Our Sponsors

VASE FABRICS -- a BRILLIANT TIP

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VASE FABRICS -- a BRILLIANT TIP

A student in my local class yesterday showed us a brilliant tip for auditioning fabrics for vases--use a WINDOW TEMPLATE.

She traced the vase shape on a piece of copy paper and cut out the shape, leaving a window that is the exact shape of the vase. I learned about this tip a hundred years ago but had forgotten about it.

This will be particularly helpful with the Kit fabrics. My eye doesn't "see" a vase, just unusual fabric. Move the window around to see the possibilities. Being able to see exactly what the vase will look like before cutting it out is Brilliant!

When you like what you see, for hand applique. simply draw a line carefully around the edge of the paper--pin the paper to the fabric to prevent slipping. For machine applique with fusible stabilizer, draw the line on the back, use a light box if necessary, then carefully place the fusible on the back. If you can't seer through the fabric, mark on the front with a marker you know will come out: chalk or a self-eraser marker.

Thank you, Amanda D!
    Last edited by Barbara B.; 01-09-2022, 07:35 AM.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Great suggestion!

Comment

[QUOTE=Barbara Black;n890943]A student in my local class yesterday showed us a brilliant tip for auditioning fabrics for vases--use a WINDOW TEMPLATE.

She traced the vase shape on a piece of copy paper and cut out the shape, leaving a window that is the exact shape of the vase. I learned about this tip a hundred years ago but had forgotten about it.

This will be particularly helpful with the Kit fabrics. My eye doesn't "see" a vase, just unusual fabric. Move the window around to see the possibilities. Being able to see exactly what the vase will look like before cutting it out is Brilliant!

When you like what you see, for hand applique. simply draw a line carefully around the edge of the paper--pin the paper to the fabric to prevent slipping. For machine applique with fusible stabilizer, draw the line on the back, use a light box if necessary, then carefully place the fusible on the back. If you can't seer through the fabric, mark on the front with a marker you know will come out: chalk or a self-eraser marker.

Thank you, Amanda D![/QUOTE]

Thank You Barbara for sharing Amanda's tip. I definitely plan to use it for more than just this project. Like you said. Just brilliant.
      I too had done this before, but a really long time ago. HelenW

Comment

What a great idea. I have done this in the distant past glad to be reminded.

Comment

“Fussy cuts” with window templates are a great way to audition fabrics! When I use a window template for multiple pieces that are the same shape (lots of the leaves and flowers in this center block use the same teardrop shape) I trace the shape onto freezer paper, fuse the freezer paper shape to an old Manila folder, then use an exacto knife to remove the window area. This gives me a stable shape for auditioning as well as something to hold while I draw the shape on fabric. It is also lots easier to trace the inside of a window template than try to hold a small shape and trace around the outside.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

• Helen W. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Margo, I will definitely use your freezer paper and manila envelope technique. HelenW

• Eileen K. commented
            Editing a comment
            Good idea, Margo! Thank you.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1483 users online. 599 members and 884 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,336 at 06:30 PM on 06-14-2021.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,881   Posts: 149,553   Members: 19895   Active Members: 3,526  
        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

• Month 1 -- Ask Questions Here
          Please use THIS TOPIC to ask questions about Month 1 of GPDU, both the Applique' block and the Dogtooth borders.
        • MONTH 1 -- Show Progress Here
          Please use THIS TOPIC to post photos of your progress with Month 1 of GPDU.
        • No more items.
        Working...
        X