Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 2 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 2 -- Ask Questions Here

Please use this TOPIC to ask questions about Month 2.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

If using Print & Fuse, for the crescent, should the fuseable be made without the upper curve seam allowance so that the edge can be more easliy turned?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      That is correct. I would make a template without seam allowance on the upper curved edge to cut the PNPFL, or freezer paper when doing that for turned edge machine applique. I will explain all of this Friday February 2, 2024 in the LIVE.

Hi Barbara. I have just been looking through the Month 2 information and noticed that the G printed template and the orange plastic template don't look the same on the pointed end. The printed one doesn't appear to come to a point where as the plastic one does seem to have a definite point. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      The printed G template is slightly different from the acrylic one. While I don’t know why this is, it won’t make much difference. There will be about 1/16” more of G on both sides of the point with the paper template, hardly measurable. As long as the blocks are 8.5” with seam allowance and all are about the same, the design will work.

My template kit is missing the G piece., I have filed a ticket but this is very disappointing.

Comment

• Ann S. commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops.... it have found G. Sorry to have created a stir!

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      That is funny because in an interview online someone asked Jen why she used orange for her
      templates and she said because she was always losing the clear ones and the orange is bright
      and easy to see. HelenW

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      I felt certain you would find it. Thanks for the update.

Where can I find the two shapes to make the Handle and background templates for when i sew two fans together to eliminate the middle seam?
    Robin Hessefort
    Waunakee,Wisconsin

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      The handle is in Month 1 as a quarter circle. You have to draw your own half circle. The background template isn’t scheduled to be released until much later in the year but I am working on that.

I have watched your live video on the alternative way to do the 9 patch where you cut away the excess instead of using the template. I bought the kit and I am wondering if doing it the alternate method will create a fabric shortage. I am planning on hand stitching the whole quilt right now. Thank you!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      No, there is enough fabric in the Kit. And if you run out of a favorite add something else from your stash—scrappy is easy to add to.

• commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! Thank you! I did a test run of the center block with my own fabric just to make sure I had the template/hand sewing skills warmed up.
      Vicki, Texas

Is there an easy way to remove the paper from the templates?

Comment

• Judith A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Scratching the paper lightly with a pin works for me.

I figured out the templates just didn't want to scratch them, I used a needle to score them and the paper peeled off easily. Did everyone press all the fabric? I started pressing tonight. Lot's of fabric. Show with Sally Collins (1602) was great!!

Comment

Good morning. I’m cutting out squares and rectangles for the block. Then I realize I need to cut for the H… what are the gross measurements? You mentioned go bigger on the outside edge. Your blog didn’t address the measurements.. did you mention yesterday on the video. Thanks for all your continued help. I appreciate it!
      Elizabeth Anderson
      Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        I drew 2-3 H shapes on a variety of fabrics until I had 80 of them. If you want to cut individual rectangles before cutting them to size, make them 9” x 2.5”. Using the Kit, be sure to cut on the lengthwise grain,
        the fat eighths are 9” wide so it is easy to do. Cutting 2.5” high allows for extra on the outside edge so you can trim to perfection.

My blog for Month 2 shows and mentions that I added extra to the outside edge. It also explains in detail all I showed on the LIVE about Block 1:

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/20...l-month-2.html
        Last edited by Barbara B.; 02-03-2024, 08:07 AM.

Question for Barbara - Month 2. Machine appliqué crescents: When you say to “Cut out 4 Crescents including the seam allowance on the top curve. ”….and the picture shows the Piece and Fuse dropped down from the top edge of the fabric/crescent…..giving a “unstabilized seam allowance”to fold down. I’m concluding the curve with the seam allowance matches where we fold down to. Right?
      Vesta

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. The PNPFL was cut without the curved edge seam allowance. The crescent shape of fabric is cut with the seam allowance. I turned the fabric over onto the PNPFL and glued it in place. This gives a finished fabric edge for the appliqué stitches.

When looking at Jen's directions it looks pretty straight forward to make the block as written. What is the benefit of using the uneven 9 patch block rather than the templates? Also, can't you machine sew the H block to complete the block?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Personal preference and speed of making the block. Much faster to cut rectangles and appliqué crescents on top for me. Do whichever method you prefer.
        Last edited by Barbara B.; 02-03-2024, 05:18 PM.

I wasn’t sure I was posing the question clearly—Jens instructions are for hand sewing will it be more difficult to achieve a good outcome if you try to machine stitch the block.? I’m pretty good at machine piecing but my appliqué attempts so far have been pretty sad — puckering & uneven seams —your directions include both machine & appliqué so I guess I’ll have to try & sample the methods that work for me. I appreciate all your work. I’m feeling overwhelmed

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Please don’t feel overwhelmed. This is a good project to improve your skills and find the best way for you. With only 20 of these blocks to make in the entire year, there is no rush to get them all done right now. I have to work ahead so I can write the blogs and do the videos.

It doesn’t matter if you machine or hand piece, machine or hand appliqué. If you are satisfied with your results it’s good. No one will be able to tell which you did when the quilt is finished. I do both hand and machine, I call it the “Hybrid method”.

To improve hand appliqué, look at the many shows here on the topic. Use the SEARCH box at the top of each page to find them.
        Last edited by Barbara B.; 02-04-2024, 07:59 AM.

Thanks Barbara I just looked at Becky Goldsmiths video on preparing for machine appliqué. I’m feeling encouraged at least to start the block — lol — yes I was getting ahead of myself so I’ll breathe relax & enjoy the process which is why I quilt! You are great, girl.

Comment

Can you give out the paper piecing pattern you used to make the fans as a download?

Comment

Originally posted by JoanDeArc View Post
          Can you give out the paper piecing pattern you used to make the fans as a download?
          Ann, Barbara already put them with the other pattern downloads for month 2. HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2110 users online. 224 members and 1886 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
          X