Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Show Us Your Fabrics

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been following the BOM's for a couple of years but unable to do them due the family commitments. I retired last year so very eager to join in this year. Several years ago I bought some Jen Kingwell fabrics and have been waiting for the right quilt to use them. I'm thinking of cutting 2 of the A diamond together with the black line in the fabric separating them, hoping this will reduce the seam bulk too.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Give that a try. If it works you cut out 4 seams.

I absolutely LOVE Jen Kingwell's lollie fabrics! I absolutely LOVE Jen Kingwell! I was lucky enough to be able to attend a 3-day class with her last year. When I saw this was going to be the BOM for TQS this year, I knew I'd be jumping in! I have a few of the lollies left and will definitely be including them.

Comment

These are two fabrics I'm considering for the background and the little fan "handles". Top is tiny rosebuds and the bottom one is stylised gypsophila (or baby's breath, if you prefer). I'm also considering stitching the star and its fans, cutting the background as one large piece, say 17 1/2" square, and appliqueing the completed star/fans on to that. I would then trim away fabric under the centre piecing and then trim back the centre to 16 1/2" unfinished. These fabrics are non-directional, so I think either will work quite well. My first love is needle-turn applique and I rather think it will be a lot easier than joining all those curves by machine or hand. Just a thought.
      Last edited by Marilyn M.; 01-01-2024, 05:49 PM.
      Marilyn

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Since you love needle turn appliqué that would be the easiest way to make the center. You are correct in starting with a larger background square, then “trimming to perfection” after the Star and fans are sewn in place. Go for it.

Either of those backgrounds would work, just depends which looks better with your Star and fans.
        Last edited by Barbara B.; 01-01-2024, 08:28 PM.

• Marilyn M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Barbara B....thank you so much for your comments. I'm grateful for your experienced and professional opinion.

I have been trying to decide what I was going to do with this BOM, but after looking at Month 1 instructions, watching the Quilt Show with Jen Kingwell yesterday (very, very helpful), and Barbara's blog and (not-so) live show, it finally came together! I am going to learn a new skill and hand piece a lot of it, but with some machine piecing. I am using Lori Holt's 30's reproduction fabrics and the Quilt Show star fabric as the background for the center and around the outer border. I am so excited!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Great palette of fabric

Spent most of New Year's Day going through my stash trying to figure out what to use. Finally decided to use my big box of Kansas Troubles fabrics. My daughter (Kyla V.) and I have had fun playing with fabrics most of today. Both of us are going rogue and using reproductions. What an adventure this will be. Not sure if I need to add anything else?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t tell you how much I love this set of fabrics! I will be excited to see your progress.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      I have been following the BOM's for a couple of years but unable to do them due the family commitments. I retired last year so very eager to join in this year. Several years ago I bought some Jen Kingwell fabrics and have been waiting for the right quilt to use them. I'm thinking of cutting 2 of the A diamond together with the black line in the fabric separating them, hoping this will reduce the seam bulk too.
      Sheridan D, Jen used your idea in the you tube video on the Marshall quilt. You google Quiltmania you tube channel, go to playlist
      and find Jen's Mystery quilt 2019. It is in part 1 about 16 minutes in. Sonia put me onto Jen's videos on that you tube channel.
      HelenW
      CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE

Comment

Here are my chosen fabrics. Your thoughts are welcome.

Kathy Mohan

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        These are lovely. For the log cabin blocks, if you want that border light enough for the appliques and embroidery to show you will need lots more light/low volume prints. The Kit has 3 yards of these very light fabrics.

• Kathy M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your comment. I will shop for some light/low volume prints.

Hi, I’d appreciate some feedback on my fabrics which are all ombré, both plain and some with gold flecks. I don’t want the quilt to look like a child’s rainbow quilt, so I was thinking of adding some of the lighter and darker tones of the ombré. I have whites for the log cabins. My concern is that Jen Kingwell’s quilt contains mostly midvalue colors. Does this matter?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ; 01-04-2024, 07:24 PM. Reason: .

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Photos are too large. Delete them, resize smaller and try again. Complete info on this is on the Forum first page of BOM 2024

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        I think your fabrics will be beautiful for this quilt. Depending how light the fabric gets you might be able to mix the lightest part in with the whites for the log
        cabins. I am waiting for some pastels that I order
        for the log cabins. HelenW

Work in progress. I’m digging through my very unorganized scraps and just going with whatever suits me in the moment. After watching the YouTube video of Freddy Moran and how she chooses fabric, I decided to just do it. I’m keeping the backgrounds consistent within each block.

Comment

This is such a gorgeous project. Here is a photo of my inspiration for the color scheme - a cross stitch piece titled "Woman in a Field of Flowers 1" full coverage cross stitch pattern by Eder Jose Rosa. Charted by Stitches Sew Beautiful, LLC. Copyright 2023. And my associated fabric pull !

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          What a fabulous cross stitch pattern. Makes me want to start up cross stitch. I recognize a lot of Tula
          in your choices. Should be beautiful. Now you just need the low volume background/log cabin fabrics. Barbara says the kit has about 3 yards of low volume. Be sure to post progress pictures.
          HelenW

Not very neatly presented, but I went into my stash and decided to use my big collection of blue and white with a touch of yellow.
        Sally Gould Wright

Comment

Ok here’s my pile! I kept saying “sweet” as I want my quilt to look very sweet when done. Lots of pinks and pastels more like spring.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1977 users online. 295 members and 1682 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25612   Active Members: 1,198  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
          X