Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

alternate method of applique - month 2

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternate method of applique - month 2

I'm not a fan of applique using fusible webbing and top stitching with blanket stitches. Is there an alternative way using wash-away applique sheets & invisible thread. How can I achieve those sharp points? Mona

Mona, I feel your pain! I have been debating this very issue for months! I concluded that it would not be possible to get the sharp points using Beth Ferrier's method of turned applique by machine - I'm guessing that's the method you're referring to. I paper pieced Month 2, which gave me very satisfying points. Otherwise, though, I think I will have to fold and go with fused applique. Looking ahead to the applique months, there are some pretty small teardrop shapes, and I don't think that turned applique by machine method will work well there either. By hand, sure, but it will be difficult to combine with the paper pieced edges.

I have a photo on my blog of a gorgeous fused applique quilt done by another TQS member, Sandy Lawrence. It was also a Sarah Vedeler design, and Sandy won two major prizes for it. It's the quilt that changed my mind! You can see it here: http://www.lakeviewstitching.com/201...er-myself.html

And my paper pieced Month 2 is here: http://www.lakeviewstitching.com/201...r-month-2.html

Good luck!

Comment

thanks for repling. wish I had this layout last weekend. I did use beth's method with ok results. after gluey fingers i twirled the points then cut excess fabric away. I've printed your layout for paper piecing if I attempt this block ever again. question: do you recommend the zig-zag stitch or a blanket stitch when using beth's method? I'm relatively new to quilting - only 3 years. I've set aside this year for some intense learning with this sedona star pattern and baby jane blocks. also hope to learn to machine quilt with home machine. again thanks for replying. it was very helpful. mona

Comment

Although I have been dabbling in quilting for over 30 years, this year is my first year of doing it seriously, so I am really pretty new too. I was not that happy with my results from Beth Ferrier's method. Maybe I need to practice it some more, but right now I really couldn't make a recommendation one way or the other. The idea, though, is to keep your stitches as invisible as possible.

Happy stitching!

Comment

I've got all the parts & pieces together except the September's set-in triangles. I had to find extra fabric so .... I would like to try doing the feather pattern for the triangles using Sharon Schamber's domestic trapunto method but a fellow quilter thought that the feathers were too close together to make an effective trapunto quilt pattern. I've never tried to incoporate trapunto into a quilt before and wanted the challenge. I was also worried about getting any accurate piece cut from the traputo fabric. Any suggestions from anyone in cyber land.
          I've only been quilting 4 years & this is my first attempt at a BOM. It's been interesting & I have learned alot. Thanks Sarah Vedeller for a great design!
          Mona

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1112 users online. 199 members and 913 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,211   Posts: 155,006   Members: 25400   Active Members: 1,518  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X