Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 7 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 7 — Ask Questions Here

Please use this TOPIC to ask questions about Month 7.
    Last edited by Barbara B.; 06-29-2022, 06:36 AM.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Thank you for the early posting Barbara!

Comment

Is there or will there be a chart showing placement of blocks by number?

Comment

[QUOTE=quiltdiva1805;n893696]Is there or will there be a chart showing placement of blocks by number?[/QUOTE]

The Layout Guide shows placement by month. Find it in the Introduction section of the 2022 BOM files.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

I’m working on some of the appliqué and just discovered the QS 80 weight Para-Cotton Poly. It is amazing and hides with every color. I’m wondering, thought, how it will affect the stitching over time.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kathys4fun;n893699]I’m working on some of the appliqué and just discovered the QS 80 weight Para-Cotton Poly. It is amazing and hides with every color. I’m wondering, thought, how it will affect the stitching over time. [/QUOTE]

I use and love this thread for hand applique, hand binding, and in the bobbin for all my machine piecing. Great thread, strong, little lint, and it blends beautifully. I expect it to hold up as well as the best thread out there.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

I plan to do the 2 quilt (or wall hanging) version as you are. I'm still working on month 4 -- should I change the dimensions of any of the blocks to make the assembly easier. If not, please explain how you can assemble blocks with dissimilar sizes. Also, in this version we only make two shoefly blocks -- correct?

Comment

[[email protected];n893726]I plan to do the 2 quilt (or wall hanging) version as you are. I'm still working on month 4 -- should I change the dimensions of any of the blocks to make the assembly easier. If not, please explain how you can assemble blocks with dissimilar sizes. Also, in this version we only make two shoefly blocks -- correct?[/QUOTE]

I used 5 appliqué blocks and 4 pieced blocks for my 9 block wall hanging. It would be easiest to assemble if all the blocks are 12” square. Simply move the motifs in on the sides of the blocks that are designed to be 13” wide so they are inside the 12” space, trim to 12.5” square.

For the pieced blocks I chose to make 2 of each type.

My sashing strips are 2 different widths, 1/2” and 1” finished to accommodate the different size blocks. They look okay to me but definitely do not align in straight lines as is expected.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

Hi Barbara, I have sewn together the top blocks and my measurement is 63 inches, raw edge LH to RH. I have put together 21 triangles from the inner border but my measurement does not align (paper only). Could you possibly tell me your measurement as you have pieced the diamonds already. I was hoping to repeat the triangle first border, not sure if I can modify the diamond border to work. Thanks for any help.

Comment

[[email protected];n893761]Hi Barbara, I have sewn together the top blocks and my measurement is 63 inches, raw edge LH to RH. I have put together 21 triangles from the inner border but my measurement does not align (paper only). Could you possibly tell me your measurement as you have pieced the diamonds already. I was hoping to repeat the triangle first border, not sure if I can modify the diamond border to work. Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

Pamela, if I understand your question, the middle of your quilt measures 63” instead of 62.5”, which would be the perfect measurement. This is normal and not a big problem. You could try to find the “skimpy “ seam allowances or just work with it as is.

You want to make a Dogtooth Border next instead of a Diamond Border. You are in luck—the Diamonds are 3” across the middle and the paper pieced Dogtooth borders I designed are 3” at the lower edge—these are finished measurements.

in Month 10 there will be 5 pages of step-by-step instructions for the pieced Diamond borders. This will include instructions on how to use a “floater” border to make the pieced borders fit the center of your quilt, whatever size each is. In the meantime, I have a tutorial on my blog on how to use floater borders.

As long as the pieced border is longer than the middle of the quilt, you will be fine. It sounds like you have taped paper together to create the Dogtooth border—if there are 21 triangles, 3” each, that border should measure 63.5” including seam allowances. Be aware they may “grow” a bit in the sewing process. Mine did. The floater border fixes that.

so your plan will work, just don’t get ahead of yourself.
                    Barbara Black
                    Huntsville AL

Comment

• Molly B. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Barbara - Is there a way we could begin cutting out the diamonds for the last borders. I am not trying to get ahead or ask for anything early. I would just like to cut out these diamonds as I am cutting the squares for the four pieced blocks with the Dresden plate in the center. And if possible, could you tell me how I should cut them considering the bias of the fabric. I do have the paper templates for these diamonds that I ordered at the very beginning. Am I to assume that the templates INCLUDE the 1/4 inch seam allowance? If you are uncomfortable with this request, I understand and will not worry about going through all my fabrics again. Not a problem.

Hi Barbara, The picture for Block 8 is not the block as pictured, did I miss something? thanks,
                    Karen

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The photo with the Month 6 pattern is for the Month 8 vase. I will let the person who handles this know. The pattern is correct, just ignore the photo. My blog for Month 6 has the correct photo and all those photos are located on the monthly layout page, easily found in the Introduction file.

UPDATE: the photo has been corrected.
                      Last edited by Barbara B.; 07-19-2022, 10:24 AM.

I used my personal computer to print out all the 4 pages to make the 4 page diagram to follow for placement for months 1-6. All printed out exactly to the measurements required in the pattern. However, the pattern for month 7 appliquéd block printed out 3/4 inch smaller length and width than the required dimensions once I taped the four pages together. I know I will have to adjust a printer at my local copy store to get the right dimensions. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Comment

I found the answer to my issue. My printer was set on 94% instead of 100%. Resolved!

Comment

[QUOTE=MollyBurgess;n893871]Barbara - Is there a way we could begin cutting out the diamonds for the last borders. I am not trying to get ahead or ask for anything early. I would just like to cut out these diamonds as I am cutting the squares for the four pieced blocks with the Dresden plate in the center. And if possible, could you tell me how I should cut them considering the bias of the fabric. I do have the paper templates for these diamonds that I ordered at the very beginning. Am I to assume that the templates INCLUDE the 1/4 inch seam allowance? If you are uncomfortable with this request, I understand and will not worry about going through all my fabrics again. Not a problem.[/QUOTE]

I answered this in Month 6 —ask questions here. I understand that would make it hard to find but that is where it is. June 13, 2022 is the date:

[url]https://thequiltshow.com/forum/block-of-the-month-bom/bom-2022-garden-party-down-under/893445-month-6-—-ask-questions-here[/url]

No, the paper diamonds do not include the seam allowances. They are designed for hand appliqué preparation. Irene has instructions for her method using them. I wrote detailed instructions for my pieced method, those instructions will be available Month 10.
                        Last edited by Barbara B.; 08-03-2022, 01:34 PM.
                        Barbara Black
                        Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1254 users online. 247 members and 1007 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25246   Active Members: 1,500  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X