Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Backgrounds--what size to cut them?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backgrounds--what size to cut them?

I am often asked for information for future months and I resist providing that in advance. It confuses people.

Feeling especially helpful today, I think it would be beneficial to know what size the backgrounds will be cut--especially for those working with the Kit. So, here goes:

You are safe cutting backgrounds for the vase blocks 14" (H) x 15" (W)--they don't all need to be that size, a few are 1" narrower, but I will not provide detailed monthly information now. 14" x 15" will do it.

The narrow vases in Months 10 and 11 are made from different backgrounds for all four vases--each background is cut 16" x 8" -- I mentioned this on the LIVE today.

For Month 2, the backgrounds need to be 23.5" x 5.5", there are four of those--BUT WAIT--the Month 2 Video and my Month 2 blog will tell you how you can cut only 2 strips of fabric to get the four backgrounds, IF you are willing to have a seam in two of them. Month 2 patterns, video and blog come out February 1.

No more HINTS in advance.
    Last edited by Barbara B.; 01-22-2022, 10:19 PM.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Hello! I appreciate the helpful hints, this is the first time working from a kit. My confusion lies in the fact that I am not told which piece of fabric to use for the backgrounds. As I look at the kit materials, the gray on whites that are in the kit are different sizes. What if I cut a piece for the small center and then am short later on for one of the bigger blocks? Am I missing something? Thanks for your help and support.

Comment

• Katy commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m so glad you asked this question as it’s been playing on my mind too. Thank you.

• barbara b. commented
      Editing a comment
      How big should I cut the block background for Block 1?

[QUOTE=Gentzyel;n890898]Hello! I appreciate the helpful hints, this is the first time working from a kit. My confusion lies in the fact that I am not told which piece of fabric to use for the backgrounds. As I look at the kit materials, the gray on whites that are in the kit are different sizes. What if I cut a piece for the small center and then am short later on for one of the bigger blocks? Am I missing something? Thanks for your help and support.[/QUOTE]

The center block is the biggest, so you'll want to use one of the four larger background pieces in your kit. (Barbara answered this in the questions topic.) You probably saw this, but be sure you set aside the 1 1/3 yards of gray stripe for the border, and do not cut into that.

I'd suggest you watch the Facebook Live, but I think you'll be fine. I believe the blocks are worked from larger to smaller, so you should be safe in not running out of a fabric needed for a larger block.

I would definitely watch the Month 2 instructions on how to cut the backgrounds for that month.
    Hand piecer, big-stitch quilter, pattern tweaker 

Comment

Since I know Barbara, personally, I know how much she does not like to give out info ahead of time. I am grateful for this info even though I am not working with the kit. I don't have a large stash and am trying to use up what I have as much as possible. I, frequently, donate stash fabrics to keep it from taking over my house. Many thanks to Barbara for the guidance and especially her Optional Alternative Methods.

Comment

I ask this question early on so I am so glad to have this information. I was in a panic about running out of the kit background fabrics so I used one from my stash to begin.
        Susan Skeel
        Des Moines Iowa

Comment

[QUOTE=forster;n891377]How big should I cut the block background for Block 1?[/QUOTE]

Go to the pattern for Month 1 for this information. Your question is unclear. You might be asking the size to cut before starting OR you might be asking what size to trim when completed.

The pattern provides both of these important measurements--please go to the pattern for the measurements.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL
          https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1992 users online. 156 members and 1836 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X