Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1 -- ask questions here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 1 -- ask questions here

Please use this TOPIC to ask questions about Month 1 patterns and instructions.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

are there any templates to use? Sarah showed her acrylic half square ruler.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      are there any templates to use? Sarah showed her acrylic half square ruler.
      The Star points are half square triangles. Use a ruler to cut triangles OR use squares as the written instructions explain.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL

Comment

Barba, I hope you are feeling better. Will the shop offer the fusible bias tape that Sarah uses?

Comment

Originally posted by jeaniee View Post
          Barba, I hope you are feeling better. Will the shop offer the fusible bias tape that Sarah uses?
          No. Getting it from Japan or Australia would be very cost prohibitive.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

I tried looking on Amazon for the silver get pen that is not permanent and makes a very thin line. Could not find one that meets all these requirements.
            Is the quilt show store going to carry these?
            Or has anyone found one locally?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              We could not source the pens either. The Store is still looking. Buying them from Australia would be cost prohibitive, I imagine.

• commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Judith, I'm new here on the Quilt Show site but I have done a Sarah Fielke designed quilt before. If you can't find the Uniball pens, there is another brand I've been using that works out fine. It is called Sakura Gelly Roll Metallic Gel pens. They do come in silver. DO NOT even think of using the metallic gold for applique. Silver only. I have bought these at art supply stores and amazon carries them. There are multiples packs with only silver metallic available. Good luck!

If I don't buy the templates, will I be able to make my own? Like will there be lined drawings for the shapes as they come up each month?

Thanks.

Comment

• Gayle L. commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m wondering too if the store will be selling them. I was told earlier they would be have seen nothing. Maybe someone will see this and answer.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            If I don't buy the templates, will I be able to make my own? Like will there be lined drawings for the shapes as they come up each month?

Thanks.
            Yes. The Templates In the Accessory Kit are only for the circles. All appliqué shapes are printed on the pattern. It sounds like you haven’t watched Sarah’s show yet, she shows how to prepare appliqué shape Templates from the pattern.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

How are people pressing seams on the tiny pieces? Are you pressing them open or just the way the fabric wants to go? Maybe it will be clear once I start sewing them together. Thank you.

Comment

• commented
                Editing a comment
                I always press open on 3 inches square blocks to reduce the bulk of all the seams. The square will press flatter. I do use a very small stitch length (1.5 or less ) when I press open. I will do this for the cabin block.

• lehab375 commented
                Editing a comment
                I followed the arrow directions that showed up on my instruction page. I also have a Martelli press thing (don't remember the name of it) that I use when there are multiple seams that get pressed in one spot. It has worked well to get my seams flatter.

Silly question: in the instructions for Month 1, they are saying "cut strips"...is this the WOF?

Comment

• Donna M. commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, it is WOF.

• NinaMarie commented
                Editing a comment
                Just to show you that was NOT a silly question before I watched the FB video yesterday, I was still asking what does WOF mean? LOL Can you tell I don't do a lot of pattern work?

Question about cutting fabric for Month 1. Cutting the background fabric says WOF but others just mention one strip 2" , one strip 1', etc. Are these supposed to be WOF too? There will be leftovers. Are they used in other mothers? Thanks
              Ann

Comment

• Carol G. commented
                Editing a comment
                I wasn't sure if I needed the entire WOF, so I added up the length of the combined pieces and cut that length.

Originally posted by Nfiegirl View Post
              Silly question: in the instructions for Month 1, they are saying "cut strips"...is this the WOF?
              Yes, exactly right.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

What method are you uisng for making the stems? I have always used either the Clover bias maker or the Karen Kay Buckley bias stem makers. I tried Sarah's method with the Hera marker but my stems come out uneven. I guess it is a learning curve.

Comment

• commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am using Whisperlite foundation from Thistledown Quilt Company. She has a video on how to make bias stems. It is very easy. I like it better than turning under the edges. This method is sew and turn right side out. The Whisperlite does not add bulk and is easy to turn.

I wonder if anyone has drawn the block on software for paper piecing and whether they would be willing to share this file? I worry about the precision when dealing with such small pieces and feel it would be easier by doing a paper piecing. technique, however even drawing the shape on a piece of paper is challenging...

Comment

Thank you Barb- it made me realize that I need a proper ruler and a mechanical pencil in order to do precision drawings. It all maters. It also occurred to me that the 2 strips that include the windows on the cabin could be piece as a 2.5 inches wide strip which is then cut to size for each strip afterwards. It would insure that the windows are level to their counterpart. My sewing machine would be happier with 2.5 inch strips than 1 inch.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2000 users online. 164 members and 1836 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X