Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 7 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbara, I know you recommended cutting the wide borders a bit wider to allow for shrinkage and raveling. Do you think we should also cut the borders a bit longer as well? Thanks so much for all of your tips.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      You could cut them an inch longer if you like. Just be certain to trim them to the correct size once all the appliqué is done.

While working on the boarders I was thinking about adding the 3 stems underneath the large circle, would this be a problem? What size do I cut them?

Comment

Hi Barbara. Just watched your recorded Facebook Live and read your blog. Lots of great advice and tips - thank you. My question is regarding the small circle that sits on top of the petals. I don't think any template was provided for that, can you tell me what diameter you made your little circle? Thank you.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        I made mine 3/4”.

I spent the past 2 days appliqué the centers and the circles on the tabs. I will keep them in this form until time to add them.

Today was borders. I decided to cut my borders 9.5”. I also decided not to add the stars+ squares until finished with appliqués. I will hang the extra stem length like the longer borders.

Things I learned:
      1. Put the entire pages for the placement together. (For some reason I only did the center, marked it and latter found out it was not correct.

2. Someone had mentioned about positioning the circle. I did not quite understand that, but now I do. I measured up 1 3/4 from the center of the border fabric, small mark and then place the bottom edge of the center of the circle template at that point and went from there. DO NOT a center this template in center of the fabric, it won’t work and allow the rest of the template stems and such fit.

3. I have marked on my paper the additional amount of unattached stems to keep loose until later.

I also kept my top fabric edge straight with a line on my cutting mat. It is easy for that to move and template tracing can get a-skewed.

4. In the corner I wrote position of star blocks for future on the excess fabric area.

Refer to the picture of the quilt to make sure your vines are going the right direction before you trace.

5. I did use the fabric stabilizer solution, works great and fabric is stiff. We will see about fabric fraying.

Now on to appliquéing. I will do one border at a time so as not to get too
      Linda H
      Happy Quilting 

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        All excellent advice!

• Azenath W. commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t understand your #2 point. Would you recall what you did? Are you talking about the center large circle?

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Hi Barbara. Just watched your recorded Facebook Live and read your blog. Lots of great advice and tips - thank you. My question is regarding the small circle that sits on top of the petals. I don't think any template was provided for that, can you tell me what diameter you made your little circle? Thank you.
      I made mine 3/4” .
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by huntforfun View Post
        While working on the boarders I was thinking about adding the 3 stems underneath the large circle, would this be a problem? What size do I cut them?
        I addressed this in the Month 7 blog and Live. All stems are added before the vines or any appliqué is done. See the blog for photos. Cut them based on the lines drawn on the pattern.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

When referring to the left and right sides - is it the left side facing the quilt? Seriously the instructions for the quilt are confusing to me sometimes.
          Ann

Comment

When referring to the left and right sides - is it the left side facing the quilt? Seriously the instructions for the quilt are confusing to me sometimes.
            When looking at a border, the left is on the left, the right on the right. Compare the patterns to the quilt to see how the vines come out from the center on each side.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

I’m wanting to cut borders a tad longer, right now if I was to cut off selvedges it measures 43 inches. Required length is 42.5”
              Would this be sufficient or will it look off if I sew additional length?

Comment

• randi b. commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a similar question. After washing my background fabric (not from kit), it measures 42" with the selvages. Is there a way I can piece it (1/2 in middle? at ends?) or hope that the selvages will be in the seam allowance (don't think so).
                Thank you in advance Barbara for all your detailed help with this BOM.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work on the tips, tricks and actual directions for each month. There is no way I could have gotten this far without your explanations. The videos from the designer are of no help to me at all.
              Linda G.

Comment

Originally posted by randibag View Post
                I have a similar question. After washing my background fabric (not from kit), it measures 42" with the selvages. Is there a way I can piece it (1/2 in middle? at ends?) or hope that the selvages will be in the seam allowance (don't think so).
                Thank you in advance Barbara for all your detailed help with this BOM.
                Yes, you can piece it, with a seam in the center—most of the center is covered by the circles/tabs/leaves. If you have plenty of fabric, just cut two halves for the long borders. If fabric is limited, you could add a 2” piece in the center of those borders. That will mean two seams, but they shouldn’t be noticeable.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

I’m wanting to cut borders a tad longer, right now if I was to cut off selvedges it measures 43 inches. Required length is 42.5”
                  Would this be sufficient or will it look off if I sew additional length?
                  The two long borders need to be 42.5” after appliqué is done. Sounds like you are fine if they are 43” WITHOUT selvedges.
                  Barbara Black
                  Huntsville AL

Comment

Barbara - you have so much patience with us with all our questions!

I just want to say to all please read the Month 7 instructions several times. The length of the stems are in there. The smallest circle template is on the same page as the other circles, tabs & petal templates. I have read Barbara's blog multiple times. Her pictures helped me get it in my head that I need to applique the short stems & the vines before I applique the big circle on the background. And actually the tabs get appliqued before the big circle.

I have decided that I am going to work on 1 border first & see how that goes. I'm not using the kit, but I am getting better at deciding on which fabrics to use a lot faster LOL
                    Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you, Carol. A lot of time goes into writing the blog, starting with taking photos as I am making each month. I am glad it is helpful. And, yes, reading the instructions and watching the videos is important.

• NinaMarie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah know I was going to do each piece on all four assembly line fashion - but I think you got the right of it Carol - do one side completely - work out the kinks and THEN do the others. Got my bias stems made - cut the fabric for the borders - ready to start appliqueing tonight!

I’m starting on the border. When I taped pages together, the length measured around 46”. But the longest side is only 42 1/2”. Did I tape them wrong? If not, where should I remove the excess length?

Comment

I’m starting on the border. When I taped pages together, the length measured around 46”. But the longest side is only 42 1/2”. Did I tape them wrong? If not, where should I remove the excess length?
                      Did you check the 1" scale box? You don't tape all six pages together--there is a left side and a right side. And the star/square adds 8" more to the top and bottom borders.
                      Did you watch both the Month 7 video AND show #3201 where Sarah shows how to join the pattern pages for the vine placement? And the Month 7 blog where I have photos of the patterns.
                      Barbara Black
                      Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1944 users online. 165 members and 1779 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X