Quilting Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

• Sew a Long Using Quick and Easy Block Tool
    Here is the link to Alex’s Classroom. Scroll down to find the Kaffe Mystery Quilt:

https://thequiltshow.co...
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    I will let the powers that be know about this, thanks.
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    Yes, I was Live October 4. The link hasn’t been updated yet. Here is the video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEO...
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    No pictures of progress or finished quilts are appearing at all. Where the pictures should be, there are small boxes with...
    I'm looking for the tutorial program Alex taught using the Easy Block Tool. I never finished the quilt and would like to....
  • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
    I don’t see the facebook live video for month 10 posted on the website. I thought you were live yesterday.
  • Yes. It will be ready in a few weeks I suspect.
  • Not a “Bot”
    Submit a Ticket under HELP, below.
  • MONTH 9 — Ask Questions Here
    No photos are visible. Probably too large, resize smaller and try again.
    I’m struggling to transfer the appliqué designs so this is what I have been using. Keep your fingers crossed when put...
  • At the end of the year, December, will you have the 12 pattern months available in one download?
  • Not a “Bot”
    I am signed in but can’t watch any of the shows. The screen directs me to sign in to prove I am not a “bot”. I can’t...
  • Bright Star Quilt Kit fabric question
    I LOVE the fabrics selected for the Bright Star Quilt kit, but alas, all of the kits are now purchased. Is there any way...
    Thank your for letting me know!
    All the pattern pieces are now available. I chose to provide the background shape for the outer Fan border in Month 2. It...
    The pattern piece is under month 2 patterns. I missed it too.
    Am I correct that we do not yet have all the pattern pieces for this quilt? I was looking for the outermost piece of the...
  • Suggestion Amazing new artist
    I don’t know how to email Quilt Show but Alex please look at this artist quilter. I have never seen technique like this!...
  • No more items.

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 2 LATTICE BORDER

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 2 LATTICE BORDER

There have been some people having trouble with the foundations for the lattice border.

The foundation squares should definitely print out to 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" (unfinished size).

If they are not 2-1/2" please check your printer to make sure that it is not "scaling" your print-out.

If you are printing directly from the web site, you may try downloading the PDF to your computer, and printing it from that source.

If you still can't get it to print at exactly 2-1/2" you might want to try running your small print-out through your copier and scale it up a little, maybe 103%-110% until it measures correctly. Just be sure to check that the shape is not distorted and it is still a square.

Here are Sue's directions from the Introduction:

Guidance on Printing the Patterns Guidance on Printing the Patterns

Most of the time, printing out the patterns is easy: simply click and print. But at times, you will
    need to pay attention and make sure that your printer settings are appropriate for printing out pages
    where precision sizing is important. This will occur on those pages where applique or paper
    foundations are printed; those pages must be printed exactly to scale and not re-sized to fit on a
    page. On pages where precision matters, you will find a one-inch square on the pattern; print out
    the pattern and measure the square; if it is one inch, proceed with making the units for that month.
    If the square is smaller than one inch, then your printer has “scaled” the page to fit on the paper and
    you will have to adjust your printer settings. Here are a couple of things you can do to check or
    reset the settings on your printer.
    • Begin by clicking on “File” and “Print.” On the Print page, you should see a “Scale to Paper
    Size” line and the drop down menu for it should read “No Scaling.” If it says something other
    than that, change it to “No Scaling.”
    • If your page is still not printing out the correct size, click on “File” and “Print” and then click on
    the “Properties” button. Once there, look at the “Layout Options” – you should see “Type:
    Multiple Pages per Side” and “Pages per Side: 1” there. If you see, instead, “Reduce/Enlarge”
    or “Fit to Page,” change those options to “Type: Multiple Pages per Side” and “Pages per Side:
    1.” These settings are where most people will find a change is needed – and choosing these
    options will fix any sizing issues.
    • Some computers use different terminology than the ones I have just identified – look around on
    your computer and find similar terms – for example, your computer may use “page set-up”
    instead of “layout options.” What you want to be sure of when you are looking at your print
    settings, is that you are printing the whole page full-size and not adjusted otherwise.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Well, I just went and checked my squares. I know I check to make sure that it was printing full size but they are 2.25". Sure hope those floater strips are going to make up for this. I am half way through making the blocks. :~(

Comment

Ritzy, try using a very scant seam allowance when sewing the blocks together in groups of 4, then measure to see if your block has grown close to 4 1/2". If it has, then use your normal seam allowance to sew the groups together in strips and to add to the floaters. If not, continue using a very scant seam allowance. If you use a very scant seam allowance all of the way through you will need to use that same seam allowance when adding it to the floaters.

Comment

Good option, Annis! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Annis.

Comment

Printing from the .pdf, the blocks come out at barely over 2 1/4"unfinished size. I use a lot of .pdf files and have come to trust them.

I foolishly trusted this .pdf and cut out 120 at the printed size and made up 9 finished squares only to discover the finished blocks were 3/8" too small. Now I'm making up new squares at 2 1/2" finished size WITHOUT USING THE PAPER FOUNDATIONS AT ALL. It's easier just to sew the 4" strip between the two triangles, trim to 2 1/2"and sew them together into blocks. Great frustration to waste the nine finished blocks, but that seems to be the best solution at this point.

Comment

Margo,
              Should a one-inch test square be added to the foundation paper pattern sheet? It seems like it might have prevented some problems that are happening this month. Or perhaps as Sue edits the pattern, she could add a statement that prints out ON THE PATTERN PAGE that the patterns should measure exactly 2 1/2 inches when printed. Just a thought...

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

Hi, Just to say mine printed out exactly 2 1/2 inches and I have made up one side of the lattice and all went very well and fitted great, some times maybe the printers can be out by just a bit, I find a difference with the one at work and the one at home like this.

Also diferent measuring tapes can be under or over, I went through all of mine a few years ago and found some different, I used a ruler to work out which ones correct and threw the others away so check your tapes, just a suggestion.

Tip: what I did was a trial run when sewingthe blocks together by using a large stitch to make sure if to use a 1/4 inch or less or more, I used a 1/4 inch in the end.

Taree NSW - Australia
                My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Originally posted by gynconnie
                  Margo,
                  Should a one-inch test square be added to the foundation paper pattern sheet? It seems like it might have prevented some problems that are happening this month. Or perhaps as Sue edits the pattern, she could add a statement that prints out ON THE PATTERN PAGE that the patterns should measure exactly 2 1/2 inches when printed. Just a thought...
                  Sue and I have been weighing options to make the measurements more obvious. Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolynChapman
                    Printing from the .pdf, the blocks come out at barely over 2 1/4"unfinished size. I use a lot of .pdf files and have come to trust them.

I foolishly trusted this .pdf and cut out 120 at the printed size and made up 9 finished squares only to discover the finished blocks were 3/8" too small. Now I'm making up new squares at 2 1/2" finished size WITHOUT USING THE PAPER FOUNDATIONS AT ALL. It's easier just to sew the 4" strip between the two triangles, trim to 2 1/2"and sew them together into blocks. Great frustration to waste the nine finished blocks, but that seems to be the best solution at this point.
                    Carolyn, we are sure that the PDF is correct. It is individual printers that are causing the sizes to be incorrect.

We need to make the directions more clear about checking the size of the foundations.

Comment

Yes the PDF is certainly correct, I had no issue at all printing out the foundations at an exact 2.5" square.

Comment

My laser printer shrinks my documents. So I always use an inkjet printer if I need an exact size.

Comment

If you missed it on the Daily Blog, there is now a tutorial available in case you are having difficulty printing your foundation papers. Neither Sue nor I had anything to do with this...the typos aren't ours on this one! :roll:

learn/projects/

Comment

I finally did something right.....all of my blocks, after squaring them up, were the exact, correct size. I was so thrilled with myself. :shock: I have one side sewn together, three more to go. I love the way it is turning out. I did this quilt just because of that lattice border....I love it.

Comment

Janice I did this quilt for the Lattice border also.....he he he

Taree NSW - Australia
                              My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1478 users online. 373 members and 1105 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,245   Posts: 155,350   Members: 26125   Active Members: 1,045  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Here is the link to Alex’s Classroom. Scroll down to find the Kaffe Mystery Quilt:

https://thequiltshow.co...
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                I will let the powers that be know about this, thanks.
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                Yes, I was Live October 4. The link hasn’t been updated yet. Here is the video:
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEO...
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                No pictures of progress or finished quilts are appearing at all. Where the pictures should be, there are small boxes with...
                                I'm looking for the tutorial program Alex taught using the Easy Block Tool. I never finished the quilt and would like to....
                              • MONTH 10 BLOG is UP
                                I don’t see the facebook live video for month 10 posted on the website. I thought you were live yesterday.
                              • Yes. It will be ready in a few weeks I suspect.
                              • Not a “Bot”
                                Submit a Ticket under HELP, below.
                                No photos are visible. Probably too large, resize smaller and try again.
                                I’m struggling to transfer the appliqué designs so this is what I have been using. Keep your fingers crossed when put...
                              • At the end of the year, December, will you have the 12 pattern months available in one download?
                              • Not a “Bot”
                                I am signed in but can’t watch any of the shows. The screen directs me to sign in to prove I am not a “bot”. I can’t...
                              • Bright Star Quilt Kit fabric question
                                I LOVE the fabrics selected for the Bright Star Quilt kit, but alas, all of the kits are now purchased. Is there any way...
                              • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X