Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 7 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 7 -- Ask Questions Here

Please use this TOPIC to ask questions.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

All I want to convey my gratitude, without your very valuable instructions and the tools to use I don't think I would ever attempt to make this quilt . I was totally lost
    So thank you again

Comment

Thank you for the wonderful video today Barbara! My question is about the length of the stems. My stems are not long enough to go the length of the pattern (From the center circle to the right (or left) for the 8 longer stems) They are just a little short. What is the best way to join them together? I do have extra fabric I bought so if I cut the fabric wrong for the stems I can re-cut the correct way. I have 1/2 yard of each color extra. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!
      Angie

Comment

Originally posted by AlteredAngie View Post
        Thank you for the wonderful video today Barbara! My question is about the length of the stems. My stems are not long enough to go the length of the pattern (From the center circle to the right (or left) for the 8 longer stems) They are just a little short. What is the best way to join them together? I do have extra fabric I bought so if I cut the fabric wrong for the stems I can re-cut the correct way. I have 1/2 yard of each color extra. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!
        Angie
        You can join them with a diagonal seam—cut on a 45 degree angle. Press the seam open. Use thread that matches the vine so it isn’t visible on the front. The 1/4” vine is so narrow the seam won’t be visible from 3 feet away.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

How many total inch of bias is needed for stems and vines?
          Susan Skeel
          Des Moines Iowa

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            The pattern says 8 yards.

• NinaMarie commented
            Editing a comment
            Nina mentally does a quick calculation that 8 yds is 288 inches. After a quick groan, she figures she'll finally get Sarah's Bias stem method down by the end.

What is the space from the bottom seam line to the bottom of the center circle?

Comment

Hi Barbara, thank you for all your great advice. I would not get through this quilt without it. My question is do I have enough of the bakcground fabric in the kit, to be making larger cut pieces for the Month 7 borders. I do not want to get to the last border and run out. Thanks Ann

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, you can safely cut these borders 9” vs. 8.5”.

Hi Barbara and all,
            I am behind, now working on month 4 so this question is about the center section. I must have made a mistake somewhere. I cannot join the three sections together as I cannot get my machine to sew through the stems connected to the star point units. I have changed the needle and I have the walking foot engaged. I have already ended up with a hole in one fabric. I sewed from one side and then the other, but I have at least a quarter inch that is unsewn at each stem. I went through the questions and it doesn't appear that anyone is having this problem, so I think I must have mad a mistake in my original construction. But any suggestions for what to do now? Hand sewing? I don't know if I can get a needle through the layers by hand either. And thank you so much for the the great instruction and helpful suggestions from everyone.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m sorry, Karen, I don’t understand your issue. Is there too much bulk? Please post a photo to show what is happening.

• Azenath W. commented
              Editing a comment
              Karen,
              I learned a trick from Just Get It Done Quilts, Karen Brown.
              Whenever you are getting close to a bulky area, lift up the presser foot and place a 2.5" square of fabric folded half then half again, under the presser foot. This allows the presser foot to be same height as the bulk. Move the folded square as needed closer to the bulk if needed. I tried it and worked nice. Now I keep this 2.5" square next to my sewing machine.

• Karen commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Azenath and Helen and Barbara for the advice on sewing through bulky seams. I am ready for the next one! Karen

Originally posted by Teresa987 View Post
            What is the space from the bottom seam line to the bottom of the center circle?
            As the pattern does not provide this information. I made mine 1/2” — this means the bottom of the circle is 3/4” from the raw edge of the border, once it is really 8.5” wide including seam allowance.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

HI Barbara,
              Here are photos--with seam to one side and from front so you can see the intersection that I cannot sew through. I have tried to sew with seam open and pressed to one side and cannot get the foot over the bulk of the stem. I used the Clover stem maker for 1/4 inch. If I sew below the intersection to avoid going through the stem, the seam allowance is way off. I am not sure the photos are working. Will try again if not.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                Editing a comment
                No photos. They may be too big, resize smaller to try again.

I know the seam needs to be adjusted from 1/4 to less than that to be just right, but that isn't the issue. I just can't get my machine to sew through the stem where it meets the purple star angle. I am worried that I will continue to have this problem with other stem sections joined with other pieces. Maybe smaller applique stitches contributed to the thickness? I haven't done machine applique before.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                Editing a comment
                HelenW gave good advice. Try a size 90 needle, I use Titanium Topstitch needles. I did not have this problem, however, my stems are cut 3/4” wide and folded in thirds so are only two layers. If you have more layers, that adds more bulk. Then there is the two star points and the cabin border that adds more.

Oops, maybe my larger applique stitches contributed to the problem?

Comment

• Karen commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Barbara,
                Never mind my question. I have managed to get enough stitches through the thickness by hand that I think it will hold. It is a tad uneven, but maybe the lovely pattern and eventual quilting will distract!

• Barbara B. commented
                Editing a comment
                It probably did. Those stitches look thick. What size thread did you use? I use 60 or 80 wt, depending on the color I want.

I had too much fabric in center so I trimmed off tips
              Susan Skeel
              Des Moines Iowa

Comment

Originally posted by gradyk View Post
                I know the seam needs to be adjusted from 1/4 to less than that to be just right, but that isn't the issue. I just can't get my machine to sew through the stem where it meets the purple star angle. I am worried that I will continue to have this problem with other stem sections joined with other pieces. Maybe smaller applique stitches contributed to the thickness? I haven't done machine applique before.
                Karen, I know you mentioned that you changed your needle, but what size needle. I usually use Titanium top stitch size 90
                when I do thick applique. It is really strong. Did you try turning your hand wheel on the machine to do one stitch at a time.
                I have had to do that when sewing over flat feld seams on the sides of blue jeans. And the last idea is, if it feels like you are
                going over a big bump, you can put a stack of the really small post it notes behind the bump, when you put your presser
                foot down it is level because the pile of papers made it level. Then stitch one stitch at a time. Also grade the seams. Glad
                you were able to get your hand needle thru it. HelenW

Comment

I cut my boarders before I realized you video was up. Is there enough fabric to cut the boarders again and make them wider? If I cut wider boarders will I be able to use the ones I cut 8 1/2" wide?
                  Last edited by Ann W.; 07-02-2023, 09:44 AM.
                  Ann

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There is not an extra yard of fabric provided in the Fabric Requirements or Kit.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1993 users online. 154 members and 1839 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X