Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 5 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbara I need some help with locating a Jinny Beyer Perfect Piecer. I have search stores/websites no one has the item or knows if it can be ordered. I would like to purchase two one for my granddaughter’s birthday and one for me so i can answer her questions.
    Thanks
    Joyce

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      A quick Google search doesn’t find any for sale. Perhaps someone on the Forum has one to sell you. Start a new TOPIC asking for one for sale so maximum people will see it.

• NinaMarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Also I would highly suggest putting a search in ebay "Perfect Piecer" - it will check every day if someone lists one.

• Gopa R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I had one of those perfect Piecer loved it until I lost it on my holiday. After years of searching I found Marti Michell's 'Deluxe Corner', though it is not the same but does the job. Let me know if you have tried it Thank you Gopa
      Last edited by Gopa R.; 05-24-2023, 07:07 PM.

Is there a video for month 5 that explains the applique portion of month 5 perhaps better than the printed instructions? i've been quilting for almost 40 years, and I'm struggling with this. no problem for me doing HST. Thanks!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Month 3 video shows the same leaves. Month 5 instructions say it is the same shape as Month 3.

• Donna M. commented
      Editing a comment
      No video that I am aware of but perhaps if you look at the image of the quilt you will get the general idea that you need to find the middle of the rectangle the long way, position the two darker green leaves 3" up from the bottom where their points are touching the center fold. Stitch them down. Repeat with the light green leaves at 1 1/2" up from the bottom. Stitch those down. Place the green stem right down the middle where one end of it is even with the bottom of the rectangle. (I chose to go with a 4 1/2" stem). Stitch that down. Then, last, place the little berry over the top of the stem (making sure you have left a little more than a 1/4" at the top for seam allowance for next month's corner blocks. Stitch that down.

Originally posted by noreenquilliam View Post
    I too am having trouble with the month 5 little bud rectangle. When using stems cut at 3 1/2" the berry sits very close to the top set of leaves. Also, it looks a lot closer than in the photo of Sarah's quilt. Maybe the stems should be longer??
    The designer says 3.5” and that is what I used. It was fine. You are welcome to make the stems as long as you like.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• lehab375 commented
      Editing a comment
      I still think it was a typo. I did the 3 1/2" stems but they are not aesthetically pleasing on a 5 1/2 inch block. I re-did my stems at 4 1/2" as that is what Sarah actually used if you measure on her quilt. I am saving the 3 1/2" stems for month 10 when they will go into a 4 1/2 inch block.

Linda

• Gayle L. commented
      Editing a comment
      I used 4 1/2” as well. Worked so much better

• commented
      Editing a comment
      I find the 3.5" don't work at all. I'm going to rip all of mine out and redo with 4.5". Wish I'd found that typo sooner.

My 3.5” stems worked fine.
    Deb B
    Minnesota

Comment

I'm a bit behind on month 5. the instructions say from the 6 large triangles cut: one strip from each fabric...is this a strip of light and a strip of dark?

Comment

• Donna M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. You will be pairing them together after you make the HSTs with the background fabric. I had to do a little unsewing at the step because I was not paying attention to the fact that the lights are all to be on the outside of the border.

• NinaMarie commented
        Editing a comment
        Count me in on having to do them over - A COUPLE OF TIMES - 'cause I kept putting the colors together and not - color/background - color/background - I blame menopause!

Donna M., thank you...so cut 3 lights 3 darks ?

Comment

Originally posted by sharongail View Post
        I'm a bit behind on month 5. the instructions say from the 6 large triangles cut: one strip from each fabric...is this a strip of light and a strip of dark?
        Look at a photo of the quilt to see how Sarah places the fabrics. Pick all the fabrics for the large and small triangles and cut them as the directions state. There are separate cutting instructions for the background fabrics.

NOTE: I cut 3” and 2” strips, not 2 7/8”/1 7/8”.

I discussed this in the Month 5 LIVE broadcast.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

• commented
          Editing a comment
          Barbara when you say separate cutting instructions for background and triangles I get confused. I will always stitch a colored HST to a background until stitching up the center to complete the 2.5 x4.5 block?

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Barbara when you say separate cutting instructions for background and triangles I get confused. I will always stitch a colored HST to a background until stitching up the center to complete the 2.5 x4.5 block?
        I don’t understand the question. Can you rephrase?
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

Hi Barbara, are there any rules or prohibitions regarding me donating my finished quilt top to my guild to use as their raffle quilt? Would that be a violation of some sort? I don’t want to step on any toes or anger/offend anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Hi Barbara, are there any rules or prohibitions regarding me donating my finished quilt top to my guild to use as their raffle quilt? Would that be a violation of some sort? I don’t want to step on any toes or anger/offend anyone!
            There are no rules about donating your top. It is wise to request the permission of the designer and that is an easy email request. Most designers are happy to see their work reach a wide audience. Just be certain a permanent label credits the designer and name of the pattern on the quilt back.

This will make a great fundraiser quilt.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

Originally posted by Nfiegirl View Post
              I have all 8 stems cut at 3.5 inches...grrr! Have to go with the 4.5 inches...not happy!
              Save the 3.5” for month 10
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

I am a little behind with Homeward Bound Month 5, and am having trouble with the orientation of the stripes in the large triangles. I made all the HSTs the same, but when I flip them to place them correctly, half of them are at right angles to the others. Did I miss something, or is there a trick to solve the problem? Thank you

Comment

• lehab375 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I played with striped paper first to try to figure it out. If you want them all the go the same direction, they have to be cut separately. I ended up cutting my squares on the diagonal half from lower left to upper right and half lower right to upper left. Then I made matching sets. All of my lines go the same direction on the quilt, but I know Sarah's all went out from the center or were sideways to the center depending on the color. After working with that paper for hours, I came to the conclusion that the only way to get them to match hers was not cut squares, but cut each triangle to go the proper direction. I wasn't willing to do that. I'm OK with having all stripes go the same direction, so some of them go out from the center, but the matching colors on the other 2 sides are sideways to the center. If you don't understand what I'm trying to explain (probably very badly) take a look at my block so far in the show your progress section & you can see what I'm talking about. You will also notice that I messed up with what I thought I did, so I have 2 sides that I think I'm going to switch out to have those matching stripes! I wasn't as careful as I thought I was.

Linda

Thank you. I think my mistake was cutting the squares diagonally before testing out the stripe directions in the quilt. I was hoping that there was a ‘rule’ for this rather than the hit and miss method. Oh well, luckily there are only two striped triangles to worry about.

Comment

I'm hoping this is okay to post here, couldn't find the month that was speaking about the fraying problem. My solution is to use painters/crafters tape on the edges of the borders. Works great!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1014 users online. 144 members and 870 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X