be sure and mark the bag so you
                  don’t forget, a year from now, what you intend to use these strips for!

Comment

Margo,

Thanks again. But, I'm still having trouble understanding this.

For example in Sue's design:
                    First 'green' border would be the one around the center stars (two 1 1/14" by 53" and two 1 1/4" by 54 1/2")
                    Then you add the half-square triangles. Isn't there a white strip (or border) before you add the 6" squares?
                    Then add the 6" squares. Then it looks like another white strip (or border) before the outer half-square triangles.
                    Second 'green' border is the one around all the stars and half-square triangles (two 1 1/4" by 66 1/2" and two 1 1/4" by 69")
                    Third 'white' border (two 4 1/2" by 74 1/2" and two 4 1/2" by 82 1/2")

It definitely looks like a white strip or border on either side of the 6" squares.

Irene

Comment

Originally posted by irenefrie
                      Margo,

Thanks again. But, I'm still having trouble understanding this.

For example in Sue's design:
                      First 'green' border would be the one around the center stars (two 1 1/14" by 53" and two 1 1/4" by 54 1/2")
                      Then you add the half-square triangles. Isn't there a white strip (or border) before you add the 6" squares?
                      Then add the 6" squares. Then it looks like another white strip (or border) before the outer half-square triangles.
                      Second 'green' border is the one around all the stars and half-square triangles (two 1 1/4" by 66 1/2" and two 1 1/4" by 69")
                      Third 'white' border (two 4 1/2" by 74 1/2" and two 4 1/2" by 82 1/2")

It definitely looks like a white strip or border on either side of the 6" squares.

Irene
                      Yes, Irene,
                      These instructions are on page 2. The white strips go on either side of the 6" squares:

"Before you begin cutting fabric for this month’s blocks, pre-cut your long borders from your
                      background fabric (the white-on-white fabric if you use the fabric kitted for this block-of-the-month).
                      Cut the following strips of white-on-white fabric; you will use this for future borders, but you should
                      cut the strips now to ensure that you have pieces that are long enough for the outer borders. Cut these
                      long border strips parallel to the selvage.

For right and left first border (inside of star block border), cut two 1-1/4 by 53-inch strips
                      · For the top and bottom first border (inside of star block border), cut two 1-1/4 by 54-1/2 inch strips
                      · For the right and left second border (outside of the star block border), cut two 1-1/4 by 66-1/2 inch
                      strips
                      For the top and bottom second border (outside of the star block border), cut two 1-1/4 by 69-inch
                      strips

Comment

Margo,

Finally, the light bulb went off! I'm sorry to be such a dunce but I was mixing the white and green borders. I didn't realize (or at least I had forgotten) that the instructions on page2-3 of the first month was just the white-on-white borders. I'm ok now. Sorry for going on and on.

Thanks so much.
                        Irene

Comment

Glad to help! Enjoy the process, and you will have a wonderful quilt!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2249 users online. 115 members and 2134 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X