Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

New Questions

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Questions

I had previously posted under the title "Printer Ink". I think that topic has been fully covered thanks to all the respondents. I now have other questions which I think would be best split out on their own.

Here is my first new question. When are we supposed to take off the foundation paper (say on Month 1 for now)? I have sewn the small outer border on and it fit nicely BUT with the paper on when I pressed the piece I am getting paper wrinkles, if you understand what I mean. I really think if I removed the paper and sprayed it my fabric would be o.k. I sure hope so.

Another question, are we supposed to clip any of the curves to help in placing the circles? I didn't because it didn't say to do that but I think it might have been a bit easier.
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thatcrazyquiltygirl.blogspot.com">http://thatcrazyquiltygirl.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->

Whilst I am not currently doing this, my experience from dressmaking &amp; tailoring has shown that usually you are safer doing the clipping after the stitching. Also if you have a small seam allowance -1/8"- clipping is un-necessary. Also the angle of the clipping can make a real difference to the smoothness of the curve.
    Normally we are shown to do our clipping as is drawn on the left-hand side of the above circle, this I find can give you lots of small points at the base of the clip when turned out..
    If you clip as for the right hand side of the circle, I have found that these points tend to become eliminated - this I have mainly found on necklines, where for added smoothness I will clip each layer of fabric in the opposite direction and alternating to one another.

Even if this doen't answer your current problem, I hope it helps elsewhere.
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thatcrazyquiltygirl.blogspot.com">http://thatcrazyquiltygirl.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Elsewhere here! It helped me

Comment

Hi Jetmaio,

You can take the paper out as you go along - as long as you leave the paper on while there is something new to be added. Does that make any sense at all?! I would leave the center paper on until you have it stitched into the month 2 blocks. And I would keep the paper in the triangles from month 1 until the blocks from months 3, 4 and 5 are added. It will help to give you some stability and the quilt will keep it's shape better. This is why I like to use the Stable Stuff rather than regular copy paper as it is a lot softer and easier to work with - and you won't get paper wrinkles.

Rosemary... I love your technique for clipping curves. I have never heard of clipping at an angle before.

I think I did a few clips here and there - it is usually obvious where a clip is needed as the seam will be pulling a little.

Sarah :-)

Comment

Rosemary, thank you for the lesson in clipping curves. I have been sewing garments for 50 years, and did not know to clip the curves at an angle. I have cut v-shapes out to make things smoother in a tighter curve. I guess that is probably the same principle. It is always nice to learn new things.

Comment

I did clip my curves, but the way Rosemary showed that we shouldn't! And I clipped before stitching. It seemed to help immensely. I used LOTS of pins!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by maggieszafranski
              I did clip my curves, but the way Rosemary showed that we shouldn't! And I clipped before stitching. It seemed to help immensely. I used LOTS of pins!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois
              I wouldn't say that you shouldn't, indeed I have used perpendicular snipping and sometime it has worked nicely and sometimes it hasn't. I just mention that I have found I get a smoother finish, and I thought that I would pass on my findings for others to try for themselves. Alternatives are always good to know about :wink:
              It also works for internal curves.

Comment

Great info Rosemary! I too, have sewn for lots of years and never considered the difference in how I clipped. Just clipped. I will pay attention the next time and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

My guess is that Rosemary's diagonal clipping method works nicely because the clip is done on the bias. So the sewn line of the seam next to the clipped areas probably lays flatter than those with a perpendicular clip.

Just a guess... I have always clipped strait in. I will try to remember this and try it next time I need to clip!

Comment

I have the Buttons and Blooms kit, and have to order the 28wt thread. What were the colors used for the beautiful quilt? Enjoyed the close-up picture of it. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

I just finished putting my month 1 and month 2 together. Went together great. My suggestions may help someone. I think that those of us that have sewn garments, particularly tailored sleeves, know that the cap is always considerably larger that the hole it is being sewn into and requires NO PUCKERING!!

With the quilt sewing today, I pinned, between 15 and 18 pins per section! First match all the star points where they are suppose to be, then section by section ease and PIN. After all the pinning, I stitched around, removing pins as I went. I used a larger stitch, 3.5 on my machine. This way, if there are places that need a little adjusting, to get a pucker or pleat out, I can see to do that. Also only have to take out a little bit where the misfit is. When everything fits as it should, I will go around again with the standard stitch. Indeed I will have a couple places to adjust, but I don't think I will even have to clip anything.

I may remove the stablizer the next time, because easing would have been a little easier, but sewing slowly and pulling the pins just ahead of the needle did well.

I am surely liking the results of this project a lot. I will post a picture soon. Cynthia

Comment

I am now on month 2 and everything was going along smoothly until I put on the last border pieces of turquoise. When I pinned it up I just wasn't sure at all about the contrast. I then found a very pretty border print that I liked and tried that one. Was sure until I pinned that one up and now I am just so confused.

Please voice your opinion in you prefer the turqoise outer border or the border print? You can even say if you would prefer something else too, I won't mind. I have put so much effort in this so far I just want to be happy with it in the end.

Don't forget if you double click on a picture you can see it larger.

P.S. I embroidered using my rayon emboidery thread, 2 strands, worked well.

Comment

First of all, let me preface this by saying I struggle with color daily so my opinion probably isn't all that reliable. That being said, I really like the border print. That's the one I'd vote for...I think :?

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

I agree with Charae. The turquoise just looks out of place to me. Of course, that could change as the rest of the quilt goes together and more turquiose appears. But, at this point, I find the turquoise a bit jarring.

Nancy

Comment

When I look at your lovely center, and the appliqued centers of your Month 2 points, I see a fabric palette that is earthy and rich and warm based. I noticed that in the Month 1 star triangle parts, there is a light blueish pastel as an accent in there, which I do like. But all other colors are the earthy comfy tones.

The turquoise to me reads bright and modern, rather than earthy and rich. It is a jewel tone and seems overpowering with the rest of the colors you have used. That said, if you plan on doing more with the bright colors, it could work. Do you have a color scheme drawn out for the rest of the quilt? That might help.

The multi print is better than the turquoise because even though it is a print, it is muted and darker in tone, creating a nice frame without competing. I do like the peeks of that light blue in there, it relates to the light blue in the triangles. If you plan on using this multi print in the rest of the quilt, this might be a good choice.

JMHO!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1008 users online. 152 members and 856 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,211   Posts: 155,005   Members: 25400   Active Members: 1,518  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X