Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 7 — Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 7 — Show Your Progress Here

Please use this TOPIC to show your progress.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

I just finished April’s log cabin blocks, so plan to do embellishing and appliqué hand in hand. Wanted to share some threads I like to use. The straw silk is a favorite as well as silk ribbon. They are both beautiful for stems. Thinking my flowers will be a mix of cotton and wool appliqué. I tend to design and embellish on the fly so no idea where this will turn out. I’ll also be using my ever growing stash of Eleganza threads from Sue Spargo.

For those new to hand embroidery, the most important thing to remember is slow down and enjoy the process!

ETA: Added photo on how this first flower turned out. May add more embellishing, but it’s a start. On to more!
    Last edited by Carole B.; 06-30-2024, 05:42 PM.
    Carole Berry

Comment

• lholzhu commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, enjoy the process. We have done appliqué and now to another technique to enjoy. A wonderful quilt with so much. It also will be each person’s own creation.

• Janet commented
      Editing a comment
      Your work is amazing and such an inspiration.

I enjoyed the embroidery. Thanks to Alex Anderson and this project I have been doing embroidery for the first time in many years.
    JET

Comment

Enjoying the hand embroidery on my log cabin borders. Using size 12 pearl cotton doubled and chenille needles. Easy to thread and very sharp!
      Sally Gould Wright

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Your work looks great, Sally!

One side down. The majority of my embellishing is within the flowers. Will most likely add more later on. Click on photos to see full view.
      Carole Berry

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        A-Ma-Zing! So much work. You are a Wonder Woman!

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Fabulous embroidery Carole. The details are so interesting. What is the name of the stitch you
        used to do the cone on the cone flower. I could stare at your work for hours and not get bored.
        Thanks for posting your pics. It is so inspirational. HelenW

Thanks, Barbara and Helen! The stitch on the cone flower is call a corded brussels stitch. Similar to a open buttonhole stitch, but with a cord across each row that you catch. It’s a great filler!
      Carole Berry

Comment

Comment

• Connie H. commented
          Editing a comment
          This is where I am right now, but wondering if it would look ok to leave the corner flower blocks empty. Would love to get thoughts or suggestions.

• Barbara B. commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the blocks and the colors are so vibrant. To my eye the corners look lonely and could use something. Perhaps a heart shape?

• Connie H. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Barbara! Very helpful.

Connie, I just love your quilt. I worked up a couple ideas in EQ8 of what I would
        consider if it was my quilt. I like repeats in a quilt for a calming effect and it kind of
        catches your eye. One idea would be to make a ring using the out side border
        pattern. Another would be to take the 8 point star in the middle and make
        a star block. Use the background fabric you used for your fabulous applique
        as the background for the star. Are you creating each applique block or taking
        ideas from other patterns you have? It all looks so beautiful. HelenW

Comment

I'm considering changing the size of this project. Here's a pic of the new design. Not sure what to do in the corners -- would appreciate feedback on design. First try at scrappy and quite frankly some of the blocks are not to my liking. I've completed 10 of each block and need to make three more of the white to finish the last corner. Then I'll tackle the border. Any thoughts?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              I'm considering changing the size of this project. Here's a pic of the new design. Not sure what to do in the corners -- would appreciate feedback on design. First try at scrappy and quite frankly some of the blocks are not to my liking. I've completed 10 of each block and need to make three more of the white to finish the last corner. Then I'll tackle the border. Any thoughts?
              Jennifer C, It is so fun when quilters ask for suggestions. I have a hard time making myself use my EQ8 on a regular
              basis and I tend to forget the process. So I took a screenshot of your quilt and worked out on pieced idea and one
              applique idea. It might get your mind think how you could use something similar. For the pieced I was repeating the center
              since you have the 8 inch blocks it would be easy to do. Just don't make the 4th corner. For applique I like things that
              wrap the corner. I just took a predesigned block from EQ8 and plugged it in. It lets you see if you like a wrap around.
              It could be as simple as 3 swags appliquéd on top of the log cabin blocks. HelenW

Comment

reply to Helen W -- Thanks for the suggestion I was thinking of doing applique in the corners -- the vining is an excellent choice and I also think if I want the border to stand out (which I love) I should be more subtle with the applique/embroidery work. Was also thinking about adding narrow border between -- it just lacks symmetry at this point -- now I feel like a quilt designer -- lol -- I truly believe a perfect quilt is a finished quilt so I'll press on and share as I go thru the process.
                Thanks again.

Jennifer

Comment

Half done
                  Susan Skeel
                  Des Moines Iowa

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1890 users online. 348 members and 1542 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,225   Posts: 155,159   Members: 25567   Active Members: 1,236  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                  X