Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Starting in July as an applique sampler

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting in July as an applique sampler

I'm kind of excited. I was so inspired by Alex's classroom I decided to order the kit and join the fun. I got my kit about a week ago, but I won't be able to get to it until I finish my Hoffman Challenge (due July 23rd) and my brother-in-law's church banner. Sew, I plan to start sometime in July. I had the idea that it might be fun to make each block an applique method sampler. There are many ways to applique, and I'm thinking I could do some hand needle-turn, some raw edge applique, some turned-edge machine applique using various methods--giving me practice in all forms. I THINK I can still catch up on this, but I may be overly optimistic, but if not I can finish when I finish. In any event, it is a beautiful quilt and I'm glad I got the kit because I love the fabrics, it's saves so much time, and it's the perfect colors for my bedroom. Cheers, BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
    Betty Jo

You can do this, BJ!! Sue's directions are great! I give different methods in my Webshots albums and Alex is doing her super video tutes!

Have fun with it!

http://community.webshots.com/user/t...host=community

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

That is a very, very cool idea BJ! Good on ya! Have fun with it.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

How glad I was to see BJs idea as I am already doing that and quilting each block differently so it becomes an applique [and] quilting sampler. I'm having alot of fun so far. We'll see how the border goes though. I love a challenge
        Pat

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Pat, Great idea on adding the quilting sampler part, but I am SUCH a non-traditional quilter that I will be challenged just to get it quilted in some reasonably good way. My dear daughter-in-law (OriNebula) said I might borrow her long arm to quilt it when it's done. That would give me a chance to try out the long arm too. She has a nice big Gammill. I look forward to seeing your BOM. I'll show you mine someday in 2011 probably. Cheers. BJ

Betty Jo

Comment

Hi Betty Jo, I'm just getting starting, too, though I'm doing mine all needleturn applique. And, like you, Hugs & Kisses is on hold until I complete my Hoffman challenge quilt -- I'm hoping I can make it in time for that deadline! It will be interesting to hear which form of applique you finally decide is best for you. Keep us posted! Best wishes, Robin

Comment

Robin,

Cool! I will be interested to see your Hoffman challenge and we can encourage each other and other late starters on the BOM. Cheers, BJ

Betty Jo

Comment

Hi BJ, I just looked at the quilts in your profile -- they're lovely!! I especially like the two you've made for the Hoffman challenge. Did the 2009 one travel with their exhibits, too? It should have! This will be my first entry into the Hoffman challenge, but I saw one batch of last year's quilts at the Ogallala Quilt Show in Dimmit,Texas, in April -- wonderfully inspiring! I've got my design worked out and start sewing today! Oh boy!! Robin

Comment

Robin, Yes, my 2009 traveled also. It's so much fun when it happens. Good luck on yours!

Betty Jo

Comment

BJ, I have a friend who is also working on her entry for the Hoffman. I have seen it coming along so hope to attach more names to the other pieces. Valeta had her last wall hanging in the Paducah April AQS show and it is now in the quilt museum as it took Best of Show. I am so tickled to personally know someone who has a piece there. I quilt but do not do the challenges. You that do just 'rock' as we see such inspiration at the displays.

Comment

Would that be Valeta Hensley? I love her Fashionable Ladies of the 20s. My my, competition is always very tough. :shock: My dream is to win a ribbon or two or three or so some day---really hard to do with such wonderful quality quilters out there. I think you should convince Valeta to become a TQS member if she isn't already and share in the fun. :lol: :lol:

Betty Jo

Comment

Yes, that is Valeta. Isn't she great at hand applique. She is in my quilt guild as well as TAS(applique society) group. They live near the town where my FIL used to live and are also good Square Dance friends of my next door neighbors. She is so nice.

Comment

Well, I didn't get started in July, but I did get started today. I got my fabrics all washed, ironed, and month one printed out. I'm excited...talk about starting late! LOL Anyway, I'm looking forward to this project. Cheers, BJ

Betty Jo

Comment

P.S. Since I am making this an applique techniques sampler, I thought I'd let you know that I will use Margo's techniques for block one.

Betty Jo

Comment

Okay, I have made a good start...got the leaves and vines on the January block. I thought I'd finish today, but it's taken me all day to get this far. I made the vines using the bias strip maker (Margo demos it with her method for block one)--gee that is fun and quick and easy--and freezer paper turned edge leaves, from Alex's demo, and glued them down with washable children's glue. Looks good so far. My leaf points aren't as nice as I'd like. This is, afterall, my first ever traditional quilt. Waaay out of my comfort zone.

Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1347 users online. 263 members and 1084 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,499  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X