Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 2 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 2 — Ask Questions Here

Please use this Topic for questions about Month 2.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Barbara, What weight vellum did you get to put through the printer? I had purchased one that was too light to go through without shredding.

Comment

Barbara, my printer pints out the templates or patterns 1/4” smaller than 1”. I don’t mind having the quilt smaller. I don’t have anything thing checked in my printer settings. I do use my iPad to printout the patterns. I have not cut fabric to use yet, just prepping for now.

Comment

• Donna B. commented
        Editing a comment
        I used my laptop for printing but our printer default setting makes the pattern smaller. I was okay for Month 1 but the vine border has to measure exactly. I figured out how to print larger: Select "Print", go to "More Settings" (it was set to Fit to Size) so I increased the Size to 103. It was set for 97. Now it's perfect. Good Luck!

[QUOTE=Doses;n891762]Barbara, my printer pints out the templates or patterns 1/4” smaller than 1”. I don’t mind having the quilt smaller. I don’t have anything thing checked in my printer settings. I do use my iPad to printout the patterns. I have not cut fabric to use yet, just prepping for now. [/QUOTE]

Printing from the Ipad is the problem. Last year some found they needed to se an app on their tablet/phone from their printer manufacturer to be sure they could print correctly. Print from a computer for best results when size is important.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL

Comment

I decided to make this beautiful BOM using the silks from my stash. I am doing all the applique, piecing and embroidery by hand. Here is the result for month #1.

Comment

• Charlene L. commented
          Editing a comment
          That is absolutely beautiful! You did an amazing job on this block.

• Leslie M. commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks like Dupioni silk. How elegant!

• Jean M. commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice - definitely like the color choices you picked.

Just starting Month 1 as I had a backlog of customer quilts to longarm. There was no "ask questions here" for Month 1, so I went to Month 2. Is anyone else experiencing some frustration with making the (30) 1/2" circle for berries on Block #1? I am using Karen K Buckley's Perfect Circles, and my circles are anything but perfect. It seems my fingers are big and get in the way and it is awkward.
        My circles have tiny points here and there. Once I got a system, I timed myself and my best time is 25 minutes for 3 circles, so it will take 250 minutes (4+ hours) just to make these berries, not position them or machine applique them. The berries are the only thing I'm doing for GPDU at the moment, aside from washing and sorting fabrics, printing instructions and tracing the leaves and flowers to save print and fuse sheets. Just wondering if this month has been intensive for most of you, or am I just clumsy and slow? Thanks.

Comment

• Donna B. commented
          Editing a comment
          It was intense for me and I gave up other things I normally do to get this done. I haven't appliqued in 22 years. The berries were the hardest. I didn't have luck with the perfect circles either for this smaller size. I used a wash away fusible, a glue stick and my appliquik tool set. The circles turned out much better and quicker. Good luck and don't get discouraged.

• soniasimone commented
          Editing a comment
          It will get smoother and easier! They're fiddly at first.

Sometimes you can smooth out the little points and pleats in the circles by taking smaller running stitches to gather the fabric around the templates. You can also experiment with whether you iron them dry, with some steam, or with a bit of Best Press. I like the Best Press, and I try to smooth the damp fabric around the template before I get the iron on it.

There are other methods, too, but my guess is you'll find your groove with the Perfect Circles and you'll be set.

• Donna L. commented
          Editing a comment
          This may not be the answer you want. But it worked for me. I used felt for all of the small circles cut with my appliquilt cutter.
          I did sew them down with a small blanket stitch.

[QUOTE=passionforcolor;n891812]Just starting Month 1 as I had a backlog of customer quilts to longarm. There was no "ask questions here" for Month 1, so I went to Month 2. Is anyone else experiencing some frustration with making the (30) 1/2" circle for berries on Block #1? I am using Karen K Buckley's Perfect Circles, and my circles are anything but perfect. It seems my fingers are big and get in the way and it is awkward.
        My circles have tiny points here and there. Once I got a system, I timed myself and my best time is 25 minutes for 3 circles, so it will take 250 minutes (4+ hours) just to make these berries, not position them or machine applique them. The berries are the only thing I'm doing for GPDU at the moment, aside from washing and sorting fabrics, printing instructions and tracing the leaves and flowers to save print and fuse sheets. Just wondering if this month has been intensive for most of you, or am I just clumsy and slow? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

There IS a Month 1 —Ask Questions Here. Each month will have Ask Questions Here and Show Progress Here topics, two separate Topics each month.

Month 1 is the most time-consuming month, they all get easier from here. The block is the largest, full of flowers, leaves, stems and berries and you are learning all the skills.

For those small berries, my advice is be sure you don’t make the seam allowances too big. They are really small—if the seam allowances are 1/4” or more there will be puckers as the excess fabric can’t lay flat. You should have 4 KKB circle templates for that size, try making 4 at once. You might find it very helpful to watch Karen Buckley’s show or her segment on the Master Class for Applique as she shows how to make circles her way. use the SEARCH box at the very top of this website—type in her name and the shows will come right up.

I trace the cut size circle on the back of the fabric using a circle drawing tool, found at office supply stores in the drafting section. At night while watching TV I cut the circles out and run the basting stitches in the seam allowance. The next day it is quick work to put the plastic circle inside the basting, pull, press, wait a few seconds, take out the plastic, snug up the basting again and it’s done.

once you get a system it will be faster.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Barbara, Thank you for the detailed description of how you handled your berries. I am sure it will help a lot of the users of the forum. I know I took a couple notes from it. HelenW

Doing machine appliqué for the vines, when they cross over each other, do you go back and sew over this area?

Comment

• soniasimone commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't see that the vines do cross over each other ... can you let us know which area you mean?

I have nearly finished Month 2 - have yet to add the dogtooth borders. I have discovered something that may have been omitted from the pattern diagrams as well as the info shared by Barbara. In the original quilt by Irene there are two additional leaf appliques in the corners where the extended vines go under the diagonal seam of the 'basket'. These are not drawn on the pattern of the HST that is the corner piece, nor in the overall picture which is a guide for Month 2, so it is easy to miss them. In the directions Irene does say under Border 2, Applique - #5 - '4 leaves on each border are sewn after borders 2 and 3 are sewn to the quilt'. And again under Border 3, #6 'Now sew the 2 leaves in each of the borders and 2 leaves in each of the corner squares'. I guess my lesson is to read ALL the instructions as Barbara so often reminds us!

Comment

• Jean M. commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw those when I was looking closely at the quilt picture then forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder.

[QUOTE=DebbiG;n891896]I have nearly finished Month 2 - have yet to add the dogtooth borders. I have discovered something that may have been omitted from the pattern diagrams as well as the info shared by Barbara. In the original quilt by Irene there are two additional leaf appliques in the corners where the extended vines go under the diagonal seam of the 'basket'. These are not drawn on the pattern of the HST that is the corner piece, nor in the overall picture which is a guide for Month 2, so it is easy to miss them. In the directions Irene does say under Border 2, Applique - #5 - '4 leaves on each border are sewn after borders 2 and 3 are sewn to the quilt'. And again under Border 3, #6 'Now sew the 2 leaves in each of the borders and 2 leaves in each of the corner squares'. I guess my lesson is to read ALL the instructions as Barbara so often reminds us! [/QUOTE]

Debbi, you win the prize. The two leaves at each basket were omitted from the pattern which we received last May. They were added after the photo was sent to me. My sample quilt doesn’t have the leaves at the baskets nor does this new sample. Oh, well, that’s OK with me.

You can see the leaves in this photo of Irene’s completed quilt. She added them after she designed the pattern.

I have UPDATED the blog and will add 8 more leaves to my sample in progress.
        Last edited by Barbara B.; 02-12-2022, 10:36 PM.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

• Molly B. commented
          Editing a comment
          I too noticed the corner leaves. I think they give the vines/leaves a good balance however I may position them a little differently. Month 1 was intense! Month 2 a bit easier but there are lots of pieces to each vine border. I want to keep on schedule, as I want to ensure I finish this quilt!!

Is there somewhere that shows or gives instructions on how to cut the individual colored triangles for the Dogtooth Border? I had trouble with the paper piecing last month and want to make sure I have the colored triangles big enough, but not too big, for fear of wasting too much fabric.
        Thanks, Jane

Comment

[QUOTE=msjane;n891979]Is there somewhere that shows or gives instructions on how to cut the individual colored triangles for the Dogtooth Border? I had trouble with the paper piecing last month and want to make sure I have the colored triangles big enough, but not too big, for fear of wasting too much fabric.
          Thanks, Jane[/QUOTE]

Did you read the blog that shows how to cut the Dogtooth triangles for paper piecing? Cut strips 4" and use a 60 degree line to cut them--photos provided there.. For needle turn Irene provided an oversize template using 3/8" seams.

[url]https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/2022/01/gpdu-month-1-part-3.html[/url]

The blogs each month provide LOTS of detailed information and should be read before beginning. For month 1 there was so much information there were 3 blog posts. Going forward there should just be one, as there was for Month 2.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

• Jane P. commented
            Editing a comment
            Barbara, I did read the blog about the dogtooth border, several times. It never gives any dimensions for cutting the individual colored triangles, only the background 4" strip method. I wanted some measurements for making the single colored triangles. I got the background triangles cut just fine. I hope that makes sense.

[QUOTE=msjane;n892017]Barbara, I did read the blog about the dogtooth border, several times. It never gives any dimensions for cutting the individual colored triangles, only the background 4" strip method. I wanted some measurements for making the single colored triangles. I got the background triangles cut just fine. I hope that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

For paper piecing the colored triangles and the background triangles are the same size.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

Barbara, I purchased the kit for GPDU and am using one of the light fabrics (Moda #1584-11) for the background of the vine border and sawtooth borders for Month 1 and Month 2. I discovered I don’t have enough of the background fabric to complete the outer sawtooth border. I have followed your instructions on cutting, am doing the paper foundation version, and have completed one of the four strips. I am contacting the TQS shop to see if they have extra of that fabric. I’m feeling very frustrated.

Comment

[QUOTE=QuilTena;n892078]Barbara, I purchased the kit for GPDU and am using one of the light fabrics (Moda #1584-11) for the background of the vine border and sawtooth borders for Month 1 and Month 2. I discovered I don’t have enough of the background fabric to complete the outer sawtooth border. I have followed your instructions on cutting, am doing the paper foundation version, and have completed one of the four strips. I am contacting the TQS shop to see if they have extra of that fabric. I’m feeling very frustrated. [/QUOTE]

There was one yard of this fabric in the Kit and that should be enough to do both Dogtooth borders and the vine if you cut 3 strips 5.5” (16.5”) for the Vine borders and piece one of them. The background triangles for paper piecing can be cut from 3 strips 4” wide (12”). From the rest you can cut the 4 corner blocks and basket HST.

The shop never had yardage of these fabrics, the Kits came in already cut and packaged. If you still need more you have two choices: substitute something similar for the Dogtooth triangles OR find more of that specific fabric—several places have some for sale online.

I have been known to piece smaller pieces of fabric to make pieces large enough to use, if I have leftover fabric that isn’t large enough. When done the seams are not visible.

For your situation, if it were me, I would substitute something similar for the remaining outer Dogtooth borders. Only you can decide what is best for you.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2112 users online. 220 members and 1892 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X