Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 8 -- Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe I am caught up! This has been the hardest thing I have ever tried. It's my first try at need turn appliqué and sorry to say but I don't like doing this. I find the process frustrating as my work doesn't look neat. There are so many mistakes that I have made with this quilt but I am learning what not to do the next time I attempt something like this. For instance, I mistakenly used my grey marker for sewing placement, then had to move things around and now the grey line is visible. I don't know how to remove it. Should have used a chalk pencil. Oh well, I guess lesson learned. I also decided to do the large vine flowers using Karen Kay Buckley's method and heat resistant template plastic and I am so much happier with the results than my terrible needle turned appliquéd tulip flowers. I feel like I am cheating by doing it this way but it is less frustrating for me. . Only wish I had seen the cleaver way to do the petal flower ; I redid one 4 times and it still looks wonky!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      You are not cheating by using a method other than what the designer does. There are lots of ways to appliqué. Once you find the method you enjoy using you can do a world of new quilts. Learning new techniques gives you more tools in your tool belt.

• Carol G. commented
      Editing a comment
      Paola - I have been using the 'prepared edge' method of applique. Using the heat resistant template plastic, I paint starch on the edges & iron them under. I tried needle turned & was getting frustrated. You're not cheating at all! Plus I am machine sewing my vines down. Multiple methods in 1 quilt

You are further ahead than I am. But halfway thru the month, I have 2 borders done. I guess that means I'm on track

Appliqué pieces pinned in place and ready to stitch.
    Deb B
    Minnesota

Comment

I have been doing more finished edge work. And I have made different leaves that are easier for me.
      JET

Comment

My progress. I have learned I manage prepared applique better than needle turn applique. But I keep trying. With that said I am not a fan of tulips, so I decided to use different flowers. I found my inspiration from a quilt my Granny made when she was pregnant with my Daddy in 1932. The quilt pattern came out in the local newspaper under the name of Nancy Page Quilt Club. The name of the quilt was, Garden Bouquet.
        I have loved this learning adventure and I have enjoyed seeing all your quilts!
        Sandie T.

Comment

I’m enjoying another great block of the month quilt. I had to get this months finished between grandchildren visits and a new grandson! I decided to fussy cut my flowers putting in some animals found in tula’s fabric!

Comment

Month 8 done! It is taking shape. I liked the rounded ends of the flower inserts, so I used them. Otherwise I felt like there where too many points on all the flowers.

Comment

Month 8 is done! My littlest leaves don't have points, but I don't care. This is a learning experience for me. I am loving this BOM
              Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

I have finished this years BOM with a few of my own variations.
                I changed out the birds, and used slightly different leaves so I could continue border appliqué. I was also able to figure out the final border and increased size from 6.5 to 9.5. I will quilt some kind of trees under the houses on the border. I am very pleased with the final outcome.

I will do Big stitch quilting something that is new to me. So far it is going well.

This will be entered in next year’s county fair. I believe it will be another WOW.
                Thanks for all the guidance and instructions from designer and Barbara!

Linda H
                Happy Quilting 

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It looks good. I like your fabric choices.

Here is a glimpse of my month 8. I got frustrated with needle turn applique, just couldn't get the points to look good so I used Hugs n Kisses Applique paper to create prepared applique pieces. Hoping it will turn out okay.

Comment

Originally posted by lholzhu View Post
                  I have finished this years BOM with a few of my own variations.
                  I changed out the birds, and used slightly different leaves so I could continue border appliqué. I was also able to figure out the final border and increased size from 6.5 to 9.5. I will quilt some kind of trees under the houses on the border. I am very pleased with the final outcome.

I will do Big stitch quilting something that is new to me. So far it is going well.

This will be entered in next year’s county fair. I believe it will be another WOW.
                  Thanks for all the guidance and instructions from designer and Barbara!

lholzhu, Your quilt is beautiful. Love the idea of big stitch quilting by hand. I would love to see some pictures
                  and maybe a short summary of how you set it up and do it. If you have any resources that you have used
                  I would love for you to share them. I may follow in your steps and do big stitch if I can figure it out. Wish my
                  top was finished. I have been working on other projects because I always get burned out when it gets to the last few
                  months on a BOM. What is your first name. I am HelenW

Comment

https://thequiltshow.com/forum/block...212#post897212

Hi Helen,
                    I began with Aunt Em’s website- Big Stitch quilting and ordered her preferred supplies.
                    1. Dritz Gold-eye Big Stitch quilting needles, size 5 in glass case of 12.
                    2. Sulky 712-33 spring collection crossroads cotton petites 12 wt. 10 pack of colors that were same as in my quilt.
                    3. bees wax, but have not used it,

I have also watched Becky Goldsmith YouTube on big stitching.

I have stitched the center, one big flower and the smaller circle flowers. I love the tread. The needles are longer and so quilting it a bit different and I have used a thimble and not used one. I am stitching about 1/8 away from appliqué edge as the stitching and colors can been seen better.

I think I prefer more of a running stitch. I am using wool batting. So far I am liking it. I do like my thread colors as they are not too bold but softer. Will try to stay off appliqué unless larger pieces.

Hope that helps.

Linda
                    Linda H
                    Happy Quilting 

Comment

As far as I can go with the four sides. Unfortunately, I ran out of tangerine Fairy Frost for the vine flowers, was unable to source it here in Australia but, luckily, I found it in the U.S. As a consequence, I'm waiting, waiting, waiting......... Hope it arrives soon!
                      Marilyn

Comment

Originally posted by lholzhu View Post
                        https://thequiltshow.com/forum/block...212#post897212

Hi Helen,
                        I began with Aunt Em’s website- Big Stitch quilting and ordered her preferred supplies.
                        1. Dritz Gold-eye Big Stitch quilting needles, size 5 in glass case of 12.
                        2. Sulky 712-33 spring collection crossroads cotton petites 12 wt. 10 pack of colors that were same as in my quilt.
                        3. bees wax, but have not used it,

I have also watched Becky Goldsmith YouTube on big stitching.

I have stitched the center, one big flower and the smaller circle flowers. I love the tread. The needles are longer and so quilting it a bit different and I have used a thimble and not used one. I am stitching about 1/8 away from appliqué edge as the stitching and colors can been seen better.

I think I prefer more of a running stitch. I am using wool batting. So far I am liking it. I do like my thread colors as they are not too bold but softer. Will try to stay off appliqué unless larger pieces.

Hope that helps.

Linda
                        Linda, Thank you so much for the quick response. I will definitely check out both Aunt Em and Becky Goldsmith. I have been using
                        Alison Glass Eleaganza size 8 pearl cotton and DMC 6 strand for my twisted thread edge stitching on the applique. I was thinking about just
                        using a black size 8 in the background area. There is so much going on already. I do have threads that match most of my
                        flannel fabrics. You did not mention using a hoop, so I assume you don't. Do you have a plan for how to stitch the background fabric.
                        You mentioned echo stitching the shapes. What about the other areas that are too big to just leave unquilted.
                        Since my quilt top still has a lot left to do, I will be learning about Big Stitch because it sounds like a fun thing to do.
                        Here is a picture of my Homeward Bound After Dark so far. HelenW

Comment

https://thequiltshow.com/forum/block...218#post897218

I do not use a hoop. I have spray basted and pinned in areas so it is pretty secure.
                          So far my center open areas are 1-2 inches so I am ok with that. I might do a meandering possibly with the treads or maybe free motion on a sit down. We will see when I get to the bird borders. I also have thought about just quilting in a shape (leaf, flower or such, Would probably make some templates for those. (I did the copy via light box for this BOM)

Your quilt is outstanding. I remember your different quilts from previous BOM. I have too much fabric to get into wools and others. My mom is trying to get me to rug hook, that also is wonderful but also going down the rabbit hole. I sure enjoy these BOM’s and the different designers. I am also going to do Alex’s tie class and washing some of my father-in-law ties a grabbed for a project.

Happy Quilting
                          Linda H
                          Happy Quilting 

Comment

Originally posted by Fouangel View Post
                            Here is a glimpse of my month 8. I got frustrated with needle turn applique, just couldn't get the points to look good so I used Hugs n Kisses Applique paper to create prepared applique pieces. Hoping it will turn out okay.
                            Angela - I think your leaves look great. I've been doing prepared edge applique, & my tiny leaves have pretty blunt tips!
                            Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1976 users online. 189 members and 1787 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X