Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 3 — Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I"m not a hand application person so I've been playing with the blanket stitch. Much harder to make objects perfectly round but it ends up I really like the look. A few more leaves to add but will wait until after the coneflowers are done.
    Ann

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Ann, You did a really good job of blanket stitching circles. Doing the pivot and keeping the inward stitch at a 90 degree angle
      is no easy task. How did you turn the edge of your circles? HelenW

• Ann W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Helen, I used the foil method and then go a little help from Roxannes glue.

My first attempt at needle turn applique
    Theresa Manning, quilter, Vermont

Comment

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Anina, Your quilt screams SPRING IS HERE!!! Very pretty. HelenW

My month 3 progress. I tried needle turn by hand again but still looked bad so went back to machine appliqué. Left 2 leaves on each block un-stitched as recommended.

Comment

• Alice commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Helen! With engineering background, choosing color is the most challenging thing for me...

• NinaMarie commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Alice, I was an engineer in my former life...then I thought I needed a bit more color in my life and started selling clothes for a living!

• Alice commented
        Editing a comment
        Yay - Great job and I’m so happy for you NinaMarie! It’s an encouragement for me to keep going too

I made half of the leaves with needle turn and the other half with the starch method. I am not a good hand sewer but I hope that this quilt will improve my skills and I had fun so far. Baerbel

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Baerbel, I like the way you used a zig zag down the middle of the stems. Looks good and adds interest. It will be fun to see
        when you compare your center of the quilt to the outside edges as your skills improve. HelenW

I needle turned 3 leaves per quadrant and will add the other leaves after next month. Having fun with all of it and using fabric I couldn't live without but wasn't sure just where I would use it. This certainly provides the place. thank you

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Marcia, Love your star fabric. Also like the way you used the same green for leaves and stems. In an explosions of colors it
        gives a little unity. Looking good. HelenW

I’m finally caught up. I’m not happy with invisible thread machine appliqué, but don’t want to start over with another technique.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Midnight 33, I agree with Carol G. Your applique looks good. I had to get my nose right up to my computer screen on the zoom to see the stitching. When I did that I could only see the stitching at all on a few of the lighter colored circles. It looks like you used
        a blanket (buttonhole) stitch. Did yo?. Normally if you are using invisible thread you don't do a decorative stitch. You could try
        a sample using the invisible thread with a 1.0- 1.0 zig zag. The needle takes a stitch right on the inside edge of the applique,
        then the next stitch is just at the edge of the applique ( almost like it is stitching in the ditch it is so close). Personally I think you
        applique is great. One more thought, that I noticed when I got my nose up to the screen. When you place your leaves, if there
        is one of those little dots on the back ground fabric right at the point it looks from a distance that the point is slightly blunted.
        Not something that anyone would notice except us quilters striving to do the impossible perfect quilt.
        Just a thought. Your quilt is going to be beautiful. Love the colors you have used. HelenW

• NinaMarie commented
        Editing a comment
        I think this looks great. Machine applique like anything is an acquired skill. Honestly, it's not a bad idea if you wanted to try a different technique in Month 4. BOM's are all about learning different skills and seeing what works best for you after all! I love, love the color choices btw!

• Cheryl L. commented
        Editing a comment
        I just completed my first machine fusible applique and like you I didn't like the way the invisible thread looked or felt. I was using a 100 weight. I didn't start over and I changed thread two more times. It is not noticeable. Also, I thought I liked the buttonhole the best on my test piece, but it seemed to m, the piece frayed more, so I changed to the zig zag and it didn't cause as much fraying. After it was done, I don't think even a judge would see all the changes and my 99 year old mother-in-law loved the piece!!

Originally posted by midnight33 View Post
      I’m finally caught up. I’m not happy with invisible thread machine appliqué, but don’t want to start over with another technique.
      Kandy you're too critical of your work. I think your circles look good.
      Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

Finally finished all those circles! Will add the rest of the leaves after I do the cornflowers. I like this quilt and am using the techniques from last year. BUT, next year let's do something different, please.

Comment

Finished month 3 just in time for month 4!

Comment

midnight33 I'm doing machine applique also [karen kay buckley for the circles and the freezer paper method for anything else]. I use a matching polyester thread on top and neutral cotton on the bottom with a small zig zag stitch [maybe 1.2 wide by 1.4 long] so it just catches the applique to background. I got a large set of embroidery thread from amazon, it has 260 colors, but even the 80 color sets offer enough variety and are inexpensive. I sort mine into bins by color and they are easier to handle and match when I need to pull them out. I love this method and by the time this is finished, quilted and washed those stitches will be invisible enough for me. Keep at it, yours looks great and finished is better than perfect!!!

Comment

I finished all the circles, and I used the Karen Kay Buckly perfect circles. I tried both methods. I rode the struggle bus trying to make the leaves. I tried several methods. I will add the other leaves next month after I do the big flowers. So, this is my progress.
              Thankful for all the access we have with the quilt show to learn and try different processes.
              Sandie T.

Comment

I am continuing to work with fabrics from West Africa. I have chosen to make my circle flowers out of yoyos. I like the dimension that this gives to the block. Ready to add some leaves!

Comment

Nearly chickened out and started again. Was going to do it in blanket stitch but persevered with needle turn applique and I'm quite happy with the results. Followed Sarah's technique for circles and leaves. Used fusible bias for stems. Love looking at everyone's choices of colors and techniques, it's a great way to learn other ways. :-)
                  Last edited by ; 03-29-2023, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Comment

• Sandie T commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I love the color of your cone flowers!

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1005 users online. 228 members and 777 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X