Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 3--ask questions here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheryl asked about how to press seams when joining the Small Houses into pairs. Both my blog for Month 3 and the LIVE Video and the Month 3 Video tell you to press the seam OPEN.

Those resources can be very helpful.

Barbara Black
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I am confused. On the top section of SH 3, pieces h and i are 1.5 x 1.5, but the window is 1.25 x 2. ????
      Should the window be cut larger or the side pieces cut smaller to fit together? (apart from cutting pieces larger to make sewing easier).

Comment

Originally posted by jennafloyd View Post
        I am unable to find the document button for this. It keeps telling me to join or renew my membership which is active until 2022.
        Be sure you are logged in with your email address. If that doesn’t work, send an email to Customer Service.

Barbara Black
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

Originally posted by gradyk View Post
          I am confused. On the top section of SH 3, pieces h and i are 1.5 x 1.5, but the window is 1.25 x 2. ????
          Should the window be cut larger or the side pieces cut smaller to fit together? (apart from cutting pieces larger to make sewing easier).
          The pieces are cut over size for paper piecing, not to be sewn to each other.

My Month 3 Blog, Video and LIVE all said to cut the windows larger for ease in placement. I explained I don’t cut anything smaller than 1.5” even though the smaller size will work.

Those 3 resources supplement the patterns and will really help.

Barbara Black

Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

My month 3 houses with backgrounds are not as tall as month one (by 1/2 inch+!! The ). Will I be able to compensate for this with the trees?
            (They are consistent. All house 1 and 2 line up fine and then the 3 and 4 houses are equal, just not as tall as houses 1 and 2. My pattern scale was fine when I checked the 1 inch scale. )

Comment

Originally posted by jpopov View Post
              My month 3 houses with backgrounds are not as tall as month one (by 1/2 inch+!! The ). Will I be able to compensate for this with the trees?
              (They are consistent. All house 1 and 2 line up fine and then the 3 and 4 houses are equal, just not as tall as houses 1 and 2. My pattern scale was fine when I checked the 1 inch scale. )
              Jpopov Just looking at the picture of the pattern, it looks like you still might be a bit short where the tree curves start and meet the next tree curve. Could you just make a sky extension of a half inch and add it at the top. Use the shape of the paper pattern to get the correct size. If you have to you could use the paper pattern for house l and 2 since you said they are correct. Another option would be to cut new sky pieces the correct
              size even if you have to use the sky from house 1 and 2. It might take some trial and error. I would want to solve the problem of why it happened.You still have a lot of the quilt to make and you don't want to have to compensate on every new month. Good Luck. Let us know
              how you solve it. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by jpopov View Post
                Yes, you will be able to compensate with the treetops.

Barbara Black

Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

Does someone have the schedule for which block we will do each month? I’m thinking of changing my outer ring background—again! So, I need to know when we will be working on that.

thanks, got the schedule. I did try searching while logged in but must not had the right correct words.
                  Last edited by Pam G.; 03-08-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Carole B. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pam, If you search within the Forums, you'll often find the answer. In this case, there is a string on this subject at: https://thequiltshow.com/forum/block...block-schedule

• Barbara B. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pam, Carole B was spot on--use the Search the Forum box on the left side. I put in Schedule and came right to the Post she linked for you.

Barbara Black

Scoring the wax paper. I want to say, I love this BOM, I've kept up with the videos but haven't followed the forum for a bit, so someone may have mentioned scoring the wax paper.. My least favorite part of this project is folding the wax paper and trying to get it accurate. I was spending too much time on that portion of the project. Then I thought I'd score the wax paper. I used the non-serrated edge of a butter knife and my ruler and scored the lines to be folded. I was able to fold the wax paper accurately and quickly. It is a real time saver and so simple to do.

I'm a bit behind, but catching up. Almost done with my Mariner's Compass. Then I should have small house 3 and 4 completed by the end of March. Loving this project!!!

Comment

I had the same question. Decided to press open. Barbara - any recommendations?

Comment

Does it matter how you mix up the four houses? And when sewing the houses together, are there any seams that require matching?

Comment

Originally posted by LLT View Post
                        Does it matter how you mix up the four houses? And when sewing the houses together, are there any seams that require matching?
                        It doesn’t matter how you arrange them, no seams to match. Pattern says to put them 1,2,3,4, but color is most important factor.

Did you watch the LIVE or the Month 3 video or read my Month 3 blog post? This is addressed in those supplemental instructions.

BARBARA BLACK
                        Barbara Black
                        Huntsville AL

Comment

I'm not understanding how to cut the background for house 1-4. I'm using Barbara's shortcut template and cutting half with right side of fabric up and half with right side of fabric down, but then how to I pull them when I go to add them to the blocks? This is really confusing me and holding me up. Appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by tapestry1 View Post
                            I'm not understanding how to cut the background for house 1-4. I'm using Barbara's shortcut template and cutting half with right side of fabric up and half with right side of fabric down, but then how to I pull them when I go to add them to the blocks? This is really confusing me and holding me up. Appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you!
                            Valerie, they are the last two pieces sewn on the top section of each house. The speed cutting template pages tell you the letter they are: n,o,j,k. Add the piece that corresponds to the pattern piece called for as you complete the top section of each house.

BARBARA BLACK
                            Barbara Black
                            Huntsville AL

Comment

Thank you for your answer. I' not understanding if for 1 block 3 as an example, I use one piece that was cut right side up and one piece that was cut wrong side up. That is really my question.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2217 users online. 182 members and 2035 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25591   Active Members: 1,291  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X